Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

Dubious, I have no idea what the native function does. Could be just coincidence with something else.

Also verified Steam Cloud synchronization is working with disabled phone home.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is helpful to know. I'll update the wiki "Steam and mods" article. Any idea as to why the earlier report that disabling the EW 'phone home' froze the game? For instance, might it be needful at least once?

-Dubious-

I never disabled my hosts fix to disable the phone home (even through installing Enemy Within and playing my C/I campaign) and I haven't had any problems at all. I still have phone home disabled.

I had automatic updates turned on until today. Turned those off because of whatever Steam/EW issue cropped up this morning, and have been having no crashing issues.

I'm still running Vista, so perhaps that's related?

EDIT : I just realized I was using the old IP address and not the new one, so this isn't terrible useful ~_~

Edited by Amineri

Phone home for EW doesn't do much so far. In EU it was overwriting Armors, Characters and Weapons arrays of DGC.ini and updating some localization files. So the feature isn't causing problems until it updates something modded.

I've made simple test - ran Steam in offline mode with phone home enabled and got updated XComGameCore.ini in My Games\XCOM - Enemy Within\XComGame\Logs\EMS\. So I believe phone home is Firaxis' silent local patcher not using Steam.

Edited by Drakous79

Wanted to chime in and doubly confirm: Resource Hacker does indeed work. Modded my Defaultgamecore.ini today, and used Resource Hacker to force the game to load it. Worked like a charm. Do note that I still needed to run the game first, in order to get all of the original, vanilla config files in place. Once this was done, I shut down the phone home, disabled auto updating in Steam and went offline. I then made my changes to XCOM, and will only play it in offline mode just in case.

But it does work. Which seems to be very good news for the bigger mods out there.

Please help me, I can't get resource hacker to work. I'm not sure how you got it to work even though you said I did this this and this lol.

I turned off steam/updates I don't think I have phone home on.

EDIT I'm going to try the Fperks xcom mod helper, and attempt to do wtvr the oldone 822 told me to :wish me luck:

XCOMMODHELPER is not an internal or external executable command.lol.

Edited by jkjkhardcore

err, i used it, i saw it patched the hex into the exec file but the game crashed 0xc000142 as if it has not been patched

Have you used Resource Hacker after using Mod Helper?

Restore backup of the executable, can be reaquired by Verify Integrity of Game Cache with Steam. Then run the game once.

Next use Mod Helper with EWConfig.xml and edit XEW\XComGame\Config\DefaultGameCore.ini to change whatever you desire. No Resource Hacker needed.

err, i used it, i saw it patched the hex into the exec file but the game crashed 0xc000142 as if it has not been patched

Have you used Resource Hacker after using Mod Helper?

Restore backup of the executable, can be reaquired by Verify Integrity of Game Cache with Steam. Then run the game once.

Next use Mod Helper with EWConfig.xml and edit XEW\XComGame\Config\DefaultGameCore.ini to change whatever you desire. No Resource Hacker needed.

thanks for the tip, i got it to work now

Nationality of soldiers is set in XComGame.upk's XGCharacterGenerator.PickOriginCountry function. Each country has a number designation (which is initialized somewhere else, I'll check later when I'm home from work) which is added one or more times to an array, and then one is chosen at random every time a soldier is generated. In order to change the probability of a certain country coming up, you either add more instances of it to the array or stop some instances of it from being added to the array.

If you mean changing the nationality of an existing soldier, that's more complicated, because it's stored in your save game. I'm not familiar with changing save game files, and, as I recall, Toolboks save game editing functionality was still in alpha for EU when EW came out, so it would probably be relatively low on the list of things to get working immediately (the high priority things being the things that were fully functional before EW changed everything)