What is the best way to clean out all mods?

tomanytomorrows

Thank you to all of you. :yes:

I hope you were able to solve your problem.

Unfortunately I have made a bigger hash of it. I uninstalled FO4 and deleted any directories left over and know the Vortex mod manger are grayed out in FO4. Waiting to see if Vortex help can solve the problem. Thank you.

Edited by tomanytomorrows

Try using Mod Organizer 2 for your Mod Manager.

The whole point of a Virtual File Manager is that you NEVER touch the original game files - so you should never have to delete/reinstall the base game (ever). Nothing ever gets installed there - period.

In other words, you should never, ever need to delete/reinstall Fallout 4.

The only time I "violate" that rule is with Fallout HD Overhaul. That recompiles the original Texture.BA2 files with custom textures - so there is no point in keeping both on the same drive. I archive the originals (to a backup drive) and let Fallout HD Overhaul overwrite them.

It takes literally less than a minute to revert that process if I ever need to get back to a completely pristine DATA directory.

If you delete the game folders/subfolders without first "purging" the mods with Vortex, then Vortex's records will show the mods as still being installed even though the links are gone.

Often you can fix this just by hitting the "purge" button and Vortex will then figure out that the links are missing.

Thank you to all of you. :yes:

I hope you were able to solve your problem.

Did u try to reinstall Vortex?

Next on the list, sadly.

If you delete the game folders/subfolders without first "purging" the mods with Vortex, then Vortex's records will show the mods as still being installed even though the links are gone.

Often you can fix this just by hitting the "purge" button and Vortex will then figure out that the links are missing.

Tried that. :smile:

Now I am more then confused. FO4 says that BetterSettlementMenuFixer.esl, and others, do not exist but when I checked D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data the file is there. Second I am back to the beginning of this thread Vortex mods are showing no picture in the FO4 mod order list. Mods are so confusing.

Edited by tomanytomorrows