Should weapons reload automatically?

hucker75

Best not to have an "automatic" reload - and do it manually.

You know exactly what weapons are in your arsenal - and how many rounds they hold.

Personally, I like the reload mechanic - so I tend to favor small load weapons.

Double Rifle - 2 shots.

Double Barrel Sawed Off Shotty - 2 shots.

Thompson/Center Contender - 1 shot.

Colt Python - 6 shots - but it's sequence reloads all 6 rounds at once no matter how many you still have in the cylinder. Dump and reload.

Remington 700 - 3 or 5 rd magazine depending on caliber. Anything more for a Bolt-Action sniper rifle and you should be using a semi-auto DMR instead.

Only time you ever need to concern yourself with an automatic reload is when you are relying on one of those high capacity weapons that you forget how much is still in the magazine. Why? Because you don't reload very often to begin with and you forget.......

When I'm concentrating on dodging enemy fire, watching my health, etc, etc, I don't want to have to think about how many rounds I have left. I don't have to tell my character to use his left foot then his right when running, I just say "run". When the ammo runs out he should just reload. The problem appears to be the character has a memory size of 1. If I press the key to stimpak, he forgets he was in the middle of reloading.

Problem with an auto reload is it literally makes specific action weapons into pseudo semi-auto weapons.

Double Action shotgun - when the game engine rams a reload down your throat because you were out of ammo. Throw Quick Hands on top of that - you see the issue.

It's compensating for my inattention to playing the game - and I never want a game to do that.

Problem with an auto reload is it literally makes specific action weapons into pseudo semi-auto weapons.

Double Action shotgun - when the game engine rams a reload down your throat because you were out of ammo. Throw Quick Hands on top of that - you see the issue.

It's compensating for my inattention to playing the game - and I never want a game to do that.

But the game does autoreload. It just forgets if you were doing something like taking a stimpack at the same time.

Yeah, I have noticed that only one animation can play, and actually take affect. So, stimpack, or reload your weapon. If you interrupt the reload anim with a stimpack, your weapon does not reload. :D I think switching weapons during an animation event will also stop the reload.

Yeah, I have noticed that only one animation can play, and actually take affect. So, stimpack, or reload your weapon. If you interrupt the reload anim with a stimpack, your weapon does not reload. :D I think switching weapons during an animation event will also stop the reload.

I'd forgotten that, it's even manual reloads that get interrupted. I hit reload, he starts doing so. I hit stimpack, he takes the stimpack and leaves the gun empty. Ok, stimpack could be more urgent, but surely remember to continue where he left off?

I'd forgotten that, it's even manual reloads that get interrupted. I hit reload, he starts doing so. I hit stimpack, he takes the stimpack and leaves the gun empty. Ok, stimpack could be more urgent, but surely remember to continue where he left off?

The player in this game is suffering from a severe case of "One Track Mind". :) Change course in the middle of an action, and he/she forgets what they were doing previously. :D

The player in this game is suffering from a severe case of "One Track Mind". :smile: Change course in the middle of an action, and he/she forgets what they were doing previously. :D

I thought one track mind meant thinking about sex all the time.

Well, that would distract you from reloading as well, especially if you were in combat with a bunch of women. :D (or, whatever sex you happen to be attracted to. :) )

Automatic reload for me is one of the most annoying features of FO4. It should at least be absent in Survival mode. Managing ammo is an important aspect of combat and taking it away is just bad. I would even vote for a system where you have to manually repeat weapons which you had to ... repeat manually in real world, like the hunting rifle. Plus a system of jams, mostly for semi-automatics and automatics, as balance, and because jams are not so seldom in an environment of dust, dirt and decay (I use a mod for this but I'm not sure wether it works or not). Pipe weapons should be affected the most by jams, of course