Why all the SW prequel hate?

OpheliaNeoma

Well, linking to a review of the Star Wars movies by Mr Plinkett is a bad way of telling people why the prequels were bad...

Those reviews are so... to use Plinkett's lack of vocabulary... stupid.

Plinkett is rose painting the first three films, and the entire review of the Phantom Menace is about how the longevity of the film is a waste of time. He spends 28 minutes explaining that. Now, THAT is a waste of time. The other 1 minute is explaining that none of the characters have any character, which is fine, as it is partially true. But how much character does really Darth Vader have? Until the final moments he have none, and even then, he'll have very little character unless you have seen the prequels... A protagonist without any character is not a good protagonist. Also, throughout the review, he makes it very obvious that he just wants a run-of-the-mill movie, without any real depth, and he just wants everything shown to him as easily as possible. He don't want to have to think about what is happening to know what is happening.

Now, I think the originals are better in most ways, and that the prequels beats the originals in some other ways. Six great movies in my book.

EDIT: Oh, and the Belated Media "review" is a good one. Lots of good points, and changes that would make the films very good. :smile:

I merely posted this not as an example of the Phantom Menace precisely, but more of where the tonality of the series was heading in general, which its products continue to be more fundamentally based on younger audiences.

Edit: Also I don't recall posting anything regarding, Mr Plinkett Reviews, correct me if am wrong, unless you where addressing someone else, or using terminology I'm not familiar with. You are talking about Red Letter Media right?

Edited by Hardwaremaster

I liked Darth Maul a lot. Phantom Menace was great movie. The main thing is Anakin's story and thats why Phantom Menace had things like podracing. But still it had it's evil side, as Darth Maul and politics. Music from movie is best of series i think. Two other movies were great too. I don't understand why people don't like them. Maybe it's because first movies were watched as child and had a lot bigger effect on watcher.

Well, linking to a review of the Star Wars movies by Mr Plinkett is a bad way of telling people why the prequels were bad...

Those reviews are so... to use Plinkett's lack of vocabulary... stupid.

Plinkett is rose painting the first three films, and the entire review of the Phantom Menace is about how the longevity of the film is a waste of time. He spends 28 minutes explaining that. Now, THAT is a waste of time. The other 1 minute is explaining that none of the characters have any character, which is fine, as it is partially true. But how much character does really Darth Vader have? Until the final moments he have none, and even then, he'll have very little character unless you have seen the prequels... A protagonist without any character is not a good protagonist. Also, throughout the review, he makes it very obvious that he just wants a run-of-the-mill movie, without any real depth, and he just wants everything shown to him as easily as possible. He don't want to have to think about what is happening to know what is happening.

Now, I think the originals are better in most ways, and that the prequels beats the originals in some other ways. Six great movies in my book.

EDIT: Oh, and the Belated Media "review" is a good one. Lots of good points, and changes that would make the films very good. :smile:

Vader didn't need a lot of character, the first three films weren't about him, they were about Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Leia Organa. In a New Hope Vader wasn't central, he was just a bad guy, it wasn't until Empire that he was given a more prominent role, a role I doubt Lucas had planned for him. Not that Vader needed much in the way of character, he was a dark and menacing figure who represented everything evil in the empire, that alone was enough to turn him into the iconic bad guy he became, compare him to the whiny teenager in the prequels. There is a lot of nitpicking in Plinketts reviews but his points are valid, the prequels are just bad films, they're badly written and lazily directed, had The Phantom Menace been the first Star Wars film I doubt there would have been a second, Lucas got away with it because people were desperate to see more Star Wars, had the originals never existed Lucas would have found himself looking for alternative employment.