⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Dragonborn DLC letter from myself? To myself?

ltknight88

update: So I've kept my doppleganger alive because it is kinda cool to have a twin sister in the game, and the extra gold rewards are nice.

Then, tonight a received a quest from Horgeir in Dragon's Bridge. The couriers note just said something like "I know you don't mind violence, so I need you to assault someone for me." And who does he want me to go after? That is right, my twin sister.

Okay, no problem. Just attack her but don't killer her.

However, I forgot that I'd been messing around with the creation kit, and I'd given my Nord character the Khajit claws spell. So that plus an unarmed enchantment on my ring and gloves, and I end up one shot - kill camming my twin sister.

Which then triggers a "Rejoining the College" quest. Now I have to go find Tolfdir - because I think I just killed the newly appointed Arch Mage of the school.

Not sure if game is very intricate, or I'm just making my life more difficult than it needs to be.

That's a very cool bug :laugh:

I took a brief look at the Creation Kit to try and understand what happened. Maybe someone will find this interesting:

• When someone dies, it first checks if the global variable "WIComplexEventsEnabled" is equal to 1 and that the victim is not in the faction "WIKill04ExclusionFaction".
  • Next, it checks if the killer was the player.
  • Then, it checks if the victim in not in the "WINeverFillAliasesFaction" and that he/she is allowed world interactions.
  • Then, it tries to find an NPC that is also not in the "WINeverFillAliasesFaction, is allowed world interactions, has a default NPC voice type, is not a child (killable children mods remove the 'child' flag from the children so if one is installed they'll probably be allowed to send a letter) and, most importantly, that NPC must dislike the NPC you just killed.
  • It then generates a letter with the name of the victim and the killer and sends the courier to deliver it.

My guess is this happened: you killed Bujold. The game tried to find someone who considered Bujold a personal enemy. It found one! It's the player but the game doesn't check that. The game then generates the weird letter.

EDIT: Bah. Missed the part about the OP using the Alternate Actors mod :sweat: Also, I forgot that the "killer" alias didn't have "allow reused" checked.

Edited by transientfaith

• 4 years later...

is there a way to console command this out? I have the same bug, but not the same back story..

edit: the original bugged "an enemy's gratitude" quest is the one I want to console command away, but I can't find the quest ID/the one I thought was it (WlKill04) doesn't work.

edit 2: after some testing, and a lot of quicksaving, I found that it is not wlkill04, it is wikill04. also, to complete the quest, you have to set the stage to the final stage, which uesp said was an empty stage so I forgot about it. you just have to open the console and type setstage wikill04 100.

Edited by military11

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what would happen if you killed your duplicate. Would the game flag you as dead? I remember that in Deus Ex, if I summoned and killed JC Denton, the game marked the player as dead and you became unable to perform certain actions. I may need to test this.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...