Fallout 4 vanilla guns. Mostly Suck.

StormWolf01

What really makes 0 sense is having 10mm pistols in your game and ALSO having semi-auto pistols firing revolver calibers in your game - and firing .44 Mag at that. Fallout 1 - Desert Eagle.

Why on earth would anyone adopt 10mm when you can fire .44 Mag from a semi-auto pistol?

i.e. the bigger the better the tighter the sweater. Just use a Desert Eagle and be done with it - it's actually smaller than a 10mm pistol anyway.....

I'm in absolute agreement with you, Fraquar. But, I have to be sarcastic about the subject. Considering that the .45 casing ejected by the Combat PMC ("Rifle") says 10mm on the casing....

I'm really honestly NOT surprised that the dev team either doesn't know, or doesn't care, about the differences between regular pistol cartridges, and revolver cartridges. And why they don't cross-compatible very well at all.

The 10mm pistol that I saw from.... OMG, I can't remember! It's the one where you can nuke the ghoul town. It looked like they took the rump-end of a DE, and threw it onto another frame. Same blocky butt-end, and nearly identical frame safety.

Frame size. 10mm is a slightly shorter cartridge than 44. While still big, it fits smaller hands *snickers* a bit better than the DE.

Some .40 and .45 barrels can also be bored out to accept 10mm, tho they may not hold up to the pressures.

Report. Mkay, this is highly subjective, due to it being a personal issue. But I'd take the muzzle blast of a .44 over a 10mil ANY day. It's impossible to really describe it, unless you've heard the pistols that I'm talking about. But a .44 (and .357) have a deeper, more "boom" type sound.

.40 S&W, .45, and 10mil have a kind of "Crack" to them. And that, even with ear protection, feels like a nail being driven into my ears every time one of them goes off. And that sensation is a flinch that I've never been able to overcome. (.40 ain't SO bad, it's manageable. But yeah, it's still present).

But yeah. They both kick like crazy. Unless you've got some serious porting, or compensators going on. But then, you're back to the muzzle blast, which is now louder.

On the note of noise. Yeah. IRL you can't suppress a revolver. Not the way that you can a pistol. Due to the gap between the breech and the cylinder. So there's another point for the pistols.

Interesting note about the .44 magnum. It hits harder at the end of it's range, than it does, at close range. It's moving slower, so it energy dumps a lot better, and it's actually heavier, due to gravity controlling more of it's forward movement.

Not a lot of experience with 10mm myself. I'd love to own one. Have wanted one since the Delta Elites were released. But yeah. That kick, and the nail in my ears, it's too expensive a round to be worth the pain I'd feel after.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think if they put the DE in the lore in Fallout 1, that the 10mm would have never, ever been a thing in Fallout lore.

Both try to do the exact same thing - push Magnum class ammo out of a Semi-Auto pistol.

One only requires the existing ammo - the other a completely new type of ammo.

Seems like a no-brainer considering the size of handgun you need to fire 10mm isn't much smaller than what you'd need to fire ,357.

• 2 months later...

it is easy to to configure your weapons as you like. you need just some simple mods providing legendary slots, or just do the exact opposite. remove any helping extra or overpowered features. in my opinion it is just that simple. if you want a perfect lore, play a shooter not fo4 :smile: even if fo4 is superior to some shooter if you collect the right mods... fo4 is limitless configurable.playing fo4 in vanilla mode is like playing skyrim in vanilla mode. impossible and boring at least for me for more than ten minutes

i just add the guns i want to use and not even bother to add the to the level list. this point for me Fallout 4 is just a sandbox with a story i ignore.

I agree with about 80% of that. It's that remaining 20% that continuously gnaws at me.

There is no better example of that than the Mk23 SOCOM (NovaFinch). You haven't even recovered from being blinded by the sun and you are blinded by a laser by a turned over van. Hmm, what could that be.......

Now I want that pistol, bad. Like a whino on a Friday night wants a bottle. Still, I should at least need to work for it - and once I got it every day is Merry Christmas....

I put it in one of the DIA Cache locations - I even know which one. Problem is I don't know if P.A.M. even cares, she just hands out those missions in a random order every game. Is she going to give you Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3. For the love of god P.A.M. please give me Door #3. :D

• 2 months later...

To many bullets to kill anything in the game to like the default guns to like the them. Even the combat rifle fully rig takes why to many bullets. Love the .50 caliber rifle mod, when it works - it sucks at killing rad roaches :ermm:. The other mod I use the British SA80 feels right and sounds right. The problem is with the game story line in which rounds, except .38 are limited. I do not use VATS so that cheat is out for me. My question is why would the survivors in FO4 chose so poor weapons knowing how hard it is to kill with that weapon system? For me they would not.

• 3 weeks later...

