Allow Authors To Permanently Delete Mods

Devdraco

Is this really necessary?

The way i see it a Modder creates something and shares it. Or decides to practice his skills and thus likes to create stuff he can share. Generally he likes it.

There are of course ways he can gain support for his time spent offering support and development. Donations or by hosting a Private Site.

Ads. Ads are what make income to anyone who hosts a site. The rest is about volunteer support with donations or other methods.

In modding this is technically secondary and its also up to the Creator to actively support a project or not. Its his/ hers choice.

There is Creation Club which is another method to get support and there is also Pre-Releases via Patreon although the latter is being exploited too much.

(see Skyrim Together Fiasko) In any case, as long as it doesn't become a ''Toxic Competition'' because of ''Who gets the money'' its all good.

Everyone needs Support in different forms:

-To provide support. For Nexus this means ads and user support. How and when depends on frequency of usage i guess or how much modding is a part of somebody's life.

-To Host a mod. A site needs maintenance and it costs money to be active which means user activity is going to keep income steady by many different ways.

Thats Nexus Mods. So the income Nexus makes anyway is because of user support and site usage. It doesn't make money out of a mod directly.

In the end i don't see why anyone should be concerned of Nexus making income via ads and user support for any hosted mod file that a mod author decided to abandon. Not to mention since its abandoned, shouldn't it become Open Source so Development can continue? Otherwise this only hold development back.

Mod Troubleshooting and Support:

-This is important and for abandoned mods this is only possible by a mod becoming Open Source or forwarded to a Care Taker. (Nexus does have something like this at least for hosting a mod, but people are butthurt and never do this. I don't know why). In any case somebody that is going to support it and or develop it further.

This is also voluntary work. Somebody has to have an enthusiasm for it. That would be people interested to a mod who like to spend their freetime for this. Its not like they will make any money out of it. Unless you allow Donations they wont.

-Curators and Mod Collections are also Volunteers for this. They are going to provide all the support and troubleshooting for a Mod Pack if the Creator can't for example and has left. This will make the mods still viable and actively supported. There is going to be motivation for more development even since the mod is kept alive.

Creators can also avoid all the Bug section chaos in case they don't want to. Curators will be willing to exchange data with them directly for development if the Creators want to. Curators wont take all Donation if thats the Concern. Creators will recieve the Donations they would anyway and Nexus all support for Hosting both the Mods and the Collections.

Its a Win - Win for everyone. User - Mod Supporter - Developer - Curator - Hosting Platform Supporters - Main Hosting Platform.

Both Income wise and Evolution of Mods.

I believe a huge portion of Authors lately just disagree either because they want the exclusiveness via Patreon for income, so Curators and Nexus Platform is something they would like to exclude of it if they could, or because they feel like ''Its all my glory''

There is different situations where direct and strict control of a mod is necessary from his creator. That includes Assets made from scrath. But also important Programming tools like DynDOLOD. But these are not comparable to lets say a Quest Enhancement or whatever. These can be Open Source indeed.

Even Scripting Utilities become Open Source over time and hosted both here and Github.

So why this eagerness of people to Delete their creations? So others have to recreate everything from scratch? Why not forward it instead to someone trusted and skilled to continue the project? If not, there is also Nexus Mods Caretaker. Who wins from Deleted Mods? Even the Creation itself becomes forgotten...

Since Last Year, i haven't been able to find a viable and reasonable, Reason, for the necessity of Deleting a Mod.

Rhetorical Question: Should a Father have his House torn down because he made it, so his Son doesn't inherit it? Just Why?

Edited by Guest

As with your last thread this has already been answered - in great detail - months ago. Please see the news post below.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

I'm also asking you please read the resources I've linked here and in the last thread you made rather than posting topics that will only cause conflict.

I am sorry you don't agree with these changes, but we're not going to make any additional changes for the time being.