Sofia - a funny, fully voiced and scripted follower(WIP)

djjohnjarvis

The whole idea is that she does low level enchanting for those who don't want their characters to be enchanters so it's not based on player skill. In that video it was just a test and was me triggering the enchanting via a key press but now Sofia actually physically enchants the weapon by you giving her the weapon (similar to how you give her alcohol). I am still working on the enchanting system and it's still in the early stages.

Since the video though I have added most of the other enchantments and I have restricted her to only giving you a low enchantment level to avoid players exploiting the system and because she isn't some master enchanter. If you add just one enchantment, that one enchantment will be stronger than if you added two enchantments. So you could have two enchantments but at the cost of them being weaker. I need to come up with some kind of limitation though as one obvious exploit is people repeatedly enchanting the items to sell for a high price. One thing I also want is to only have her do it at an enchanting table and perhaps also add in the animations.

I plan to turn the enchanting eventually into a fully separate mod where enchanters can add enchantments for you so a player that doesn't do enchanting can get someone else to do it for a price but it will be a lot more complex than the one used for the Sofia mod as she isn't suppose to be a master enchanter. I don't believe there are any mods out there that allow someone else to enchant your gear so this should be a cool little feature until I do something a little more complex with it.

This is an optional plugin for Sofia that requires SKSE so it is just a cool little addition and is not needed to use the mod. I might also do smithing and alchemy plugins for Sofia so you have the choice of her optionally having some knowledge of these skills. Since I have already done a mod for smithing that should be easy.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. I can say, however, that I am super hyped about this follower. Sofia could definitely overtake Vilja or Cerwiden (hopefully I got those names correct) as best custom female follower from what I've seen due to her charm and humourous personality.

Keep up the good work, mate. Can't wait 'till April or whenever this treasure will be coming out.

Edited by PellinoreWarthrop

Speaking of enchanting, it would be cool if she starts at the same level of enchanting as the player and the player must supply enchanted items for her to learn the enchantments and level her enchanting at about the same pace. Plus asking her to enchant certain items and supply the item and soul gems to enchant with, this could raise her skill the same amount. But more on that and basic crafting...

If you give her a bag for crafting an enchanting supplies have her use what's in it for enchanting and crafting when sandboxing at a home that has the crafting furniture. If you put a ingots, pelts, leather, gems, soul gems and ingredients she will use the crafting furniture when you are not around or whenever she is sandboxing and uses one. What she does with what's in the bags is make random items based on her skill level and in doing so she gains a small amount of skill level. A good ratio could be 100 daggers gains her 1 skill point.

Probably an overly complicated setup but would be kinda cool if she made random stuff.

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. I can say, however, that I am super hyped about this follower. Sofia could definitely overtake Vilja or Cerwiden (hopefully I got those names correct) as best custom female follower from what I've seen due to her charm and humourous personality.

Keep up the good work, mate. Can't wait 'till April or whenever this treasure will be coming out.

Thanks. She will certainly add something a little different.

Speaking of enchanting, it would be cool if she starts at the same level of enchanting as the player and the player must supply enchanted items for her to learn the enchantments and level her enchanting at about the same pace. Plus asking her to enchant certain items and supply the item and soul gems to enchant with, this could raise her skill the same amount. But more on that and basic crafting...

If you give her a bag for crafting an enchanting supplies have her use what's in it for enchanting and crafting when sandboxing at a home that has the crafting furniture. If you put a ingots, pelts, leather, gems, soul gems and ingredients she will use the crafting furniture when you are not around or whenever she is sandboxing and uses one. What she does with what's in the bags is make random items based on her skill level and in doing so she gains a small amount of skill level. A good ratio could be 100 daggers gains her 1 skill point.

Probably an overly complicated setup but would be kinda cool if she made random stuff.

Yea I was thinking of having to supply her with soul gems and perhaps somehow train her up a bit. That would be fairly straight forward. The other stuff might be a bit more complicated and I don't want to spend too much time over it as there are plenty of other features to come, although of course the mod will be expanded upon gradually once released so I'm not ruling it out at a later date. The enchanting feature is not easy however and is probably the most difficult thing I have coded for Skyrim as the whole workaround for Skyrim's hard-coded enchanting system is complex and isn't just a case of calling a few scripting functions. Making her do smithing though should be easy as I could just borrow the code I wrote for my old smithing mod so that would be fairly easy to add in.

Update: I have slightly altered Sofia's appearance. The changes are only small but the results are quite obvious.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2hy81mb.jpg

Sofia meets real Sofia:

http://i61.tinypic.com/52aypd.jpg

To be honest, I kind of preferred her previous appearance. :/ That said, I'm far more interested in her dialogue and functionality that I am in her appearance so I'm still really excited for the mod! :D

Well all you would have to do is change her hairstyle back and change the eye colour slightly as that is all that has changed. I think I may have also chosen a slightly thinner eyebrow but her face is exactly the same so you needn't worry about her being changed beyond repair. I just prefer this hairstyle and it is what I have on my current test playthrough character.

Like I said, it's definitely not a big deal at all, and I certainly don't have an issue with her current appearance! I think it might just be that the first image catches her in a weird light (or I'm just being blind!)-for some reason I got the impression that you had enlarged her jaw/chin. Can't wait to hear what other interesting features she has to offer-or maybe a little hints regarding any potential quests she has!

Like I said, it's definitely not a big deal at all, and I certainly don't have an issue with her current appearance! I think it might just be that the first image catches her in a weird light (or I'm just being blind!)-for some reason I got the impression that you had enlarged her jaw/chin. Can't wait to hear what other interesting features she has to offer-or maybe a little hints regarding any potential quests she has!

Ah yes I see what you mean. Unfortunately I suck at taking screenshots and NPCs never keep their head still. I think she has her head tilted back slightly coupled with a strange shadow which is hard to notice when I'm in game taking the shots. I can guarantee that her face hasn't been altered though.

Well you just had a feature update but I suppose I could drop a small sample from the latest script:

What? Where am I? Ugh my head! (Waking up from a drunken sleep) Oh it’s you! Uh I mean what? No I’ve never seen you before. I have no idea who you are. It’s not like I’ve been stalking you or anything. (awkward lie)

Player: Um… Ok. I have to go now.

Wait! Don’t leave!... I’m injured… uh yes injured (lie). You have to take me with you otherwise I might die and you wouldn’t want that on your conscience.