Fallout 4 fps issues

Purify111

Hey,

For lack of better options/knowledge I would suggest that you backup all the ini files in your Fallout 4 Documents folder, delete the existing files and let the game generate new ones. Alternatively set the iPresentInterval=0 in each .ini file and then set each file to Read Only.

Actually it might be best the regenerate the files first then use the following step.

PS. Regarding the card detection problem, you might need to create and configure a profile for the game manually using your driver software.

I deleted them and the game started windowed. I closed it, set iPresentInterval=0,made the files read only and started the game launcher. It gave me the message for not detecting my video card and made all video options to low. So far so good. On the main menu of the game from 700+ it dropped to 3 frames per second.I after that loaded the save and right now it's again sporatic varying between 15 and 35 maximum. Sometimes going even lower. I really have no idea what's going on... I don't know if it's worth a shot to try and start a new game. If this issue persists it's without a doubt something from the game but if it doesn't then the save might be corrupt or something. It would be a shame though.. I gave a lot of hours in this playthrough and i enjoyed it a lot..I have never actually finished the game. This is my first and only playthrough.

Do you know how i can configure this profile?If you mean with AMD Adrenaline,it has the option to launch any game with different of the AMD settings so that's not a problem really.

Yeah, if the card is newer than what the game has info for, it won't identify it.....

What background processes are running? (Task manager, startup tab.)

In the background tasks from AMD,Antimalware Service Executable,Application Frame Host,COM Surrogate,CTF loader,Disk soft bus services,host process for windows lite,Microstoft Office,one drive,Text input,Microstoft Windows Search Indexer,MoUSO Core Worker Process,News and interest,Phone link,Photos,a few Radeon settings tasks,Realtek Runtime Broker,Search,Spooler subsystem app,start,system 35,System guard monitor,usermode font driver host,video application and a few more windows background tasks. The only thing i keep open is edge so that i can give feedback on what's going on with the game. The way it is it's very difficult to play either way..

Btw New game doesn't help. Still runs badly...

Edited by Purify111

I don't have any experience with AMD software, but if it's similar in functionality to Nvidia CP you should be able to set a profile for any game or program. In NVCP you just direct it to the games .exe and set applicable options. I'm not positive but I've read reports that it might work to force detect the card. You should be able to force some settings or let them be controlled by the application. Trying both might be worthwhile.

Something HeyYou brought up which is probably vitally important, is whether this is normal behaviour in other games. I just didn't think to ask.

Here is some info for your settings with that card, Purify. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-012

I was reading through it, and it's got a few mentions there, that might also be helpful, such as tuning your card to the game.

I'm also going to mention that you don't want this game running past 90 FPS. Character and NPC movement are keyed to framerate. So if you're hitting higher than that, you could experience some things that aren't good. Such as really choppy looking movements, lightning fast movements, issues with some of the animations (especially sprinting), etc.

Surg - Well... I mean... so far you have mentioned most of everything that has popped into my head, as well as a few that haven't. And you're keeping up with the topic really well. So yeah, it's good to see you in the forums, hope that you stick around for a while :)

I guess that at least for now other than trying various methods of tuning the game profile i don't see what else i can do... I forced the GPU through the graphics setting of windows 10 and the game still keeps low fps.. I also installed another game and it runs perfectly so it has to be something from F4. I know i don't need the frames per second to be too high but i don't want it to be choppy or just plain unplayable at moments either. I will try to at least get it back to around 20 fps or so and try to play it that way for now.Thank you guys a lot...

This is bothering me way more than it probably should. I found this on the Bethesda forum, it states more explicitly what needs to be configured in the driver software for both Nvidia/AMD. Irrespective of what the issue turns out to be, I'd still recommend locking the ini files to Read-only. I didn't have a problem with card recognition myself but vague recall having similar problems with the ini files and so mine are also locked.

https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/57334

Hope you get it sorted. I know how unpleasant nauseating it is to play at <60 especially when your hardware can do better.

Edited by surg23

This is bothering me way more than it probably should. I found this on the Bethesda forum, it states more explicitly what needs to be configured in the driver software for both Nvidia/AMD. Irrespective of what the issue turns out to be, I'd still recommend locking the ini files to Read-only. I didn't have a problem with card recognition myself but vague recall having similar problems with the ini files and so mine are also locked.

https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/57334

Hope you get it sorted. I know how unpleasant nauseating it is to play at <60 especially when your hardware can do better.

Thanks. What i get from this article is basically to choose which GPU to associate with the game which is what i already have done from the Windows Display settings. I even chose the Performance option for it,not the Power Saving. I also tweaked the power options and the three .ini files are marked as read only and still to no effect.I might actually try to contact Bethesda. I don't know what else to do... It's not just the the fact that the game plays under 60 frames per second man. I would be satisfied even for 30 but at least to be consistent...

Edited by Purify111

Do a clean uninstall of the game. Run the uninstaller, delete the install folder, the folder in my games, and the folder in \username\appdata. (purge all your mods first, if you have any installed.) Might even wanna use Revo Uninstaller portable for the uninstall. It finds leftover files/folders/registry settings the installer will generally miss. Once that is done, restart your computer. Reinstall the game, and see how JUST the game itself runs. (you can aso grab the official DLC.....) See what ya get.

Do a clean uninstall of the game. Run the uninstaller, delete the install folder, the folder in my games, and the folder in \username\appdata. (purge all your mods first, if you have any installed.) Might even wanna use Revo Uninstaller portable for the uninstall. It finds leftover files/folders/registry settings the installer will generally miss. Once that is done, restart your computer. Reinstall the game, and see how JUST the game itself runs. (you can aso grab the official DLC.....) See what ya get.

It's still a no go. I reinstalled the game and the AMD driver(did a clean reinstall) and it's still the same. I tried uncapping the frames and it still runs very poorly...

I watched a video where someone said about MSI Afterburner monitoring your frametime line.And if the graph is not keeping a straight line,then there is something up with the GPU. I installed Afterburner and that's exactly what happened when i open Fallout 4 and one other game. So it has to be the GPU for sure. I haven't touched the performance part of the driver. I've heard AMD underclocks it's GPU's and it's recommended to boost them a little but i don't particullary understand from overclocking and i don't want to torture my graphics card. The only thing i changed was the fan tuning and now they turn on a bit earlier. I'm afraid i also don't entirely understand the concept of throttling which is one of the things that worry me about this whole scenario.. The power department shouldn't be an issue though. I've already set it to Performance mode..