Solid State Hard drives

what i didnt quite get is that video that showed 24 SDDs wrangled up together, how the heck does this guy achieve it that the speed of each drive simply sums up? they are still 24 drives and each works at 200MB/s (or omin like that), why would the speed get better if you strung up more?
It is a technology that has been around for quite some time. You typically see database servers using a bunch of small drives connected to an internal RAID controller or two. I suspect RAID 0 (Striped Volumes) was used for this test which typically gives the best READ performance. He used two RAID controllers and utilized all 6 internal SATA ports.

As you do research on RAID technology, keep in mind that most articles written about it refers to MECHANICAL drive performance. SSD drives do not have any issues with random read/write as they are instantaneous (and problematic for mechanical drives)...thus, I suspect they will gain performance even with WRITE speed and it all comes down to the amount of bandwidth your system is capable of using rather than the speed of the drives (which SSDs are going to be faster than the available bandwidth...which is why I am waiting for SATA 3.0 spec SSD drives!!!)

LHammonds

I got something even better, and faster. There are SSDs that use the computers pci express bus, giving the processor direct access to the system's boot drive. Engineers are currently claiming about 700MB/s read speeds on pci-e based ssd's. Fusionio is currently offering an 80GB model with 540 MB/s throughput, and they also have a much, much, much higher end model that is a 5 TB storage card with about 6 GB/s bandwidth that was custom designed. Don't believe me? Here's the links:

http://www.fusionio.com/products/

http://www.fusionio.com/products/ioxtreme/

http://www.fusionio.com/load/media-docsProduct/kcb62o/Octal-Study.pdf

Downside, they're very expensive, and motherboard compatibility comes into play.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@LH

aha i see, thx for clarifying it, never really got what raid does and was too lazy too look it up :P

now imagine a raid with 24 of these fusiono drives lol...

anyway, didnt these cray supercomputers have a 300gb bandwidth a few decades back yet? about time we get that as endconsumers ;)... star trek beaming anyone?

Well, those fusiono drives are not drives at all, they are memory on a board...and you are limited to the amount of PCI Express cards you can throw into a PC. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

you can buy far larger solid state hard drives.. but as of this moment.. only a special $3500 Dell server and the Apple I-Mac Air laptop have them. the Apple product has a 2.5 TB solid state drive. the Dell server has two 1.5TB drives. as of standard SATA right now.. yes.. the capacity available sucks.. speeds however are at least 5 times faster than conventional platter drives no moving parts.. also due to the manner in which data is written onto a solid state drive no defragging is ever needed.. performance is scary... but still pricey..... as an aside to this... solid state hard drives produce heat.. so it's wise to improve heat dissipation and transfer from your case and especially away from your drives if you stack multiples in raid config.

here's one that is at 1 TB

http://www.puresi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=9

you can buy far larger solid state hard drives.. but as of this moment.. only a special $3500 Dell server and the Apple I-Mac Air laptop have them. the Apple product has a 2.5 TB solid state drive. the Dell server has two 1.5TB drives. as of standard SATA right now.. yes.. the capacity available sucks.. speeds however are at least 5 times faster than conventional platter drives no moving parts.. also due to the manner in which data is written onto a solid state drive no defragging is ever needed.. performance is scary... but still pricey..... as an aside to this... solid state hard drives produce heat.. so it's wise to improve heat dissipation and transfer from your case and especially away from your drives if you stack multiples in raid config.

here's one that is at 1 TB

http://www.puresi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=9

Hmm i had my ssd out with a firewire cable before and it didn't get hot at all. It has all my games that have a slower loading time, and its cool to the touch. No moving parts.

Not all do.. some do generate heat...some don't....I'd just make sure to check and deal with it if needed.

My sister has an external SSD and tho it was only warm.. it does generate heat.

• 1 month later...

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 - 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s

< HDtune says > 315mb/s Read - 220mb/s Write on SSD ;-)

Linux Mint 7 x64

++++++++++++++++++

Windows 7 Pro x64

++++++++++++++++++

Windows XP Pro x64

++++++++++++++++++

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

Intel Core i7 920 > OC'd 3.4 Mhz ;-)

OCZ PC12800 Obsidian 12GB Triple Channel (2GBx6)

Ultra X4 1050-Watt Modular Power Supply

WD VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 - 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s

EVGA GTX 295 CO-OP Edition (1792MB DDR3)

Nice setup you have there.

Mine vs yours is pretty close :thumbsup: .

Windows 7 pro 64bit.

windows xp pro 64bit "fail safe plan" lol.

AMD Phenom2 3.0ghz oc'ed 3.50ghz with default oc settings max. Still in the market for a 6 core Phenom :biggrin:

OCZ 128gb ssd

750gb seagate barracuda drive 7200rpm

2 western digital 250gb 7200rpm a piece ones on its way out :( not the c drive

4gb of ddr3 wintec ram

cd drive HP 22x dvd with light scribe

ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI N470GTX-M2D12-B GeForce GTX470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. DX 11 :biggrin:

Creative XFI 5.1 pci usb

I'm thinking of buying another ssd to put in raid, running out of space on my 128gb. I might get Kingston this time, review and price is looking good. May not be the fastest but very reliable reviews say.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139137&cm_re=kingston_ssd-_-20-139-137-_-Product

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I can get a 256GB SATA III SSD for about $660. Now I just need some contracting money to come in so I can acquire the last component for my new PC.

Running old SATA mechanical drives is a major bottleneck in my system performance.

LHammonds