4 years away... What did I miss?

SandMouseAnarchy

In November 2019 the developers made some changes to the .esl format so make sure to update your game before you install new mods.

Welcome Back Sandmouse!

Aye, there's been a lot of improvements and stuff made, while you were gone.

Some of the really cool mods right off the top of my head are made by Neheer, and Tooun (tho Tooun shares most of His/Her (sorry, most peeps say they are a "He", but not taking chances! LOL) stuff via Patreon, but they have a few really good ones here on nexus. Neheer has one of the only semi-functional dual wield pistol mods for the game!

In reference to what Larannkiar mentioned. Yes, there was a big game update in November 19, and then again, in December of that year. You will NEED this

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497

to make older versions of mods work with the most recent game, and for older versions of the game to work with mods released after the updated CK.

Esl/Esp/Esm based mods, I mean.

That update, changed a few things. Most notably, bypassing the 255 mod hard limit.

We now have .esl flagged .esp files. They are load order manageable like .esp files, but count into the super high .esl entry count instead.

NMM went the way of the Do-Do Bird. And older versions of it aren't compatible with Nexus anymore, after Nexus changed some of the site protocols for newer, updated ones. Vortex is now the current Nexus mod manager. There's an entire section of the forums dedicated just to vortex, if you try it out and have any transitioning questions/problems.

In November 2019 the developers made some changes to the .esl format so make sure to update your game before you install new mods.

In reference to what Larannkiar mentioned. Yes, there was a big game update in November 19, and then again, in December of that year. You will NEED this

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497

to make older versions of mods work with the most recent game, and for older versions of the game to work with mods released after the updated CK.

I personally don't have that mod but the author stated "This F4SE plugin does what it advertises it does, which is allow older game exe versions to load plugins with the newer header version. However if those plugins are using FormIDs in the range of 0x001 - 0x7FF, and those records are not intended to be hardcoded overrides, then they will malfunction."

The Creation Kit automatically creates new forms with FormIDs in the range of 0x001 - 0x7FF so this mod can't make all newer mods compatible with an old .exe, only the ones that are strictly using the old 0x800 - 0xFFF range (which most of the time requires the author to manually renumber the FormIDs before release). It's also worth mentioning that Papyrus scripts may contain hardcoded FormIDs which would be almost impossible to be patched with an F4SE plugin.

Edited by LarannKiar

:ohmy:

I didn't know that about the formID's!

This makes the 3rd time tonight, Thanks very much for that information, LarannKiar! :thumbsup:

Eh... I should have specified that the mod I linked was for .esp .esl .esm mods only. :wallbash:

Thanks again, correction very much appreciated there!