Mod updates of the future

kings06

ok, so now we have three major editions of skyrim to consider for skyrim moding, the LE, the SE, and now the AE, but I have a concern, as now we essentially have two versions of SE, the 1.5.97, and the 1.6.x, one using pre AE and the second post AE. What concerns me is future mod updates, its impossible to expect EVERY mod to come out with a version for both forms of SE, so most, I would imagine will make future improvements and updates to their mods on the most current version, but like many have already stated not all will or can. This means a good chunk of our mods will now be completely incompatible with one another. SO that leaves a big question, do we now have giant split now in SE modding, do some of us just get left in 1.5.97 while all future projects are all focused on 1.6.x series, or is everyone just content to NEVER update SE no matter what?

Just don't expect every mod developer to update their mod. It's a pretty shitty, and messy situation Bethesda has created, just to make that dollar.

ok, so now we have three major editions of skyrim to consider for skyrim moding, the LE, the SE, and now the AE, but I have a concern, as now we essentially have two versions of SE, the 1.5.97, and the 1.6.x, one using pre AE and the second post AE. What concerns me is future mod updates, its impossible to expect EVERY mod to come out with a version for both forms of SE, so most, I would imagine will make future improvements and updates to their mods on the most current version, but like many have already stated not all will or can. This means a good chunk of our mods will now be completely incompatible with one another. SO that leaves a big question, do we now have giant split now in SE modding, do some of us just get left in 1.5.97 while all future projects are all focused on 1.6.x series, or is everyone just content to NEVER update SE no matter what?

I'm wondering if they are going to make a new "game" file for Skyrim AE and then mod authors can just put their mods in SE or AE and we the people will be a little less likely to screw up and download incompatible mods because we can't be bothered reading. . .

When it dawned on me six years ago that SKSE mods wouldn't work with Skyrim SE, I decided to just ignore it and stay with Skyrim Classic and it's established ecosystem of (at the time) 50,000+ mods, many of which would never be ported to SE. There was no way in hell I was going to play Skyrim without SkyUI. They eventually made an SE version of SKSE, but there were still few ports of the Classic mods I use, so I saw no reason to use SE. A non-trivial side benefit is that my mod load doesn't become chaos every time Bethesda decides to add a new horse armor nobody wants to their stupid Creation Club. Wish I had that option for Fallout 4.

I never ported my own mods to SE because I didn't want the hassle of testing two versions of everything, especially since I don't even keep Skyrim SE installed. Now there'd be three versions of every mod to maintain and that's a big nope from me.

SKSE for AE works (some mod authors will have to update their mods). SkyUI works on AE so mods that need SKSE just for the MCM-function in SkyUI works.

USSEP is updated for AE and will NOT support SSE anymore.

My biggest worriy atm is really the Adress Library but i hope @meh321 is working on it (but we dont know).

Some authors have said they will not update to AE, so there will be mods that i will have to find replacements for.

I think most authors will create for AE since most people will have that version.

Address Library may not get updated. Take this with a grain of salt, but I hear the author of the CommonLibSSE is not planning on redoing it for the new compiler version and Address Library is dependent on that. Unless someone else with the necessary skills takes it up, we may be back to the old "every SKSE DLL has to update for every patch" days.

SKSE for AE works (some mod authors will have to update their mods). SkyUI works on AE so mods that need SKSE just for the MCM-function in SkyUI works.

USSEP is updated for AE and will NOT support SSE anymore.

My biggest worriy atm is really the Adress Library but i hope @meh321 is working on it (but we dont know).

Some authors have said they will not update to AE, so there will be mods that i will have to find replacements for.

I think most authors will create for AE since most people will have that version.

If so disappointing but I wouldn't blame of even modders with simpler fixes one bit. I'll just keep my older version unupdated for a while. I played Legendary for a few extra years until SSe got up to speed. I can do the same for SSE.