Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

Hi everyone. Thanks for your excellent work on this. I basically have one major complaint with the game and that's the promotion XP levels. If it didn't take so much to hit the top level I wouldn't be so frustrated with having people die early on. The game restricts experimenting when you know it will backfire if you lose people.

Is this moddable by just changing text files? I found the values in the XEW folder DefaultGameCore.ini but editing them doesn't seem to make a difference, even with a new game, and having autoupdates turned off.

; Soldier XP Levels (Rookie, Squaddie, Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel)
m_iSoldierXPLevels=0
m_iSoldierXPLevels=90
m_iSoldierXPLevels=480
m_iSoldierXPLevels=700
m_iSoldierXPLevels=925
m_iSoldierXPLevels=1380
m_iSoldierXPLevels=1840
m_iSoldierXPLevels=2550
Edited by jpinard

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you made the necessary changes to the exe to get it to load the ini? Cause otherwise that'd be your problem.

No I have never played with the exe before. I was under the impression the tool that's provided here isn't compatible with XCom-Within yet? If I can edit it, that'd be pretty great!

It looks like the hex change you could use on EU to access the developer console and shell menus does not work with EW.

The way toolboks activated Developer shell menus still works, except it has been moved to a new upk file.

XComUIShell_SF.upk Decimal offset 613341
Org hex (shell disabled)  : 9C
New hex (shell activated) : CF

Not sure if this was an original discovery made by bokauk or common knowledge.

In case it was original discovery by bokauk, all credit belongs to her and hopefully she will not mind me sharing this little re-discovery, while we wait for a new version of the toolboks, which will in the end still be more convenient than manually modding it.

Edited by Bertilsson

Question: Did they add a new patch for base game (non-EW)?

about 4gb of re-done videos and a couple of new vids

Not true.

This function is new in Enemy Unknown base game Patch 5:

XComGame.XComAlienPod.IsPathVisible

The following functions have modified return values and/or input parameters

XComGame.XComAlienPod.WalkPodToLocation
XComGame.XComAlienPod.GetPodLocation
XComGame.XComAlienPod.UpdatePodLocation
XComGame.XGPlayer.IsEnemyUnitVisibleFromPos
XComGame.XGUnit.IsPathVisible

And there is a bunch minor changes inside other functions in XComGame.upk mostly related to AI movement and AI weapons.

XComStrategyGame and XComShell on the other hand have exactly 0 bytes changed from an UE Explorer object code perspective.

Sorry for being off topic.

Edited by Bertilsson

Question: Did they add a new patch for base game (non-EW)?

about 4gb of re-done videos and a couple of new vids

Not true.

And there is a bunch minor changes inside other functions in XComGame.upk mostly related to AI movement and AI weapons.

XComStrategyGame and XComShell on the other hand have exactly 0 bytes changed from an UE Explorer object code perspective.

That's not off-topic, that's a clarification of something that may not actually be different between EU and EW. On the other hand, the change was made in the most recent EU patch, which might as well be set alongside the release of EW for all the mod advancement I noticed going on (which was understandable, since any changes anybody made in that time would just be more time spent porting them once EW was released. Or, y'know, I just totally missed any advancements that were made.)

Regardless, it's useful knowledge to have that people may not have known was updated, so I'll allow it. Y'know, for what my opinion is worth. xD

Satoron, one thing I noticed about your fix is that it doesn't allow for weapon-specific elements on the armors. For example the shoulder pad types you get when you use a shotgun.

Yes I know, it is very limited in what it can do and is by all definitions a makeshift fix, however I disliked the sleeveless armors terribly and am finding every drawback to the fix to be acceptable compared to my soldiers trying to impress the aliens with their muscular gene-mod biceps. One day there may be a more comprehensive fix, we may even get mod tools! *Knock on wood.* But until that day we'll have to make due with compromise.

I for one am very happy with what Firaxis has done for us modders in this latest update. I feel like they didn't expect their fans to want to mod it as much as we do and now they're being reactive and helping us along. Of course I don't watch/read the news so I'm not sure how strong of a group the modding community was pre-release.

I also wouldn't have as awesome a game without the amazing work of Amineri, Drakous, and the rest of this impressively strong community. Without them the game would have lost replay-value for me a long time ago.

Anyways, I've tried a few other ideas with my fix like I didn't like the shear size of the male carapace armor I had to use in place of the gene-mod carapace in my fix, so I tried having my soldier "wear" psi armor in the carapace armor slot so I could fit another armor over it using the gene-mod deco options, but the pawn things must have game data linked to it cause when I did that there must have been a disconnect between the armor item they had in their inventory and the pawn armor I told the game they were wearing cause my guys would die as soon as they were supposed to be merrily skipping off the skyranger >_< So that was a bust and I'm compromising. =)

Disabled EW phoning home through hosts. No freezes this time. Seems, previous freezes were related to Steam auto-update problems and it was just a coincidence. Yesterday many peoples on Steam and 2K forums reported game freeze/crash too, seems it's Steam-related issue. Hope it will be fixed soon.

I completely recognize all of these functions -- they are all related to how pods move before being activated. In other words, this is primarily about trying to fix the bad teleporting issues. It's the same set of functions I looked over carefully when trying to come up with my unofficial fix. The function I ended up changing was XComGame.XComAlienPod.WalkPodToLocation.

I have noticed in my playthroughs that aliens are still allowed to teleport over parts of their paths that are not visible to the player. In particular an activated Muton Elite ran through a UFO door but did not open it because the alien was not visible at the time (this was on the Overseer mission).

This does speed up the alien turn but results in the aliens generating fewer audible clues, as well as not leaving evidence of their travel (no open doors, broken windows, etc). Players of Long War will get the difference :)

Disabled EW phoning home through hosts. No freezes this time. Seems, previous freezes were related to Steam auto-update problems and it was just a coincidence. Yesterday many peoples on Steam and 2K forums reported game freeze/crash too, seems it's Steam-related issue. Hope it will be fixed soon.

Can you tell us how you did that? I would like to make some modifications to the Satellite-related elements.