Cookie problem?

roquefort

A stronghold cookie is now enabled on the forums to match the last login to the current login. If the details are different (i.e. your IP has changed) then you'll need to login again. It's to stop people stealing the admin cookie sessions and playing riot with the forums/putting spyware on the site.

Couple of stupid/obvious answers and questions:

A) Are you using FireFox? If yes, then:

B) Do you have it set to clear private data on close?

C) Do you have it set to clear cookies on close?

Lazy bum! Get used to typin! :P

Mine is static due to the fact I went and did some port forwarding for some online stuff to work better, and so uTorrent downloads faster. Man, I love using that than downloading updates from a file server.... Downloading First Strike for 2142 right now, and it's getting 800 kb/s down

That would be within your local network (I have it done too ;)), but your router's external IP (ie. the one the rest of the internet sees) will still change every time it connects to the internet (when its switched on, usually). Oddly, My routers been on since long before I last logged into the forums... but I think that could be explained by the fact my internet is so terribll - I've been disconnected about a dozen times in the last 10 minutes alone, so I've probably been through just as many IP addresses since then :P

All the authorisation errors I keep getting now every time it disconnects and I try to make a post are VERY annoying though. Especially as just clicking back and posting again doesnt fix it.

I've set my router to be static so that it doesn't end up trying to change on me when I'm in the middle of something. Now, I do have multiple proxys set up for various uses, and can also easily make my router a dynamic.

Also, since the modem has an integrated router, I'd have to reboot it every time I wanted to enable the dynamic protocol, and, well, I don't feel like waiting 15 minutes.

One of my dad's friends works for the ISP, so we can just have him enable the protocol there. I was talking to him about it, and he said while it may be safer, if you plan on doing something that requires the connection to be open for an extended period of time, leave it static. And, I've got XBL and play online games. You REALLY don't want to be kicked from 2142 when you've lined up a headshot on the enemy's commander and are about to shoot.

Archived