Vortex GUI slows down after 800+ mods installed

Hi all,

I've pestered Pickysaurus about this in the past, but it's still a problem. I usually use MO2 for a few months, then I'll download Vortex and run it for a while to see how everything is. The issue that keeps repeating itself is still here - Vortex's GUI cannot keep up with large load orders.

I currently have 170 regular plugins and 1151 light plugins. The time to sort and refresh the GUI plugin list is up to 12 minutes per sort. So, if I generate Nemesis output files, I have to wait 12 minutes. If I change a plugin to light and deploy, I have to wait 12 minutes. If I change a plugin in CK or xEdit, I have to wait 12 minutes. If I delete a plugin, I have to wait 12 minutes. If I reinstall a mod with a FOMOD and select a new option, I have to wait 12 minutes to manually activate the newly selected plugin.

I spend more time waiting on Vortex than I do playing Skyrim.

Since it's easier to show than to explain, I'm attaching a Mega file download link with footage from my last session. I opened Vortex immediately after restarting my computer. Took 12 minutes.

Thanks.

PS - I have a total of three custom LOOT rules.

PPS - Please spare me any "zomg u have large load order." Welcome to modding in 2022. There are plenty of guides that are 1,000+ mods out there.

got to ask - what do you expect?

I expect Nexus' flagship mod manager to function at least as good as, if not better, than its competitor program. The longest I've ever waited with MO2 + LOOT for sorting is 3 minutes.

Also, thank you for your super helpful and insightful post. Very erudite.

Vortex and it's competitor, as you say, were both written by Tannin.

You can't cross-check every file in 800 mods in three minutes.

I will say Vortex does a better job - and it has Loot built-in.

Keep the aggressive attitude and people willing to respond to you will shrink.

I expect Nexus' flagship mod manager to function at least as good as, if not better, than its competitor program. The longest I've ever waited with MO2 + LOOT for sorting is 3 minutes.

would this also cause issues with wyre bash i have 301 mods installed and now wyre bash doesnt want produce reports. got it to work 1 time with a WIP version directly from there discord before it defaulted back to the same issue. im on the verge of just formatting my hard drives and starting again. because on top of this vortex keeps filling my C drive despite all my games and there mods being on my e drive.

Question: "I have a total of three custom LOOT rules". Is this LOOT rules for sorting plugins, or Vortex rules for sorting assets?

As far as I know, Vortex keeps all assets and assigns the virtual files based on all the override rules that you have set up during installation. So each virtual file is only made once in the end.

MO2 simply overwrites everything in order of the mod priority in the left pane. So it requires no actual "thought" about anything. It might create the same virtual file link twelve times pointing to twelve different files in the staging folder if that asset happens to be repeated a lot in your mod list.

Sophistication vs. brute force. Computers are usually better at brute force.

would this also cause issues with wyre bash i have 301 mods installed and now wyre bash doesnt want produce reports. got it to work 1 time with a WIP version directly from there discord before it defaulted back to the same issue. im on the verge of just formatting my hard drives and starting again. because on top of this vortex keeps filling my C drive despite all my games and there mods being on my e drive.

Wrye bash doesn't function in any way like Vortex or MO2. It makes no use of LOOT, cares nothing about asset priorities.

And if Vortex is filling your C: drive, then you simply have your settings wrong in Vortex. Move your download and staging folders and Vortex won't use much space on C: at all.

I would recommend to keep working with the Wrye Bash discord. They're likely going to know how their program works in certain mod managers better than anyone else.

Question: "I have a total of three custom LOOT rules". Is this LOOT rules for sorting plugins, or Vortex rules for sorting assets?

As far as I know, Vortex keeps all assets and assigns the virtual files based on all the override rules that you have set up during installation. So each virtual file is only made once in the end.

MO2 simply overwrites everything in order of the mod priority in the left pane. So it requires no actual "thought" about anything. It might create the same virtual file link twelve times pointing to twelve different files in the staging folder if that asset happens to be repeated a lot in your mod list.

Sorting plugins.

Sorting plugins.

Then probably not the thing causing the slowdown. Plugin sorting should be pretty comparable between the two, while asset sorting is not.