I run modern firearms, (along with modern armors....) and then another mod that un-levels all the guns. So pretty much anything can show up anywhere, at any time. (raiders with atchinson assault shotguns at level 1 are friggin' deadly.....) I don't think I have used a vanilla weapon in years. :D

I do not use the default weapons as well, except in the beginning when I can not find a proper weapon. I use the British 80 mod and it feels right. The raiders end up with the DKS rifle which makes the game more real(?).

I point. Go bang bang. People die.

What more do you want?

Not to use over three mags of .38 ammo. for a pipe pistol, to kill a Radscorpions or two more mags to kill a Black bloatfly, with a 10mm.

Edited by tomanytomorrows

I LIKE me some revolvers! Oh yes, yes I do :yes:

And Bethesda even flubbed THAT up. The heavy barrel needs better detail. It looks like the end of a pellet gun. And while I've never done a screenshot to compare it... seeing it in action it really does look like the business end is too small for the bullets to come out of! And... AND... A N D... this single action only, BS (unless you buy DLC) is horse drek. And that animation of slinging the cylinders into the frame like that makes me cringe every time I see it. (For real, you can ruin a revolver that way!)

The gunshot fx sounds NOTHING like a 44. It sounds more like somebody smacking a cheap tin plate.

And then... Ok. Yeah. I .44 CAN have some pretty hardy muzzle flip. Especially with hot loads. But COME ON!!!

But yeah. 6-8 rounds in a gunfight? More difficult reload? Nah. Not by preference. Magazine fed auto loader, any day.

Tho yeah, I do like lever action a lot. But vanilla loading animations, and no vanilla tactical reload.... BLEH.

I keep wanting to try out modern firearms. But I never get around to trying it. Too much work taking out the level list, and not enough time in my day or weekend :sad:

Why would you take out the leveled lists??

I have another mod that makes ALL weapons available at level 1. Makes for a really interesting start to the game. I still see pipe weapons, and vanilla weapons as well. Combine this with PANPC mod, and the wasteland just got a LOT more dangerous. :D

What mod is that?

To many bullets to kill anything in the game to like the default guns to like the them. Even the combat rifle fully rig takes why to many bullets. Love the .50 caliber rifle mod, when it works - it sucks at killing rad roaches :ermm:. The other mod I use the British SA80 feels right and sounds right. The problem is with the game story line in which rounds, except .38 are limited. I do not use VATS so that cheat is out for me. My question is why would the survivors in FO4 chose so poor weapons knowing how hard it is to kill with that weapon system? For me they would not.

Very annoying trying to kill a radroach with a .5o. I think it is because the rifle is to big to see where the radroach is. :wallbash:

I LIKE me some revolvers! Oh yes, yes I do :yes:

And Bethesda even flubbed THAT up. The heavy barrel needs better detail. It looks like the end of a pellet gun. And while I've never done a screenshot to compare it... seeing it in action it really does look like the business end is too small for the bullets to come out of! And... AND... A N D... this single action only, BS (unless you buy DLC) is horse drek. And that animation of slinging the cylinders into the frame like that makes me cringe every time I see it. (For real, you can ruin a revolver that way!)

The gunshot fx sounds NOTHING like a 44. It sounds more like somebody smacking a cheap tin plate.

And then... Ok. Yeah. I .44 CAN have some pretty hardy muzzle flip. Especially with hot loads. But COME ON!!!

But yeah. 6-8 rounds in a gunfight? More difficult reload? Nah. Not by preference. Magazine fed auto loader, any day.

Tho yeah, I do like lever action a lot. But vanilla loading animations, and no vanilla tactical reload.... BLEH.

I keep wanting to try out modern firearms. But I never get around to trying it. Too much work taking out the level list, and not enough time in my day or weekend :sad:

Why would you take out the leveled lists??

I have another mod that makes ALL weapons available at level 1. Makes for a really interesting start to the game. I still see pipe weapons, and vanilla weapons as well. Combine this with PANPC mod, and the wasteland just got a LOT more dangerous. :D

What mod is that?

This one. Caution: It makes early game MUCH more challenging. :D Combine it with Pack Attack: NPC Edition, and even at normal difficulty, you die a LOT in the early game. :)

• 2 weeks later...

as far as plant life the commonwealth would be a evergreen forest the seeds of conifers are adapted to survive extreme heat and cold events you can see this in reality as pine trees are the first trees that start growing after a forest fire. grasses would be a stretch as far as food plants it is believable that seeds were kept in shelters and with the lack of pollinating insects the pollination could be done via artificial means by using a feather or soft brush a time consuming process but better than starvation.

that being said the foods being grown would resemble real world foods and not the mutants we see in game.

The first rifles where actual smooth bore cannons and the firearms came out in the 13th century.