Positive aspects of mod collection integration with Vortex

mkr1977

All I see are negative comments about aggregation of mods via automated processes, meaning mod collections, but these people are a very vocal minority. I am a mod author myself (of very minor skill), but I have been able to get donation points from Nexus quite regularly from my own contributions, which are small. Under the mod collections system, people will continue to get DP points from Nexus, and probably at a much higher rate.

My own mods are tweaks that have very low visibility. The visibility can't get any lower and mod collections aren't going to make that worse. If some of my mods are included in a popular mod collection and are actually played, the visibility of my mods would sky rocket.

I've seen many anti mod collection comments to the effect that if someone does not have the skill or time to invest in modding, then they do not deserve to use mods. I have seen comments that say that mod collections with incompatibilities will be released, causing more complaints in the original mod author's comments section. I think these claims are tendentious.

The entire reason for existence of the mod collections is to take the guesswork out of increasingly difficult mod installs. How popular is a broken mod collection going to be when it will be competing with mod collections that work as promised? I consider myself far more adept than most users of Nexus when it comes to arranging mods, but the last time I attempted an extensive modded Fallout 4, I failed. I spent hours on it. Mod collections would fix that and bring the fun back to mods.

I am going to make a prediction. Mod collections will bring about a renaissance of modding and bring a huge number of people into modding, both as mod 'consumers' and as mod authors. It will make the modding scene more egalitarian and less prone to cliquishness, which is the reason, I surmise, that a tiny minority have pulled their mods. No matter. The future of modding is bright.

To be real mod collections can be anything at this point.

If they actually are powerful enough to take a full modded game + settings + tweaks and easily set it all up, then it's going to be amazing for everyone I think.

If they can't handle the ini changes that many mods require or can't streamline things such as script extenders and other nuances, then it'll be meh.

To be real mod collections can be anything at this point.

If they actually are powerful enough to take a full modded game + settings + tweaks and easily set it all up, then it's going to be amazing for everyone I think.

If they can't handle the ini changes that many mods require or can't streamline things such as script extenders and other nuances, then it'll be meh.

Right on. We are going to see if Vortex is up to the task. They've been working on this for 2 years or so now. I certainly hope Vortex can handle it.

i would be with it or at least neutral. the way things are handled to the soly disavantage of mod authors and the irrational mod dependencies of vortex do not convince me at all as reasonable and that this chosen way, including communication, was a good idea.

Guest deleted34304850

vortex is developed by nexusmods, the mods are stored on nexusmods infrastructure, so it stands to reason that this is going to be developed by nexusmods using the mod manager they have developed.

there is an api for other methods, but, from the very little that has been released about this, vortex seems to be the most seamless method of enabling collections, so it's far from irrational that they are going to do this with vortex in mind.

all the other stuff has been discussed to death elsewhere, please don't start again, i don't want these forums polluted with endless bickering.

The current problem for me is, that the support in Vortex for a more straight Donation System is zero. I have over 200 mods in skyrim, and I can not directly see what mods want straight donations. I can not easely split up a fixed monthly amount I have available between my installed mods. With large collections players will even kow less of that. They may not even know what feature comes from what mod. So an option where I could give a donation to a installed collection, and the collection curator splitts it up by a viewable (and maybe individualy adjustable) table would be really helpfull.

The general donation system over "unique downloads this month" has the problem for me that donations go to a lot of mods that are installed for testing and deleted again in a short time, because of problems or no real use. And if you make 100 single item mods and someone packs them in a collection, does that count as 100 unique downloads, or one? And something like "Beyond skyrim..." or a total makeover is also a single unique download?

As for negative comments I really do not understand, why they could not make a simple opt in. "Mod is availbale for use in collections an can not be deleted as soon as it is used in a collection" and "Mod is not available for use in collections and can be deleted any time". That is a simple standard restriction you can do in databases. No one would have to leave vortex if they want to be able to delete their mod. And the simplified direct donation system would make collections interesting for modders.

First time poster, because currently some mods I have are retracted. And that is realy anoying.