Solid State Hard drives

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait for technology to advance. Hard disk drives are probably going to continue development so we can reach storage milestones (1 petabyte, anyone?). But other than that, SSD's are also going to get a ton cheaper, with larger capacities as well. Not only that, but people have been going insane over power conservation, so that's also a benefit.

To me, storage space really doesn't matter. It's all about performance. I'm on a 40GB HDD and I still have room for another 2005-2006 game. So yeah, SSD's are where it's going to be at.

Consider also repointing and the entire tree of user directories (Docs and Settings for XP, Users for Vista and 7), or at least AppData and Documents, to a mechanical drive instead of just the temp directories, if you really want to minimize writes to the SSD.

I haven't taken the SSD plunge yet and probably won't until my next system build or OS (re)install, depending on my budget at the time.

I don't think the wear on read/write is too much of a worry anymore. I could have sworn I posted a link to an Intel article before but I cannot find it in this thread (which is the only place I would have mentioned it).

Intel said something to the effect that you can copy and delete 1 GB to the hard drive every day for 5 years and not reach the limit of the maximum writes. That is generally longer than the life of an average mechanical drive. I don't know about the rest of you but my computer comes no where close to pushing around a gigabyte of data each day. The closest I'd come would be during HD video edits...of which would be done on mechanical drives due to the shear size of the files.

LHammonds

Once in awhile i write to the ssd for games, they tend to be in the 4 to 6gb each, depending on the game. I always do a defrag to check for bad sectors after install, sometimes its needed.

even flash memory needs a defrag once in awhile.

I don't think the wear on read/write is too much of a worry anymore. I could have sworn I posted a link to an Intel article before but I cannot find it in this thread (which is the only place I would have mentioned it).

Intel said something to the effect that you can copy and delete 1 GB to the hard drive every day for 5 years and not reach the limit of the maximum writes.

Interesting. I'd be interested to see it.

@Thor: I don't even bother with defrag on a regular hard drive except for certain situations (before and after partitioning, for instance). I'd never do it to SSD.

http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/mmframe?prid=464787&attachid=901396

There's other newly available ones as well but this one might be the best overall performance and physical size.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20090305132228_OCZ_Technology_Develops_1TB_Solid_State_Drive_with_Extreme_Performance.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/182865/1tb_ssd_drive_available_now_a_steal_at_just_over_3000.html

P.S. defragging a SSD is not only not necessary but HIGHLY inadvisable it can actually cause damage as I've been told.. (might be wrong this is just what I've been told) Defragging is required because the average HDD consists of anywhere from 2-4 platters each with read/write heads data is written on these platters while they spin at speeds of 4500rpm thus placing data all over the drive platter/platters after a while of installing/uninstalling programs. filing deleting and new data. browsing the web.. temp data and cache everywhere eventually the drive data is scattered and cluttered like a messy room. a defrag clears that up and re organizes the data for quicker easier data retrieval. An SSD drive has no platters no moving parts and writes in sequence, data never becomes cluttered and scattered so a defrag really becomes pointless.

Your right i didn't know that, thanks for the heads up on that, i googled that to be sure and you might of saved me some trouble in the future.

I only do quick scan though, never a full fledged scan. lol it took 2 secs to do a scan anyway. Used Auslogics Disk Defrag

If you check the vid they used that very same disk defragger.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Oh, the data becomes plenty scattered on an SSD, moreso in fact than on a hard drive due to wear-leveling. The difference is it doesn't matter, because no cell takes any longer to access than any other. :biggrin:

Trim has replaced defragging.

It only works in ahci mode though, this can be a problem if you have older hardware.

My blue-ray drive creates a problem for me for example the bios sometime takes a long time to recognise it after a BSOD.