modding causes game stuttering

kchills

I cant tell if it is a memory issue or a internet issue or even something about the mod count but I have problem where when i try to mod fallout 4 the game excessively stutters, the mods i am using don't have a large file size the biggest being Armor smith at 500mb, i also use vortex for my modding as im relatively new to the modding scene, has anyone had experience with this problem and if so, do you know how to fix it?

Thanks

heyas Kchills, welcome to the forums :smile:

And to the not-so-wonderful world of playing game mods, lol. :wink:

We do need some more info to try to figure this out. I can however, say with 100% accuracy that you're internet is not the cause of the problem.

As you are using vortex, we Can know that you're on a PC, and not on a console. So that helps to eliminate that.

Also please include whether or not this stuttering is constant, or just at certain times. In certain areas. Can you replicate it?

The reason I ask about areas, is because the graphics for this game are absolutely horribly optimized. There's many areas in the game that will cause a loss of framerate on even some of the really high end graphics cards.

PS: I'll also go ahead and add in, that if you are playing with Bethesda's Hi-Res DLC (the only FREE DLC) THAT is most likely your culprit. There's reason, why they don't charge for that.

To avoid lawsuits.

Sorry for the late reply

I run Fallout 4 on a Computer i run all of the dlc except the mentioned hi res dlc

The stuttering is Constant however it can be worse or better at different times

This is an example If you need more footage i can provide

The vanilla game runs perfectly fine by itself and i did a modded playthrough with a small mod count (40) and got away with minor stuttering

in my next post i will provide footage and mod list

Edited by kchills

Ok sounds good. Taking the time to record it, is awesome of you :smile:

A few basic specs about your system, such as processor, Ram, graphics set up, whether you have it installed on a SDD, and if so, what percentage of the drive is free space, stuff like that would also be very helpful :wink:

Just to add to this, a couple things I noticed added to stuttering...loose textures and NPC overhauls (especially if created with FO4edit). I took the majority of my loose textures and packed them into ba2's, and for my npc overhauls, generated facegen data for them in the Creation Kit. Both made a huge difference in my game's performance.

Just to add to this, a couple things I noticed added to stuttering...loose textures and NPC overhauls (especially if created with FO4edit). I took the majority of my loose textures and packed them into ba2's, and for my npc overhauls, generated facegen data for them in the Creation Kit. Both made a huge difference in my game's performance.

I was just reading in the description of a mod that the author had gone ahead and packed their files into BA2 archives, due to some stuttering issues.

This is purely just speculation, but my educated guess would be file caching. Since Windows would be reading it ALL as a single "file" that it would cache the entire thing, all at once. Instead of reading and caching each separate file individually.