Is enchanting a bit too dark for good characters?

hyralux

Do you skin animals for leather or fur?

Do you eat their meat?

Do you use any such items that have leather or fur as a material even if you didn't make it?

If you have no compunctions with that, why do you have compunctions with soul gems? Black souls I can understand, but white souls?

There's a difference between killing and condeming a soul to eternal damnation.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between killing and condeming a soul to eternal damnation.

If you didn't use a soul gem, that true. If you used it, the soul is free.

No man. It works exactly like this: soul trap an entity, kill it, its soul go into the gem (See azura's star quest). Use this soul gem to power/enchant, the energy is used, the soul itself is sent to Soul Cairn.

"When a soul is trapped in a Black Soul Gem and its energy used to power an enchantment, the remnant—the soul itself—is sent to the Soul Cairn."

It's also worth pointing that the Soul Fissures in that place seem to fill white souls gems, if you don't have any black soul gem. I have come to believe this is what becomes of animal souls used in enchantment.

Edited by toquinho97

If the bunnies of Skyrim could speak they would say, "Eat of my haunch that I may nourish you. Capture my soul in your petty soul gem so that I may help add multiple enchantments to your Elven daggers." Since they cannot talk you just have to guess their wishes. In rabbit lore, they live on via the enchantment. That way they can be immersive.

Please don't try this with chickens. Especially if the guards are watching.

It depends, you can capture souls and still roleplay "good" character, if brutal murdering person can be any good... We kill lots of people, monsters and etc. As for me, I kill only those who are hostile to me, no matter the fact those poor sods have no chance against all mighty dragonborn, and explain it to yourself as kill in self defence. If you need enchanting, you don't have to kill and capture every other creature you come across. You can even completely avoid using white soul gems, if you don't, you can capture only specific creatures like Daedra Atronachs, Hagravens, Chaurus, anyway, those you view as most evil and which, with clear conscience, you can condemn for eternity.

As for myself, I roleplay different characters, but my favorite and main can be described as righteous. Sympathizes with Vigilants of Stendarr, joined Dawnguard and fall into sacred fury at the sight of any Daedra, Vampire and Undead menace (except Serana of course, because she's cute aaaand we really can't do anything about her). I mostly carry Black Soul Gems, which I buy or find in some deep evil lairs. I have a sweet spot for Necromancer and Vampires, especially Necromancers. That's where most of my souls and enchantments are coming from. It's really ironic IMO, they mess with Ideal Masters to get their powers, and get sent to them with first express right into the Cairn. Gotta know better than falling for those filthy magical arts, retribution is inevitable!

Well, that's one way around it I guess.

It depends, you can capture souls and still roleplay "good" character, if brutal murdering person can be any good... We kill lots of people, monsters and etc. As for me, I kill only those who are hostile to me, no matter the fact those poor sods have no chance against all mighty dragonborn, and explain it to yourself as kill in self defence. If you need enchanting, you don't have to kill and capture every other creature you come across. You can even completely avoid using white soul gems, if you don't, you can capture only specific creatures like Daedra Atronachs, Hagravens, Chaurus, anyway, those you view as most evil and which, with clear conscience, you can condemn for eternity.

As for myself, I roleplay different characters, but my favorite and main can be described as righteous. Sympathizes with Vigilants of Stendarr, joined Dawnguard and fall into sacred fury at the sight of any Daedra, Vampire and Undead menace (except Serana of course, because she's cute aaaand we really can't do anything about her). I mostly carry Black Soul Gems, which I buy or find in some deep evil lairs. I have a sweet spot for Necromancer and Vampires, especially Necromancers. That's where most of my souls and enchantments are coming from. It's really ironic IMO, they mess with Ideal Masters to get their powers, and get sent to them with first express right into the Cairn. Gotta know better than falling for those filthy magical arts, retribution is inevitable!

Well, that's one way around it I guess.

I really like those ideas! Will definitely try that out next game!

• 2 months later...

BUT....the souls of all Nirn's creatures (evil or neutral or good) are simply 'parts' of the Divines. When you send them to the Soul Cairn, you are sending pieces of the Divines to the Soul Cairn.....in case you didn't know, the Divines are what created you, blessed you with a Dragon Soul and they love all of Nirn and its children.

So, sending even an evil Necromancers soul to the Soul Cairn = one more tiny piece of the Divines lost forever = EVIL!!!!

Also, since Cows are in the Soul Cairn + the Soul Fissures are full of souls that can fit into White Soul Gems = it seems that ALL Soul Gems send their souls to the Soul Cairn!

To Sum Up: Enchanting is bad!

......kind of makes sense when you stop and look at the Enchanting Table...pretty evil looking!

This raises a question though, when you kill a dragon, you as the pc basically act as a gem, you absorb it. Now I always thought it was not really the soul itself, just its energy (call it divine energy since dragons come from Akatosh) Otherwise the Dragonborn would become the dragons he slays... And that is not happening. Also that would mean if you truly play as good you could never become Dragonborn right? And the Greybeards who are definitely on the moral high ground (peaceful) etc, never mention it to the Dragon Born as far as I know. Edited by Shivala