How to lower my graphics settings for a system with low graphics card

I have a low end graphics card but decent processor (i7) and decent RAM (16GB) on a SSD.

my graphics card is ancient however

Usually, this combo works ok even though I see little if any difference with my graphics card enabled or disabled.

I do get fps hits though and on extreme occasions my fps drops down to 1 fps and i just have to stop for a few seconds to let the system catch up (or maybe my computer is doing something in the background robbing me of system resources, because after a couple seconds of waiting things are back to normal)

How to best lower my settings to "help" the computer deliver smooth gameplay with my rig?

There are mods that help with performance, but you didn't mention if you have any installed.

Check the Nexus FO4 mod category "Performance":

- BethINI at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

- Super Low End GPU ini files at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

Also for example, disable the high res texture DLC and install something like Vivid Fallout - All in One at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) instead.

There are mods that help with performance, but you didn't mention if you have any installed.

- Super Low End GPU ini files at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

Also for example, disable the high res texture DLC and install something like Vivid Fallout - All in One at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) instead.

Thank you for your informative response.

I do not have any of those installed. but i will now :)

I tried vivid fallout before but the radtsorms could not be tunred off even with the "no rad storms" mod when i had visit weathers.

I belive the existance of radstorms 200 yrs after anuclear war is just too crazy so I dont want them.

Plus my settlers keep walking aroind in them even after I installed the upgraded AI that was suppsoed to fix that.

Since i have no way of healing settlers rads that concerned me.

So I am running the "nice weather only" mod right now but of course that also reduces realism.

I do not have any of those installed. but i will now :smile:

I tried vivid fallout before but the radtsorms could not be tunred off even with the "no rad storms" mod when i had visit weathers.

I belive the existance of radstorms 200 yrs after anuclear war is just too crazy so I dont want them.

Plus my settlers keep walking aroind in them even after I installed the upgraded AI that was suppsoed to fix that.

So I am running the "nice weather only" mod right now but of course that also reduces realism.

Do settlers even take radiation damage from rad storms??? I don't think I have ever lost a settler to radiation.....

I do not have any of those installed. but i will now :smile:

Do settlers even take radiation damage from rad storms??? I don't think I have ever lost a settler to radiation.....

There are youtubers that claim to have settlers die from plaving them too close to the radioactive barrels in starlight inn...

So I am thinking yes.

Also a modder I followed who added "Aquaboy" to all NPCs so your companions would not die if they try to follow you through water while you cross a bridge.

Do NPCs have heal rates at all for rads?

Player doesnt and needs meds, but the game wont let me use meds on the NPCs.

Edited by 363rdChemicalCompany

Settlers in the vanilla game are protected so they can be killed only by the player. They can take all kinds of damage though because they're not invulnerable.

Edited by LarannKiar