How far ahead of the game is the i5 3570k?

Dubnoman

oh i agree on 8gb being the minimum. i was disagreeing with people saying youll NEED at LEAST 12gb+.

i read something where they are guessing that 3.5GB of PS4 ram will be unusable. leaving only 4.5GB Free. though thats unconfirmed atm. but the XBONE uses a confirmed 3GB, leaving only 5GB Free, so i would imagine the PS4 isnt too far from that.

ok, my last argument. if having 8gb meant you were going to use it, then PC games would have started using it a long time ago. having 12gb minimum only means youll have like 6gb to spare.

also getting 12gb would be stupid unless you have a triple channel memory board. if you have duel channel, like most boards, you should get 16gb. unless you have 3gb sticks. otherwise your neglecting a feature of your mobo. and since you are all about performance (hence the need for an extra 4gb of ram on top of the 2-3gb extra ram you already had) youd be contradicting your own need by only getting 12gb.

so in short, get 16gb if you are that worried.

Once I see some games utilize 8 GB of RAM, I'll upgrade to 16 GB, being that extra RAM will be needed for Windows and other applications and programs. Maybe 12 GB would be all that is needed, but hoofhearted was making a point about dual channel, triple channel, and memory. How can you determine your motherboard supports triple channel memory? My motherboard probably only supports dual channel, anyway.

I'm still not sure if I'll crossfire with my current card. My card will be plenty good for quite a while. What I may do instead is buy a GPU in the second part of 2014 or first part of 2015 (from the latest Radeon or Geforce line) that has 4 GB of VRAM and then 12-18 months later buy another one of the same GPU and then crossfire/SLI them. I'll want two GPUs with at least 4 GB VRAM, since the VRAM amounts don't stack. Now whenever I get this GPU upgrade, it'll be at least a 4 GB GPU. Depending on what is available and at what price, I may get one with more VRAM than 4 GB and then get a second one of the same card later for crossfire. It depends on what is available when I'm ready to get a new GPU and buy a single card. I'd go for a card that is $350-$450. $500 or more is too much for a GPU for me.

If I had two GPUs at at least 4 GB VRAM a piece, with at least 4 GB VRAM in total to use, with a system RAM upgrade to 16 GB and taking my i5 and overclocking it, this would carry me strong through a large part of next gen.

Edited by Dubnoman

you'd have to look it up. from what I've seen the vast majority of sandy and ivy bridge are duel channel. only a very few of the high end boards are triple channel. Idk about the new Haswell stuff but I'd guess is the same. the x58 and sandy bridge-e was mostly triple channel.

Given the price may as well get 32GB and be really, really sure. "Power's good, it never gets old" -Chris Rado, American Drag Racer.

Actually, having too much RAM can become a problem depending on the OS. Although most people will never encounter an issue within the current generation, Even Win 8 can get a little wonky when you get close to using more than 28gb or so RAM just because it has trouble managing the data size in an efficient manner. Java, and many other programs have similar problems when they start trying to use more than 4gb.

I would however still suggest atleast 12gb or 16gb RAM installed on a gaming PC these days. It isn't so much the game that needs that much RAM, but rather the fact that you usually have a handful of other stuff running in the background

on that note. Idk how people can leave stuff open. like 100s of. browser tabs and applications and stuff. I literally never keep anything open if I'm not using it. open things seem unorganized and messy to me so my OCD won't let me keep stuff open. I like a clean organized PC lol.