Legal reprocussions behind reporpusing dialogue from past fallout games

Haukaido

I'm currently working on a mini dlc mod that reintroduces the enclave as a side faction. I'm using XDI to gain more control over the main character dialogue since he'll be silent. My problem is, I want to add professional voice acting into my npcs and I wondered if it's ok if I use voiceovers from past fallout games that I download from youtube. I won't be using the original files.

Also, I'm extending my luck here, what about Fo76 voiceovers?

Beth strictly forbids use of assets from one game, in another game. Even if they are both Beth games...... I don't think where you source the clips from is really relevant. If they are game assets..... Beth likely doesn't want you using them in a different game.

Beth strictly forbids use of assets from one game, in another game. Even if they are both Beth games...... I don't think where you source the clips from is really relevant. If they are game assets..... Beth likely doesn't want you using them in a different game.

What a shame, I guess this also includes Fallout 1/2 and BoS?

Using assets that you don't own in a way their owner forbids is never a good idea. Better find a voice actor willing to redub the thing for you. I wouldn't dare to approach FO 76 voice files, since FO76 uses currently active voice actors. That's pretty illegal to use without permission and someone might notice.

Edited by Morgosus

I doubt there will be much in the way of actual legal repercussions, but you might get blackballed by Bethesda in some potentially worse way down the line if you disregard their stated guidelines. :/

As well, as if they, or another user on here reports the mod for use of assets. Assuming that you post the mod here on nexus.

If the assets really are from the other games (yes, that includes recordings of those lines. 2nd hand reproduction still counts. The same way that it would if it was music.)

At the very best, your mod would be removed from the site. And you would receive a warning.

At worst, your mod is removed from the site, and you are banned. With the option to appeal, and prove your case, After the ban, via email.

Sorry to have to add to the bad news :sad:

While it would be entirely awesome to have it voice lined. There's still ways around it tho. That have so far, been proven in some of the remakes. Like the Fallout New Vegas remakes.

So far, they've been allowed, by using robovoice style audio delivery of the lines.

Or, simply just subtitle the lines.

On the other hand, the Fallout 4 New Vegas project is indication that there is wiggle room (arguably huge).

I believe it all comes down to framing, packaging, hype and how effectively you can get key people on board and excited. (Key people not necessarily being Beth themselves, if Beth see their mavens exhilarated about something they might be hesitant to lay down the law).

But that stuff is so delicate and uncertain it becomes a gamble.

Lifting any assets from previous games is a no-no. If you look at something like Skyblivion you'll see they're having to recreate almost all the assets. While this is partly to make the game look stunning in the Skyrim engine, it's also to avoid any hassle from Bethesda. You could even have a takedown request by the voice actor themselves, especially if you start splicing lines to make them say something inappropriate.

It might be worth looking at something like xVASynth 2 ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49340 ) and see if there's anyway to recreate your own.

Good thing I asked, I just wanted to make my job a little bit easier.

So far, they've been allowed, by using robovoice style audio delivery of the lines. While it would be entirely awesome to have it voice lined. There's still ways around it tho. That have so far, been proven in some of the remakes. Like the Fallout New Vegas remakes.

Or, simply just subtitle the lines.

I don't know how Fo4NV team managed to recreate some authentic voice lines, I assume they rallied some professional voice actors. That's not something I could do.

It might be worth looking at something like xVASynth 2 ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49340 ) and see if there's anyway to recreate your own.

Yes, this was actually my first plan before making this post. It seems there's no way around this, I will have to repurpose a bunch of Fo4 voice lines in addition to using xVASynth. I do study phonetics and discourse so learning this tool would be very beneficial. However, a task that would've taken me weeks, would take months now.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Haukaido