Starship Troopers

Dark0ne

Do you want to know more? Take part in the cult-classic universe of Starship Troopers from the 1997 film of the same name. The human race finds themselves in a war with an arachnid enemy that largely outnumber them.

I've been following this game since I saw an article on it in PC Gamer over a year ago. It claimed to be able to simulate the scene in Starship Troopers where they're defending the outpost from the huge arachnid swarm towards the end...

... well I've just uploaded the trailer for the game for the site and it's not exactly like the movie scene, but it's definately similar and still shows about 200 arachnids on the screen at once. Why bother taking on 2 enemies at a time like in HL2 and Morrowind when you can grab your assault rifle and start shouting "Yeah? You like that? Huh? You want some more? Uh huh" in true Starship Troopers style?

There seem to be a few things lacking, bland surroundings for example and what looks like stupid AI (allies not firing their guns?), but the developers have 4 months according to their projected release date to get a few more extras into the game.

I recommend people go check out the trailer and see what you think. It's definately got me excited.

I saw the game first on the 3dGamer's site, and was a very happy bunny - I loved the film simply for its action - I gather the book is unbelievably better but i've never read it. Anyway, after watching the trailer i do have a couple of worries. While i love the idea of huge battles with arachnids (and what gamer wouldn't, really?), i share Buttleshrapenl's fears. The tanker fight did look pathetically easy, but i guess that can be ironed out in testing a nd balancing.

The bigger worry is that the game will simply be a case of "Go here, discover yourself hopelessly outnumbered, blast them all to hell until evac, rinse and repeat." This game has the potential to be brilliant, i just hope that the developer (i forget who and am too lazy to go and look for it) has the ability and impetus to realise it.