Solid State Hard drives

I disagree with this, HDD can not compare to SSD in terms of read speeds, SSD will vary greatly with writes so in that case, yes sometimes there will not be a significant increase over HDD's. But on average (especially access/read speeds) there is no comparison between the two drive types.

It's had been tested (trying with Sysmark). I said "will not get significant performance on one SSD" because the burden imposed ICH10 controller to the CPU is too big, but that's not been tested in ICH11 Controller. Is the Intel X68 Chipset using it??.

In several applications, SSD won't help the performance. Have you tried with two SSDs and run them in a RAID0 array (with an active Volume Write Back Cache)?. That's what the performance of SSD were we looking for.

I agree, when access/read speeds there is no comparison between two drive types, but we use one of those for the same purpose.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow..am I the only one who still uses 30pin IDE drives?I have a 120gb Barracuda primary and my secondary is a 300gb SATA drive.I get decent speeds

TBH I have never had issues with my HDDs Ive only had 2 fail on me,one was a fry,the other was a catastrophic failure after the pc got dropped:(

These SSD drives are pretty cool, But being a young parent,Idont have the cash to drop on these fancy parts.Heck Im mostly secondhand and used parts.

I have not looked into for personal use but I am purchasing them with an IBM Blade rack and intend on having the OS run off the SSD drives and the virtual servers off the SAN.

One of my guys showed me a video of somebody that built the "fastest" PC ever made using the maximum amount of SSDs you could run in a RAID configuration and if it wasn't not faked, it certainly was impressive.

Right now, the cost is a bit too prohibitive for personal use as it is still bleeding-edge technology and the price clearly verifies that. As others have said, it might be best to wait for the prices to come down but if you have money to burn, have at it.

LHammonds

That pretty much sums up the market - latest and greatest is too cost prohibitive for general consumer use. For special applications, its a lot easier to justify the cost in the budget. Or, if you're just wealthy ;)

Bandit Ngebak.

I haven`t heard about the x68 yet but the new chipsets for socket 1155 support pci express 2.0 which might give a boost to sata speeds.

Based on past naming Intel chipset, the next generation of X58 should be named X68 chipset, and mainstream class is P65, H65, etc.. I've heard X68 chipset will support SATA 600 and USB 3.0 with ICH11 controller.

In my opininon. at least, there are two things to note when using SSD drives. First, you will not get significant performance differences compared to hard drives. With one unit, SSD only has advantages in terms of vibration/shock, power consumption and noise.

This is where I am absolutely happy to ignore other peoples theorized opinions.

My blazingly fast system has been consistently slowed down by my HDDs for an entire year and the absolute best score I could squeeze from WEI was a 5.3 and it was very telling when I sat there waiting and waiting for my system to boot up starting my applications/games day in and day out. No benchmark was necessary to know that my HDDs were the bottleneck. However, I knew this even before I built my system last year.

I recently put a single SSD drive (not even SATA 3.0 spec) in my system and install my OS on it. Wham! Instant speed improvement and the WEI score shoots up from 5.3 to 7.5. Yes, there are things that can be done to better improve performance but I already squeezed over 2 points higher by installing a single SSD alone. I seriously doubt I could spend another $200 and see the WEI jump to 9.7. When I turn on my computer now, it boots up fast. When I put in my password, the desktop displays and is ready to go before I sit down. Yes, a re-install helps bring a system back to peak performance but I'm no idiot. I know how fast it was before and it was not impressive like it is now. I'm no longer thinking about what I can do to make my system faster or simply making sure I turn it on in advance before I really need to sit down and do something.

LHammonds

I think that's not opinion (sorry for wrong terms) because based on benchmark test. this tested when Core i7 was released in 2008, and want to know how to bring the speed of Core i7..using the first release of SSD X25-M 80 GB and Core i7 965 EE.

The conclusion of this test i post above.. The constraint of SSD why not bring the speed we want, because of ICH10. For now, if we want increase speed of SSD we should increase of CPU clock. I'm sure, Mr LHammonds WEi of SSD will get more than 7.5 when increasing CPU clock. i7 965 overclocked to 4.2 from 3.2 without addition/changing the voltage. but temperatures is old enemy of OC. idle temperature when overclocked to 4.2 is 70C and full load is 100C with standard heatsink...

I'm personally was not excited with Core i7 when was released, they change the platform FSB to QPI but the motherboard chipset still using an old controller (ICH10). this controller also used by X48 (which was used by QuadCore,Core2duo, etc). Motherboard that using SATA III now only third party chipset, not Intel itself..

• 1 month later...
So, if I buy a SSD Drive and wanted to use it for gaming, would I just download my OS and all my games to that SSD drive and would they be blazing fast like everyone says? Edited by yoba333