The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth

Dunedain

If the cursor is green when I click and it is behind one or more enemy hordes/battalions, then both Rohirrim archers and normal Rohirrim will charge through the intervening enemy units to move to the new location.

Except they don't. They get stopped far too easily by even single units. It seems that if the initial charge leaves even a single soldier in the unit alive, even at 1hp, the entire attack stops until it's dead.

One thing that the AI could do but doesn't is to have Rohirrim Archers move away from enemy that attemot to melee them although it would probably need to be a special order (like guard is now). At the moment they will shoot at enemey that are closing to melee them and stand when the enemey gets into melee with them.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Leaving that feature out is just lazy programming that there is no excuse for.

The only problem I had as far as AI was concerned was right at the end with the Assault on the Black Gate..

**MARGINAL SPOILER COMING UP**

..when the Elephants came (yes, I know, they're not elephants) I was managing my three camps. I go to check how my army is doing and they've all been trampled. All my heroes except Legolas and Gandalf were dead since they all decided taking them on head-on would be the best idea.

As far as the cavalry is concerned I didn't have much problem. I told them to run to somewhere behind the orcs and they'll just plough through the ranks to get to the location, unless of course there's too many orcs and then their charge is stopped. You can't just keep running through the ranks without being slowed down, and you've got to have atleast 2 squads of cavalry to make a dent.

It's by no means a deep game, but it is fun.

Archived