DH: Lore Invasion

Jamie123

Don't get me wrong, people aren't saying you can't contest what was written in the review. Far from it, think how rubbish the community would be if everyone agreed on all aspects of the games that are reviewed..it would be boring.

As far as the scores go the "Control" aspect may be a little low for what I commented on in the review itself, but I had some real problems in the last game I played before reviewing the game with the tank, which continually refused to move forward and got lodged in the mountainous terrain -- making it extremely annoying to maneuver into a position where I could shoot the annoying scout MAV that was jetting above me where I couldn't hit it. This happened twice.

Apart from a slightly low control score I fail to see a problem -- the game's graphics are not on par with the latest games that are receiving 9's such as Half-Life, BFME and such "graphically modern" games. It wouldn't make sense to give the game a high score in the graphics department just because the game was enjoyabled. That's what the "Gameplay" tab is for..and the score reflects that.

And does Lore have the best graphics? No, it doesnt. But on the other hand doom 3 entertained me for 12 hours, lore has entertained me for a year. Graphics mean nothing, gameplay means everything.

Graphics mean something. I tried to go back to playing StarCraft a few months ago and found myself uninstalling it an hour later because I couldn't understand how "that blue square blob thingy" was a tank. For many people graphics are something in a game, and therefore they're included in our reviews here at Gaming Source. Could you please READ what I have said about the graphics: that they're not Half-Life 2 good looking but it's not detrimental (i.e. IT DOESN'T AFFECT) the fun the player has in the game.

Holy crap! people joined a formus for a review site for the purpose of talking about the review! Holy Crap!!!

Good Golly! People used tactics in a game! This can't be stood for! I might have to sit down! If a scout has some sort of speed advantage over a tank, well, I don't know, this game must suck since a light scout with little armor and weapons is faster than a giant heavily armored tank loaded down with weapons.

The review leaves a lot out. It misses on the comcent and such, which is what the whole game is really about.

You can't deny the play for 30 minutes and have a review in less than 12 hours though. This review should be removed for that reason alone. Perhaps you'd like to set up a real review?

I believe graphics are far too over rated and compairing one game to any other really is just a load of garbage. Windwaker used cell shading, which this is technically better graphics a lot of people say it isn't. Frankly the style fits the game and doesn't take anything away from it. The graphics are wonderful. What more could you want? If you want good graphics and that's all, go play DiVinci's Mona Lisa, its got the best rated graphics of all time.

The tank is supposed to be slow, lumbering and harder to control. It's a giant weapon platform that rolls around on difficult terrain. If you want mobility do NOT take the tank. You're basing the controls on your inability to use the inherint tactics of the weapon you chose. This is not a control issue.

This game is nothing like Mechwarrior. I've played many mechwarrior and battle tech games, you're basing that statement completely on the fact that it has giant robots. Which aren't even really giant robots.

And does Lore have the best graphics? No, it doesnt. But on the other hand doom 3 entertained me for 12 hours, lore has entertained me for a year. Graphics mean nothing, gameplay means everything.

Graphics mean something. I tried to go back to playing StarCraft a few months ago and found myself uninstalling it an hour later because I couldn't understand how "that blue square blob thingy" was a tank. For many people graphics are something in a game, and therefore they're included in our reviews here at Gaming Source.

Yes Graphics are something, sad that its (to alot of people) what makes or breaks he game for them. However ill tell you what, more people are playing older games that have Great communities and great gameplay over games that have superior graphics and mediocre gameplay, example? doom 3, farcry,BFME, C&C G:ZH, T:V, soldner, and if it wasnt for CS, Half-life 2 would be included.

Its sad to see that all these "great" games turn out to be such a let down, but because they have good graphics, but almost no longjevity they get great scores.

Holy crap! people joined a formus for a review site for the purpose of talking about the review! Holy Crap!!!

Good Golly! People used tactics in a game! This can't be stood for! I might have to sit down! If a scout has some sort of speed advantage over a tank, well, I don't know, this game must suck since a light scout with little armor and weapons is faster than a giant heavily armored tank loaded down with weapons.

That's the sort of unfounded, irrelevent crap we don't want.

You can't deny the play for 30 minutes and have a review in less than 12 hours though. This review should be removed for that reason alone. Perhaps you'd like to set up a real review?

I've already queried this with the developers, since it's a pile of crap. Mysteriously when I went into the game to verify my total time played there was a big blank space there -- when I inquired about this a helpful player mentioned the player logging had be turned off over the past week. Seems odd, does it not?

