Backup Mods?

Valykry

It's finally happened that i've broken my game (Fallout 4) with mods, either by adding or improperly removing.

Despite the current broken state (Sound plays in the opening sequences (The "Special" videos), but is absolutely silent from the point it reaches the main menu) I'd like to preserve my current mod list. I have reason to believe the silence is due to one of the many mods I've removed, possibly leaving a trace of itself, or is an effect of me having uninstalled ALL of them, and re-added the ones I want to keep one by one, paying extra close attention to which mod relies on what rather than the jumbled mess it once was.

Anyway, Is there a way to backup the current installed mods (Both Nexus and otherwise), their load order, Rules, etc, repair Fallout 4, then reinstall the current mods?

I have the idea that I can open the mod staging folder, copy everything, wipe/repair fallout, then past the contents of the staging folder back, but i'd rather not try it without confirmation.

You could probably use the "Purge" option to remove all current mods, then clear your game directory of any extraneous files, repair the game to get it working again and then re-deploy your mods.

If you have mods from Bethesda.net, Pickysaurus has a Vortex extension that can import the mods from Bethesda.net and allow Vortex to manage them.

The 'purge' option will disable all mods managed by Vortex, which will leave you free to refresh the game.

The purge option UI is a little confusing, as soon as you click on purge you get a notification to 'deploy' - which you don't want to do if you want to keep the 'purged state'. Only deploy after reinstalling the game and you want your mods back.

Don't mess with the staging folder, if in doubt about a mod un/reinstall it from Vortex.

diziet