Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

Hi -- I'm hoping someone knows how to edit the mac/steam version of Enemy Within so that I can modify the DGC.ini. The offset location given in the wiki for Enemy Unknown doesn't work for Enemy Within. The wiki and the other threads suggest that it's possible to make this modification, I just haven't been able to figure how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to do it on my Mac Steam EU but my mac died a few days ago so can't help with EW on mac.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember the hex editor I gooled hex editor mac and I had to track the offset myself as the only mac stuff on the wiki at the time was for the mac store version. I didn't get a chance to find the new offset with patch 5.

The weird thing is that I can't even find the string anywhere in the binaries for either EU or EW now. I wonder if they took it out in the mac version for some reason.

I don't remember the hex editor I gooled hex editor mac and I had to track the offset myself as the only mac stuff on the wiki at the time was for the mac store version. I didn't get a chance to find the new offset with patch 5.

The weird thing is that I can't even find the string anywhere in the binaries for either EU or EW now. I wonder if they took it out in the mac version for some reason.

Be sure you are looking in hex rather than text search mode. Common mistake.

-Dubious-

Hi -- I'm hoping someone knows how to edit the mac/steam version of Enemy Within so that I can modify the DGC.ini. The offset location given in the wiki for Enemy Unknown doesn't work for Enemy Within. The wiki and the other threads suggest that it's possible to make this modification, I just haven't been able to figure how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried changing something in DGC.ini? Like iType=eItem_ArmorKevlar, iHPBonus=10 ... start new game, check soldier's health.

Also in the PC version the string is in unicode. Searching for the regular string 'DefaultGameCore' in XComEW.exe doesn't generate any matches, but search as a unicode string finds 2. In the PC version it is the 2nd instance of this that has to be changed.

Really great thread, lots of useful stuff!

I was wondering if was possible to use the female carapace and skeleton armor looks from EU in EW? They made some slight aesthetic changes in EW and I prefer the look from EU.

I've searched around the forums here and other places, but I couldn't find anything (perhaps because it's not possible).

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread!

Also in the PC version the string is in unicode. Searching for the regular string 'DefaultGameCore' in XComEW.exe doesn't generate any matches, but search as a unicode string finds 2. In the PC version it is the 2nd instance of this that has to be changed.

Yes, that was the problem. I should have been looking for the unicode version of the string. For anyone else looking to mod the mac / os x version of xcom enemy within, the string is found around 0x1fe7eb3. (You also need to edit the hosts file to prevent it phoning home, which os x is found /private/etc/hosts.

Also, thank you very much to OldOne822, Drakous79, dubious intent and Amineri for all valuable help in figuring this out!

EDIT: If you used the initial mod that I posted, revert to your backup. I screwed up the code the first time, because I didn't insert the changed hex properly. The game will almost surely NOT function if you used version 1.0. Use version 1.1, as I've since fixed it. Sorry about any trouble that caused. This is why we keep backups, though!

Here's a fairly experimental Toolboks custom mod that will change Zhang to any class you desire. Just stick the info below into a text file, and set it to any class you want Zhang to be. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'll be testing this, as well. You should have Toolboks set to create backups anyway, but make an extra backup, just in case this breaks something, instead of helping.

MOD_NAME=Zhang is now an Assault
AUTHOR=Metal_Izanagi(Thanks to Tiress for the code that needed to be changed, and johnnylump for the values that represent each soldier 

class.)
Description=Changes Zhang to an Assault, instead of a Heavy.\

version: 1.1

UPK_FILE=XComStrategyGame.upk
OFFSET=02147328
[MODDED_HEX]
{Changes Zhang to an Assault. The last 02 in the line determines Zhang's class. Included in brackets are the lines for each class. 

Replace the hex line for the class you want.}
{Sniper  03 00 00 00 01 00 8A 02 00 00 24 01 0F 35 DF 03}
{Heavy	 03 00 00 00 01 00 8A 02 00 00 24 02 0F 35 DF 03}
{Support 03 00 00 00 01 00 8A 02 00 00 24 03 0F 35 DF 03}
{Assault 03 00 00 00 01 00 8A 02 00 00 24 04 0F 35 DF 03}
03 00 00 00 01 00 8A 02 00 00 24 04 0F 35 DF 03

Edited by FlyingHigh10000000