Quick Question - Quick Answer

Cipscis

That's pretty much the ideal solution, but I can't figure out how to make it reference the player!

The condition I mean.

I mean, I trying to modify fire enchant. In the conditions it allows me to run the condition on the Subject, which is the person who is burning right?

There is target......... which I don't know what it'd refer to in that case

There is a specific reference. I can't figure out what the player reference is though

There is combat target, which isn't always the player

There is linked reference, which is whatever the burning person is linked to, right?

Plus I can't find a condition that allows me to check whether or not the player is casting the enchantment.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it working now, however, when I use it, it equips the weapon, but it doesn't let me unequip or drop the weapon, whats wrong with it?
Glad to hear it! The reason why it won't let you unequip or drop the weapon is because of how you've used EquipItem. Instead of using "player.EquipItem WeapPhaser 1", you'll want to use "player.EquipItem WeapPhaser 0 1"

That's pretty much the ideal solution, but I can't figure out how to make it reference the player!
When defining your condition, there should be a drop-down menu labelled "Run On". You'll want to select "Reference", then click "Select". This will open up the "Choose Reference" window, in which you'll want to select "AbandonedSewerExterior (-5, 28)" for the Cell, and "PlayerRef ('Player' )" for the Ref.

Cipscis

EDIT:

There is no current way in which you can determine which actor dealt an attack, unfortunately. However, you could add a condition of GetCombatTarget so that the extra duration only applies if the actor is in the player's crosshairs.

However, this might not always work, as I think GetCombatTarget only works when the player targets hostile references. I can't think of anything better off the top of my head, though.

Cipscis

Which I find is really weird because the game has to determine whether or not the PC get's experience or not. How does the game know whether or not the fire was player derived if it doesn't have some sort of ownership function?

It's not all that essential to my mod anyways, just an extra touch I wanted to add. I bet I can substitute it with something else.

Whether or not one actor killed another can be determined via the IsKiller, so the game engine definitely stores this information. Given that it also displays a message when the player cripples the limb of an actor, I believe that it is also capable of determining which actor dealt a specific attack, but there are currently no functions available to determine this information via script.

Rewarding the player with experience is hard-coded functionality, so the fact that there is no script function to determine this information isn't a limiting factor there.

Cipscis

Hey Fellers, Cipscis you seem like a very knowledgeable user, So here goes.

I created a new Worldspace in FWE, (Fractal World Explorer), i have imported into the GECK, all my cells are there, i created 6 separate regions that cover an area of about idk... 80 or 90 cells.

I generated objects and whatnots to populate the terrain... and i'm constantly going from GECK to game to look around, check out the world etc.,

only problem is... i was not able to travel to my worldspace, i was troubleshooting and i haven't figured out what was causing this, navmesh issues? or border region enabled/disabled?

well, i auto generated navmesh for all 80 or 90 cells, so first i removed the navmesh, that didn't do it, then i checked all the settings i could think of that would prevent me from going there,

what was happening exactly was as i used my temporary teleport door outside of 101, it would spawn me right back to said door, and a message on top left of screen would say "you cannot go that way, turn around" or whatever, occlusion type message.

So... i scrapped all the navmesh again, and generated navmesh for that cell only, checked the border region option in the WORLD\REGIONS dialog, and viola, i could now visit my worldspace... except, there was nothing but terrain there... none of the objects i generated... then i reloaded, tried again, everything was there.

wth? also had instances of water not being there, but i fixed that i think. Holy jebus, any rules i should be following, good practice? anything at all at this point would be helpful, as i am a worldspace noob.

CROW

Getcombatref would only apply the enchantment if the target is in the player's crosshairs.. correct?. Which would mean it'd put off if you aim elsewhere?, or is the condition run only once?.

If it's only once, getcombattarget would solve stuff nicely, as the target would already be hostile when you start the barbecue.

If not, a script effect that raises a flag on scripteffectstart depending if it was the player the caster or not could do.

@Crowbennet08:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cell and worldspace editing - my experience lies very much within the realm of scripting. Hopefully someone will be able to help you though.

In the meantime, you might be able to find some useful information in one of the threads over on the official GECK forum

@TGBlank:

Actually, I think conditions are checked constantly. You're right that a script effect could be used to "raise a flag" (probably by adding a token) that causes the longer fire effect to apply.

Cipscis

Something I was thinking about was allowing the player to take the credit for kills other than by weapon. So blowing up an eyebot near a wounded enemy to kill them, or setting off nuke car reactions for massive multi-kills (long-time UT player here :D ). Judging by what's been said in this thread so far though, I'm guessing that's not actually likely to be possible. Kinda annoying since I love killing stuff through less ordinary means and would like to be rewarded for it, rather than just having it count as a random thing that I had nothing to do with.

Oh well, guess it's back to the drawing board.

@Radiosity:

You can specify which actor should be the "designated killer" of an actor when using the KillActor function, which might prove useful for your idea. If you specify the player as the killer in this way, then misc stats and experience will be updated automatically.

Cipscis

Thanks for the reply, and yeah I just thought that it might be possible because there's a mod that already does this I just remembered about (the destructive environments mod, which allows you to blow stuff up near enemies and get the credit). I think bethesda should've added this themselves though really, managing to get kills through unusual means should earn you exp imo. I recall in UT2003 there was a lot of annoyance in the community because Epic didn't bother adding this feature. They added it back in UT2004 though thankfully; it's just no fun at all pushing someone off a tall structure to their death if you don't get the credit for it.