Moving F$ and NMM to new pc

Feedingcannibal

Searched the forums but maybe my search is weak.

I'm getting a new gaming laptop and would like to move my existing F4 and 100+ mods I have in NMM to the new pc. This would include Loot.

My plan is to move the Steam F4 folder, NMM, and Loot to an external drive.

Then I'll install Steam on the new pc.

Then I'll move the folders on the external drive to the newly created Steam folder on the new pc.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

ETA Damnit can't edit the thread title.

Edited by Feedingcannibal

You will likely still have to reinstall your mods, simply due to the way NMM works. The other possibility is, that moving the installation, will end up with all your mods actually being IN the fallout 4 install directory tree..... From what I have seen/read/experienced, there really isn't a good way to move installations..... I would love to see that kind of functionality added to NMM/Vortex......

This is off topic but I thought I would add my experience with a lap top, namely, the game does not like a hot processor or video card and it will stutter, sometimes badly. The worse culprits are those really thin laptops (what I have). In the winter months, not an issue, but come summer (it gets very warm here) I have three fans aimed at my laptop just to reduce stuttering. I have done everything undervolting seems to work the best). It does not help when many manufacturers of laptops limit access to advanced features.

If you are moving to a new PC may I suggest having the game in your root directory (c:\) so Windows and other virus programs don't mess with the game. An exact copy to the new hard drive should do the trick, though I would still "reinstall" the mods with the mod manager which should not take that long since you will have them all already in the staging folder or backup folder, whatever it's called.

Good luck and happy gaming.