What Would Happen If Humans Disappeared?

vetewe7144

"Imagine that all people suddenly disappeared from the planet. The reason is irrelevant, just imagine the result. Now we are going to tell what is going to happen after we are gone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7Q6wazD_E

I wanted to present this at Bethesda.net but there forums are an incomprehensible mess. With exception to spontaneous disappearance of people world [although that would be an interesting storyline]. I think this video would make a logical foundation for building a Fallout game world.

In The Fallout Universe, Non-Feral Ghouls would take over, an all out war would break out with Super Mutants. Sentient Ghouls would set rules to banish from settlements anyone showing signs of going feral for not contributing anymore. Few remaining synths would work on changing their appearance to ghouls to keep anonymity.

• 1 month later...

I love that docu. There's one or two more just like it.

The only 'problem' is that it doesn't account for an all out nuclear exchange, only for power stations having a meltdown, if they where not properly shut down.

In the long run, say 600+ years, it won't make much of a difference, especially without a human presence, but in the short term it would be devastating.

A nuclear winter lasting years is NOT a given thing, btw, but that would be a real "killer" for 95% of all animals & plants.

However, modern day knowledge says nukes do not yield the power to blast debris high enough into the stratosphere for it to stay there for a long time and block the sun.

edit: & neither does the smoke from burning cities ever reach such heights.

Edited by RoNin1971

I think Agent Smith summed it up pretty well.

<vid>

Yep. To Earth we act like a virus, killing the host. "Luckily" for Earth, we'll die first & it might survive. (But its not impossible we set in motion the 'Marsification' of Earth)

Humans would need to change radically in many ways. Too many & radicall I fear. Our "ego", "believes", "emotions", "indifference" & irrational behavior have served us well in the past, but will be our downfall.

Edited by RoNin1971

Well, technically we are all walking swarms of organisms, some of which are viruses.

There is much evidence to indicate that parasites can influence their host's behavior...

So I am not really contradicting anything being said.

Truly, it comes down to how we define things in our world (compartmentalization) that is our undoing.

The Oppenheimer quote niston has in his sig pretty much sums it up.

[sic]

"It is perfectly obvious that the whole world is going to hell. The only possible chance that it might not is that we do not attempt to prevent it from doing so." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

If we see it as a problem [that we must solve] that might be the crux of the problem... :unsure:

Just ask Google's AI engine... Oh, wait you can't: it already decided (based on collective human data) that we ARE the problem.

(So you would have to pose it as a question about dogs)... :rolleyes:

So anyway, it's not all nihilism and atom bombs all the time.

Sometimes you just gotta step back, sit down, enjoy an Ice-Cold Nuka-Cola and smile. :D

Because irony is always delicious. :devil:

I think Agent Smith summed it up pretty well.

<vid>

Yep. To Earth we act like a virus, killing the host. "Luckily" for Earth, we'll die first & it might survive. (But its not impossible we set in motion the 'Marsification' of Earth)

Humans would need to change radically in many ways. Too many & radicall I fear. Our "ego", "believes", "emotions", "indifference" & irrational behavior have served us well in the past, but will be our downfall.

Once humans are gone, the earth will recover. It has been MUCH hotter, and also MUCH colder in the past. We aren't really changing that, we are only changing the rate it which it changes. What took nature thousands of years, we can accomplish in only a couple centuries. Barring a large asteroid impact, of course. :D