Vortex got reset after computer restart - Please help!

Mrandom
Go to solution Solved by Mrandom,

Don't know what happened. All my Vortex profiles and mod-tracking records are gone. I'm trying to keep composure so pardon my language.

I restarted my computer today and opened Vortex. Vortex is complaining about invalid application state and invalid profile. I chose Ignore, then Vortex opens, my managed game Skyrim SE is gone. I chose to let it manage Skyrim again. It asks for my download folder and staging folder, I managed to fix it. I am 100% sure those are the correct folders because the files are all in them.

Then Vortex says the staging folder was modified OUTSIDE of Vortex. Fine, I checked the list of "Added" mods in the prompt, they look good, so I clicked "Apply changes".

Now all of the mods are there under Vortex's Mods tab, but they are showing as "never installed". Vortex cannot detect any hard link from them to my Skyrim SE's data folder. All of the mods installed by Vortex are still there in the data folder though.

I spent the entire previous weekend setting up thoses mods. I feel nauseous just thinking about reinstalling them and potentially having to reset everything from ground up, even losing my game progress from the past week.

What should I do now? I am afraid that reinstalling those mods will break my game, but I don't see any good options. I have a Vortex to MO2 migrater but I don't know if I can migrate the Vortex profile in the current state, also I used Vortex because for some reason Nemesis did not work for me on MO2.

Update:

If I open the game using skse_loader, loading a save will result in an error saying a bunch of .esm and .esp missing. F*ck.

Did you upgrade from a super-old build of Vortex to the latest? It seems like there may have been invalid data in the old build which got pruned out in the new one.

I did upgrade from a super-old Vortex before my installation in the previous weekend, but everything was working. I even uninstalled then reinstalled Vortex in a different drive back then to ensure it was a clean slate. I suspect something might have gone wrong there with an windows update that restarted my computer.

Yes it did. It's the second screenshot I attached, I believe.

That's vortex talking about its profiles. I am more concerned about if Windows was whining at logon.

That did not happen. Nexus did log me out though. That could have caused some weirdness reading the profiles.

• Solution

So i ended up spending a few hours yesterday to reinstall Skyrim from a clean state and reinstall every mod. Luckily I had a collection so it was not too bad. The saves were intact, only with a few script-based mods losing their progresses, presumably because they store data in the Data folder (kinda dumb). So it was a very weird situation but it worked out ok so far. I even got a few animations that weren't working before working for absolutely no reason lol.