ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

bican203

Exactly. The creation of a mod is educational for you and you dont sell anything created with it.

As for working with it - i used to watch all episodes from nightasy here on Nexus about working with armor creation/modification. Its very beginner friendly as it is in a decent speed and not some speed modelling and rushing through things. He explains the installation of all needed tools and the setup he uses for himself regarding directories etc

Edited by dwiss

Exactly. The creation of a mod is educational for you and you dont sell anything created with it.

As for working with it - i used to watch all episodes from nightasy here on Nexus about working with armor creation/modification. Its very beginner friendly as it is in a decent speed and not some speed modelling and rushing through things. He explains the installation of all needed tools and the setup he uses for himself regarding directories etc

I was on the downloader part of nexus all this time so i don't actually know where the tutorials are. Where can I find them?

Here is his channel - here the website and this is the link on Nexus for it ->http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19249/?

And before you ask - yes i am a fan of his work :) The best video based tutorials for modding i found for Skyrim so far. There are great text tutorials around as well which i usually prefer but that would be a very long list - so check out the videos first maybe

Edited by dwiss

I've tried nightasy's tutorials in the past, and frankly he skips steps on various things but at the same time he gives info on critical stuff like problem areas(areas where clipping is most likely to happen and how to prevent them). I also couldn't stand that I could barely hear him. I opted to take courses in 3D modeling instead.

Sword creation is perhaps the easiest of all the modeling categories, especially with the box modeling method.

The student version is for personal use without actually being a student. It limits the usage of the tool to personal education :wink: - so no commercial creation with it. >But it is a full blown version of 3ds max - no functional limitations.

I suggest you go for the 2012 version - dont take the 2013 version

Adding to this, you can't use any version above 2012, because there aren't nifscripts compatible with 2013 and above.

Edited by Terra Nova

@Terra Reason to suggest him is that he is basically the best a newcomer can start with regarding Skyrim. You might grow out of his level of expertise in modelling etc quickly but then you will be able to figure out where to look for it yourself already. He never aimed to be the best modelling tutorial but he delivers pretty much everything that is important to know about Skyrim specifics when it comes to starting with modding.

Edited by dwiss

@Terra Reason to suggest him is that he is basically the best a newcomer can start with regarding Skyrim. You might grow out of his level of expertise in modelling etc quickly but then you will be able to figure out where to look for it yourself already. He never aimed to be the best modelling tutorial but he delivers pretty much everything that is important to know about Skyrim specifics when it comes to starting with modding.

All concepts learned for modeling for skyrim can be applied anywhere else really. It's just techniques you learn. It's getting the stuff into skyrim that puts off a lot of people, myself included. I'm not saying his tutorials aren't ideal, no way. I was making my transition from blender when I used his tutorials, and my initial frustration and confusion with max while making that transition contributed to me not being able to follow his tutorials well. For the things I was specifically looking for, he didn't cover, that's all.

And I'm not exactly out of his(or yours) expertise. I still can't make armors :P.

Edited by Terra Nova

Well - i can only speak for myself of course regarding knowledge and ability. I hadnt used any 3d-modeling software at all before doing his tutorials beside trying to fiddle with blender which i stopped after 1 hour already as it blew my head and the lack of decent understandable documentation for a dummy like me. Using nightasy's tutorials i managed to create and edit Skyrim stuff pretty quickly and moved on to learn a lot more about 3ds max since then. I could concentrate on the Skyrim explicit stuff to begin with instead of learning how to model in general - which was all that i wanted in the beginning - purely working for Skyrim.

I must add one thing, as you seem to talk about this rather bakward. You should learn 3d not via Skyrim, but use Skyrim as an inspiration and motivation. If you only look for Skyrim-related tutorials, you get nowhere. However, if you learn to model, then how to convert to Skyrim, you are set in stone.

You do not learn via Skyrim and grow out of Skyrim, you learn to model and grow in to Skyrim.

Of course, this does not apply if it is editting already made meshes. Other than that, you should focus on the modelling before Skyrim. Start simple. Made a crate, or a sword -- that's how I started. In the end you learn to use the exporter, learn Nifskope and you are free to do whatever you want. You are not limited to Skyrim, Syrim is only the canvas you apply your already made painting -- or so to speak.

Matth