The tank is supposed to be slow, lumbering and harder to control. It's a giant weapon platform that rolls around on difficult terrain. If you want mobility do NOT take the tank. You're basing the controls on your inability to use the inherint tactics of the weapon you chose. This is not a control issue.

If you actually read what I said you'll find I mentioned the tank wouldn't move..AT ALL. It was a control issue.

This game is nothing like Mechwarrior. I've played many mechwarrior and battle tech games, you're basing that statement completely on the fact that it has giant robots. Which aren't even really giant robots.

Uh huh, of course not. You've just got huge mechanised units running around a map shooting other mechanised units in a fight between two sides vying for terroritorial claims. Either you haven't played Battletech or you've got an awful memory.

So what you're telling me is that Half Life 2 is the same as E.T. because it involves huminoid creatures running around a map?

The stat tracking and the server logs are two different items. They can probably tell you how many people have been logging in and playing but the site won't monitor that.

As for irrelivent crap, It was not I who brought up it "odd" that people came to the site when a review was posted. Oddly enough, when someone points out that that was your intent you become deffensive.

"but I had some real problems in the last game I played before reviewing the game with the tank, which continually refused to move forward and got lodged in the mountainous terrain"

This does not say "AT ALL" perhaps if you said what you mean we wouldn't have this problem?

So what you're telling me is that Half Life 2 is the same as E.T. because it involves huminoid creatures running around a map?

Seriously, get some better analogies. If Half-Life 2 involved a little boy on a bike riding across a moonlit nightsky with an alien in the front basket, I sure would.

I've already queried this with the developers, since it's a pile of crap. Mysteriously when I went into the game to verify my total time played there was a big blank space there -- when I inquired about this a helpful player mentioned the player logging had be turned off over the past week. Seems odd, does it not?

If you're gonna imply wrong-doing through turning off stat reporting, at least say what was actually said.

[19:12] <Dark0ne> my profile doesn't tell me how much time I've played =(

[19:13] <esd-MGT> thats because reporting is currently disabled

[19:13] <esd-MGT> we've had so many new players in this week, it got turned off so they didn't have to suffer low "I'm practising" scores

[19:13] <Dark0ne> for all users?

[19:13] <esd-MGT> it's all or nothingh

[19:14] <Dark0ne> right oh

And do you really think we'd turn off reporting so you couldn't check your total time played? I'm sure once one of my american collegues wakes up we can track down the logs that show your playing time.

As for irrelivent crap, It was not I who brought up it "odd" that people came to the site when a review was posted. Oddly enough, when someone points out that that was your intent you become deffensive.

Who was it? Cause it wasn't me :rolleyes:

And do you really think we'd turn off reporting so you couldn't check your total time played? I'm sure once one of my american collegues wakes up we can track down the logs that show your playing time.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I felt it more odd that I'd been told I'd only played for 30 mins, and then told reporting had been turned off.

Seriously, get some better analogies. If Half-Life 2 involved a little boy on a bike riding across a moonlit nightsky with an alien in the front basket, I sure would.

I was refering to a video game not the movie. Should I have said the ALF game? It's still a creature running around a map.

Think about it like this, are you and I the same because we have a nose? Is every creature with a nose the same? No, what makes us the same is our ability to think, feel and reason, among other things. Now, if we do not say everything with a nose is the same, how can we say everything with robots are the same? I would equate the game closer to heavy gear for many reasons. Including the size of the robots (which are not giant robots reaching as high as 40m, they're only a few human heights). The universe for Dark Horizons is far different as well as the backend of the game. The background and set up are also different. The game play is handled differently. The game support is handled differently. The robots are different sizes, controlled differently, operate on different technology, and... well, I think you get it.

As for who dun it, it was one of your moderators. How did you not notice it? Moderators are an extention of the adminitrations powers are they not? Of course if you don't want people to come to your site to read and discuss reviews you can always remove the forums.

Oddly enough not everything is directed at you personally. Some are directed at what others have said.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I felt it more odd that I'd been told I'd only played for 30 mins, and then told reporting had been turned off.

You mean how do we know how long you played for when you don't? Because the game uses an IRC server for lobby operations, and we see everyone that launches into the game when they connect to the lobby. We see when they go into battle, and we see when they come out. The name "Dark0ne" stands out because one of our chat regulars, Tepa, originally registered Dark0ne, so it's probably why you got remembered.

Archived