F4SE error message Couldn't read arguements

YourMuse

I assume a lot of this conversation is based on this line:

Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:37:17 GMT - info: [script-extender-error-check] Failed to check for script extender errors ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat 'C:\Users\owner\Documents\My Games\Fallout 4\F4SE\f4se.log'

This is not a warning you should be concerned about, it simply means that the log for F4SE didn't exist when Vortex tried to check it for errors. This will have no impact on the game itself.

I haven't tried that, I will do that and see if it resolves the issue with Vortex.

I have been able to launch the game with the Fallout 4 launcher thru vortex without the F4SE and the mods not requiring it work.

Ill try it and let ya know if it worked.

Thanks.

I assume a lot of this conversation is based on this line:

Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:37:17 GMT - info: [script-extender-error-check] Failed to check for script extender errors ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat 'C:\Users\owner\Documents\My Games\Fallout 4\F4SE\f4se.log'

This is not a warning you should be concerned about, it simply means that the log for F4SE didn't exist when Vortex tried to check it for errors. This will have no impact on the game itself.

I tried what you said, and launched F4SE as administrator, and the game started up, with vortex closed.

I then tried to launch with the script extender Icon link within vortex and it says the same thing, couldn't read arguements.

So I then created a short cut to desktop for F4SE and launched the game with vortex open and it launched just fine.

So what is the deal with vortex, why is it giving me this message when there is nothing wrong with the F4SE program itself?

It worked fine one day, then next day....this. I changed nothing in it except the link for the appdata downloads that is suppose to move the downloads location to the new folder as instructed by vortex, and the game works fine launching with the Fallout 4 launcher and the F4SE launcher with vortex open or shut.

Does this have anything to do with vortex....no clue, if the game will use the script extender and deploy the mods and that works, then for me it's a vortex problem, nothing to do with anything Ive done according to Vortex instructions.

I will keep you posted if the mods work within the game launching it with the shortcut instead and with vortex open and see if that works.

Otherwise, I have no clue how to fix this problem for vortex to launch it thru it.

If you're launching anything as admin you're going to have a bad time.

Steam, Fallout 4, F4SE and Vortex all have no need to be run as admin.

It's quite possible in doing so you've locked some files under an admin account and the non-admin apps no longer have permission to read/write to them.

Also - your dashboard shortcut to F4SE probably has a bad path.

Click the three dots on it and select Edit.

The path should point to the game directory and where he F4SE executable is, like common\Fallout 4\f4se_loader.exe..

On the same drop down, select "set as primary".

Edited by rmm200

If you're launching anything as admin you're going to have a bad time.

Steam, Fallout 4, F4SE and Vortex all have no need to be run as admin.

It's quite possible in doing so you've locked some files under an admin account and the non-admin apps no longer have permission to read/write to them.

Well, I didn't change anything with vortex when I started getting that error 'couldn't read arguements'.

I simply tried to launch it the way I did before thru vortex.

The only change I made was not related to F4SE in vortex appdata downloads location which vortex clearly gives instructions on how to do that.

With that being said, I did launch F4SE as an administrator because in Windows 10 you are not an administrator and it asks anyway if that is ok to install or any other program which gives you administraot rights as that is how it's set up-.

Anyway, it worked, I created a short cut to F4SE on my desktop, keeping vortex open and the mods work so I suppose it's problem solved as I can now use the ESL mods.

But even after I did this, vortex still gives me the same error as before, so not sure how to fix this vortex problem launching with F4SE that showed up missing file, which I never did anything to effect this in vortex to begin with.

I just searched for resolutions with this error, and no one has a solution to fix it except to tell me I installed it wrong when I installed according to vortex instructions, thru vortex and then manually according to vortex, so I've tried everything to resolve the issue with vortex launching with the launcher that worked before then suddenly didn't.

The game works fine this way so it's a workaround the problem error that came up now.

thanks for all your input, but the one who suggested I try launching the game with F4SE within the folder worked and so if anyone has a solution to fix vortex error 'couldn't read arguements', Im all in on that...

Also - your dashboard shortcut to F4SE probably has a bad path.

Click the three dots on it and select Edit.

The path should point to the game directory and where he F4SE executable is, like common\Fallout 4\f4se_loader.exe..

On the same drop down, select "set as primary".

Yes, it is pointed at the correct file, I set it as primary and tried what you said and still get this error.

Im pretty sure this is something to do with vortex because I never changed the launch path or anything to do with the game except the appdata file, and then got that erro.

Thanks for the suggestion and all, I already tried this after uninstalling and reinstalling both ways.

Im guessing it's vortex and not anything I did

Try starting the game directly from the f4se_loader executable. (just double click on it. make sure steam is already running in the background though.) If that works, just make a shortcut to that file on your desktop.

Thanks, that is what I did...it worked, the game runs fine and the mods work too. I just think it's a vortex thing, so thank you for the suggestion. I have no problem launching it this way if it works the same as if I launched it in vortex and it does.

I still claim from your description, your dashboard shortcut is fubar even if it looks right.

Humor me - select the edit option, then the browse button. Navigate to the F4SE executable and select it.

Now try.

Vortex does not do anything with these dashboard shortcuts; it is literally the same as a shortcut you put on the desktop.