3rd & 1st Person Animations for Using the Inventory?

ADragonCalledGeorge

So there are mods that let you wear backpacks or similar things to increase carryweight and add that extra touch of realism rather than having all your stuff be invisible. But it still doesn't seem realistic cause you pause the entire world aound you and magically pull out your stuff from nowhere despite the luggage on your back. THus I was struck with an eppifany!! How about making an animation that will happen every time you access your inventory. THe animation will happen in the background while your inventory is open and will end once you close the inventory.

Basically the mod will scan for any backpack mods installed (or make one of its own) and then the player will take off the backpack possibly using the animation where he/she pulls an arrow from the quiver. He could then use the animation where the werewolf bends down and stuff happens like in that hunting mod when the player bends down and strips off the animal stuff.

This would make things reallly realistic though and stop things from being like cheating. Cause in the heat of battle you couldn't really pull all your stuff out and be fine. A 1st person would probably be tough but the arrow animation is also for first person so it could possibly work. Personally I think this would be really cool and further add that realistic touch to Skyrim. What do you think?

There is a problem with that. The game is hard coded to pause when in the inventory menu. Any animations that take place would have to happen before or after.

One could, in theory, have a backpack, satchel or whatever unequip or be spawned (depending upon how the mod is made) and use either the kneeling animation or there is a treasure chest looting animation that could be used very briefly before the inventory is actually accessed. Then when the inventory is closed the player returns to idle and the representative container item is returned to it's equipped or otherwise normal position.

As far as "stop things from being like cheating", such a container could have a check for combat and if the player IsInCombat then not allow access. Thus require the player to think ahead about what to carry in case they get ambushed and might need something.

There is a problem with that. The game is hard coded to pause when in the inventory menu. Any animations that take place would have to happen before or after.

One could, in theory, have a backpack, satchel or whatever unequip or be spawned (depending upon how the mod is made) and use either the kneeling animation or there is a treasure chest looting animation that could be used very briefly before the inventory is actually accessed. Then when the inventory is closed the player returns to idle and the representative container item is returned to it's equipped or otherwise normal position.

As far as "stop things from being like cheating", such a container could have a check for combat and if the player IsInCombat then not allow access. Thus require the player to think ahead about what to carry in case they get ambushed and might need something.

That sound awesome and would be really cool!! I was thinking it might be tough to make it happen in between so it would make more sense for the animation to happen after you access your inventory. Also, I do like the idea of it being inaccessable during combat as I was toying with the idea cause you can't use crafting stations in combat so why not your inventry? The only problem of course is your potions and weaons and shields. Perhaps an exception could be made for them or there could be some work around cause your weapons aren't in your inventory but on your person. Would you know this kind of programing out of curiosity? :) Hopefully a mod like this won't freeze up my PC as I have a very low-end system unfortunaely but I might upgrade soon.

Well if you play as I try to do, I carry only what I use or think I will use on my person. That means current worn armor, one or two bows with arrows, sword and shield, and health related potions. Other things that I carry are current quest related items, keys obtained on the current quest or dungeon and any notes, treasure maps that I think I'll need. Everything else I stick in a bag of holding.

In this scenario the bag of holding can be prevented from having access while the player is in combat.

Otherwise, you cannot prevent the player from accessing their inventory.

So what you are wanting could be doable in association with a bag of holding of some type but not with the player inventory.

Well if you play as I try to do, I carry only what I use or think I will use on my person. That means current worn armor, one or two bows with arrows, sword and shield, and health related potions. Other things that I carry are current quest related items, keys obtained on the current quest or dungeon and any notes, treasure maps that I think I'll need. Everything else I stick in a bag of holding.

In this scenario the bag of holding can be prevented from having access while the player is in combat.

Otherwise, you cannot prevent the player from accessing their inventory.

So what you are wanting could be doable in association with a bag of holding of some type but not with the player inventory.

Same here! That's how I play at least in this game. I only carry my armor (Steel Plate stuff, a Daedric Bow, Various Daedric/Ebony Arrows, torches, Dragonspear - the mod sword - and an Ebony Shield of Fire Resistance plus a ton of health potions and soul gems though now I don't need potions much unless I am facing a dragon or giant, still doesn't hurt). As for the bag of holding I don't use that cause it's kind of like cheating and I am trying my best to keep this game as cheat-free as possible though I do use some mods of course but not cheat-ones. I might use that mod in a future game though. It would definitely fit a mage-oriented character methinks. As for the mod idea I gave, I guess it's a no-go cause of what you said so no worries then. I'll just pretend to equip the inventory I guess.

Could one not remap the inventory key (Default 'I') to an skse related action that makes you do this "backpack" animation and then opens the inventory only if the animation is completed?

I say this because i have seen other mods which remapped keys to animations like 'TK Dodge' or whatever it's called.

Edited by Dominoes666

Whatever key the player has assigned to open inventory is the only method to properly open the player inventory. When scripted to open, the player's inventory is duplicated. This is because the engine is hard coded to open the target actor's inventory in conjunction with the player's inventory.

You can use SKSE's TapKey to open the inventory with the player chosen key (provided you give them means to match your scripted value with the actual value). But that doesn't prevent the player from opening the inventory normally on their own.

So, Dominoes666, what you are suggesting is doable with any type of carried container but not doable with the player's inventory itself.