Everquest

Adras

WoW may be more cartoon like, but at least the artists put real work into it

Ug..hope you're joking. The EQ2 dev team did such a better job of selling their game to the public, rather than just relying on the name "Warcraft" being in there somewhere and knowing that all the kiddies would come flocking to it like tramps to a free food stall.

Go to gametrailers.com and load up EQ2 trailers, then WoW trailers...you'll soon be saying "WoW" to EQ2 and going "WTF IS THAT?" to the WoW trailers.

Like Valdir said, I was trying to say that the graphical abilities of the engine take president over the art IMO. Whereas WoW concentrates far more on perfecting current graphical capabilities with good art.

Besides, it's not just about the graphics or the name "Warcraft", those were the absolute ruddy last things that attracted me to this game. It's the gameplay, very fast and very fun IMO, sure it's not "hardcore" like the 1337 mass camping for quest items/rares in Everquest (which sounds about as fun as watching paint dry to me) but it is fun. In the end, that's what games are about, having fun, not trying to prove yourself the awesome overlord of hardcore gaming.

Yes, I have downloaded the EQ2 trailers before. Yes, the graphical effects are very impressive, and had me drooling, however it doesn't stop the characters looking very mechanical in their movements, and a lot of the scenery appears plastic looking to me. Plus, the trailers were done on very high end PCs, I sincerely doubt your average computer could run the game at those sort of graphics at those sorts of speeds.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's put it this way.. If it is a MMORPG, it is destined to be so addictive.

My theory to it's reasoning is that it's like actually going out in a forest,

and slaying a bunch of rabbits. I've spent 5 months on Final Fantasy XI.

Yes, and it is just as bad as EQ. I ended up buying a mini fridgerator to

put in my bed room. I spent 9-12 hours a day on that game. Playing

MMORPGs like EQ allow your deeper adventure to come out, and tear

apart innocent deformed beings. Though some aren't always deformed.

Anyways, MMORPGs are not worth the time and money. They simply

suck.. People are always cheating you out of money, armor, kills,

everything. Though, I'll tell you what. If you want a good alternative

to MMORPGS. Try MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons) for people who do not

know what this is. A MUD is a text based game. They've been around

for a long time now. Most are based off of D&D rules. I've played the

same MUD for close to 6 years now, but not like a crack fiend.

Like Valdir said, I was trying to say that the graphical abilities of the engine take president over the art IMO. Whereas WoW concentrates far more on perfecting current graphical capabilities with good art.

I'd rather have an ahead-of-its-time game engine with good graphics to back it up, than a current state of the art engine with good graphics - means its going to look good in two years time.

It's the gameplay, very fast and very fun IMO

Pretty much why everyone has swarmed to WoW over other MMORPGs...because its fast. "**ZOMG** I MDE LEVEL 50 IN 3 W33ks!!!111one one eleven!!! I AM TEH UB3R PR0 AND R0XX0RZ J0" :rolleyes:

The whole point of an MMORPG is to not be able to hit the level cap for a while, else people won't even be paying the monthly fee to stay on.

Plus, the trailers were done on very high end PCs, I sincerely doubt your average computer could run the game at those sort of graphics at those sorts of speeds.

Backs up my first comment. I'd rather have a game that looks good now, and good in two years time..than a game that looks good now and not good in two years time.

Hmm, well I prefer it to be fast, personally. At least then you haven't got these stuck up high level players who think of everyone below them as insects just because they played 12 hours a day for 2 months to reach level 75.

I like the ability to reach a high level while actually, shock, horror... having fun. It's still not a walk over to level up in WoW, but it's nowhere near as difficult or annoying as FFXI, EQ, or indeed, the worst of them all, UO. Besides, the highest level player I've seen so far is level 44, and this is after the game's been out for about 3 weeks. And they were probably playing almost straight. So it's not exactly that easy to reach cap.

For those who complain about the 15 bucks a month:

Free and Legal

Sounds good to me. The old EQ is probably quite cheap by now and I won't have to upgrade my PC (and spending a lot of money) to play it. And graphic is not necessarily the most important element of a game in my point of view. Personally I like to play games like Baldur's Gate despite their old graphics.

Archived