⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vortex GUI slows down after 800+ mods installed

Guest deleted34304850

got to ask - what do you expect?

I expect Nexus' flagship mod manager to function at least as good as, if not better, than its competitor program. The longest I've ever waited with MO2 + LOOT for sorting is 3 minutes.

Also, thank you for your super helpful and insightful post. Very erudite.

well, no, i asked because your opening post was nothing but a whine and didn't contain enough information for anyone to actually help you.

so you want it to be "better" - okay. bit light on detail but we'll go with what we've got.

first thing to say - vortex is working fine - as in - its performance is what i'd consider normal - i run a fo4 game with over 1k mods in it and while that's obviously not the same as your set up, i can say that when i deploy - i expect deployment to take some time - anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the mods being deployed, because i understand how computers work.

could it be better? sure - but the significant improvements wouldn't be with vortex itself - it would be hardware upgrades on my system which would make vortex "better".

In your detail free whine, you state you have over 1K ESL's - that's a lot of files that need to be deployed and redeployed - that's a lot of I/O and I/O takes time. i'm going to guess at some texture mods in that collection - based on nothing but intuition.

so my next questions are as follows - give it time, you'll see a pattern emerging, and you can put your shitty snarky tone away and learn something;

1. under settings do you have deploy when enabled or install mods when downloaded enabled?

if you have either of those set to active, can you set them both to disabled?

the reason i'm asking that is because if you have deploy when enabled active, then this will trigger the deployment of your mod any time you download and install a mod, and, if you know anything about modding, which i'm sure you do, that will trigger vortex to open/check/verify each file for every mod and that's your 12 minutes.

if you set that to disabled, you don't have that overhead. of course, you now have to manually install/deploy/enable - but you could do that then go and do something for the next 12 minutes and come back when you're done.

my next questions - i want to see if your system is a contributor to your clear and obvious pain.

the drive you're deploying to - describe it. how large is it? is it a hdd/ssd/hybrid/something else? how healthy is it? is it local or is it a network drive or is it a cloud based storage offering?

the system you're running - how much ram do you have?

what is your cpu/gpu?

do you have process explorer or process monitor installed on your system? if not, you can get them from microsoft relatively easily. you can use those tools to give you a bit more insight into what vortex is doing, and they can both be utilized to try and spot bottlenecks when you are deploying mods.

more questions;

over 1K ESL's is - well, nuts.

surely there are at least two out there that could be merged, or used in a bash patch? the reason i'm suggesting this is to try and cut down on the number of actual files that any mod manager has to deal with. do you know how to merge plugins or create a bashed patch? perhaps this is an opportunity for you to stretch?

the final question - going back to vortex - do you have gpu acceleration enabled? if not - could you enable it? this will help to a small degree.

see? just questions designed to help you. now, over to you - no snark, no whine, just answers please.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

Guest deleted34304850

something else you may consider;

a while ago i proposed an improvement to vortex, where the size of the mod would be available to sort on. the idea behind this was, if i wanted to build out a new load order, i'd like to install all the smaller mods first - leaving huge mods such as texture mods or quest mods until much later in my deployment.

happily, because the vortex devs are great, they added this feature.

so, could you sort your mods on mod size (use the cog icon to open up additional columns in your mod page and enable mod size), then see what happens if you deploy all your smaller mods first, leaving larger mods disabled? my guess would be that you will see a lot of smaller mods enabled, then you can pick and choose when to install the larger mods after you've verified that your smaller mods have all deployed correctly and your game is working as you expect.

then i'd concentrate on the larger mods - i'd also ask how many of them are loose files versus bsa archives? loose files will take longer to deploy as they are, well, loose - whereas a bsa is a single file and obviously takes a shorter amount of time. could those files that are loose be packed as bsa's? that would speed up deployment - but that's another topic for another day.

Guest deleted34304850

got to ask - what do you expect?

I expect Nexus' flagship mod manager to function at least as good as, if not better, than its competitor program. The longest I've ever waited with MO2 + LOOT for sorting is 3 minutes.

Also, thank you for your super helpful and insightful post. Very erudite.

would this also cause issues with wyre bash i have 301 mods installed and now wyre bash doesnt want produce reports. got it to work 1 time with a WIP version directly from there discord before it defaulted back to the same issue. im on the verge of just formatting my hard drives and starting again. because on top of this vortex keeps filling my C drive despite all my games and there mods being on my e drive.

don't hijack a thread and post a load of gubbins thats nothing to do with the opening post. start a new thread. it ain't hard.

Sorting with LOOT gets extremely slow with a large number of plugins, this is a well known issue: https://github.com/loot/loot/issues/1370

Thanks for the heads up. This is the system Im using, if it matters. If 600 mods is the sweet spot, Ill stand by until it can handle larger load orders.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dddn8r

Sorting with Vortex and sorting with the LOOT app use different userlists, so there's going to be a difference there.

Head to %AppData%\Vortex\skyrimse and look for the userlist.yaml file. There might be leftover junk in that file from previous modding?

You may also want to find the same file that LOOT itself uses and compare.