(QUESTION) Mod Packs and Collections

marckinhos

Nexus has added the "Collections" feature, which is great and saves players a lot of time. But imo there are two major downsides about it:

- a collection must be made inside the Vortex mod manager

- the mods will be individually downloaded in a queue

The question is, can I make a collection for Nexus, like a traditional mods pack, so the players can simply copy/paste the contents all at once, manually, instead of using a mod manager and wait for individual files to download? The mods in the pack will be properly credited of course, with links to both the authors' profiles and mods.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer no.

Longer answer you need permission to redistribute anyone else work on here. (credit and links are not permission).

Sorry miss-remembered.

The answer is essentially just no.

See here

So, for a mod collection uploaded through Vortex you don't need direct permission from mod authors, while for uploading a mod pack you need direct permission?

About copyrighted content, I already have permission for the songs.

It might be easier to get permission from the official game devs/soundtracks copyright holders than getting permission from mod makers here. The modders might not use their contact info any longer, changed e-mail, deleted their profile, might take months to respond, years or not answer to a request at all, some might even not be alive anymore (dark but true).

So, making a mod pack, with many mods, from many different modders and waiting an eternity for permissions, even if properly credited, feels discouraging, to say the least.

Ty for your answer and for the link you shared.

Guest deleted34304850

well, that's how copyright works. its not nexusmods intransigence at play here, it's copyright law.

a question for you, given that there is a method that has proven to work and would enable you to do what you want, why don't you want to use it?

well, that's how copyright works. its not nexusmods intransigence at play here, it's copyright law.

a question for you, given that there is a method that has proven to work and would enable you to do what you want, why don't you want to use it?

Ikr, it's so bureaucratic even if it's not monetized.

To answer your question, it's just for convenience. Many people (like me) don't like to install Vortex just to manage or download mods or collections and would rather install the mods manually. This would also save a lot of time, like for searching for mods, downloading them all, running tools, organizers, managers, etc. It would be all much simpler, just download, copy/paste and it's done. If people wanted to check a specific mod or devs, it' all be in the credits, so they could still like and endorse their works.

Guest deleted34304850

at

To answer your question, it's just for convenience. Many people (like me) don't like to install Vortex just to manage or download mods or collections and would rather install the mods manually. This would also save a lot of time, like for searching for mods, downloading them all, running tools, organizers, managers, etc. It would be all much simpler, just download, copy/paste and it's done. If people wanted to check a specific mod or devs, it' all be in the credits, so they could still like and endorse their works.

its not bureaucratic, its the law. you may want to familiarise yourself with it.

But back to your collection. You don't want to use vortex - that's fine - but - obviously anyone who used this mythical collection that apparently "just works" would need to do it outside of vortex too, right?

so if i wanted to use this collection of yours on my game, which is managed by vortex, i'd have to compromise my game which is being maintained by my mod manager because you don't want to use it? is that correct too?

also, where are all these mods that are part of your collection from? have you made a local copy and you would push that out? what happens when the mods in your collection get updated? would you create a new version of your collection with the updates? and, again, this is important - where would it be downloaded from? your discord perhaps? a google drive?

doesn't seem to be a winner to me at this point. can you explain as to why your idea is better and how you do not violate copyright law and completely screw over mod authors who would be on the hook if they updated their mod and someone like me just ran your whack collection that may be months or years out of date?

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

at

its not bureaucratic, its the law. you may want to familiarise yourself with it.

But back to your collection. You don't want to use vortex - that's fine - but - obviously anyone who used this mythical collection that apparently "just works" would need to do it outside of vortex too, right?

so if i wanted to use this collection of yours on my game, which is managed by vortex, i'd have to compromise my game which is being maintained by my mod manager because you don't want to use it? is that correct too?

also, where are all these mods that are part of your collection from? have you made a local copy and you would push that out? what happens when the mods in your collection get updated? would you create a new version of your collection with the updates? and, again, this is important - where would it be downloaded from? your discord perhaps? a google drive?

doesn't seem to be a winner to me at this point. can you explain as to why your idea is better and how you do not violate copyright law and completely screw over mod authors who would be on the hook if they updated their mod and someone like me just ran your whack collection that may be months or years out of date?

Although it's the law, the rules, you can't say it's not bureaucratic, it is, like everything else, it was just an observation.

As I said, it's for convenience, to manually install the mods pack, so yes, no Vortex or any other mod manager needed.

The mods here in Nexus don't necessarily need Vortex/managers to be downloaded or installed, the same would be the case with this mods pack.

"Compromise your game"? So everyone who installs mods manually are compromising their games just because they don't use a manager? If it's a mod intended for manual installation, so the user must know the basics on how to install/organize the mod manually. The mod would have simple install instructions as usual.

About mods updates, if a mod in the mods pack gets updated the mods pack would still work, no problem, the user would just run the game with an outdated mod. If the user wants that mod updated, then he/she would simply download it and overwrite the files in the pack.

I'm not saying my idea is better, just that it's more convenient for me and many others who don't like to use mod managers or who don't wanna pay for premium subscriptions for a more automated install of their collections.

It's non profitable in any way, I wouldn't earn anything from this, it's a free mods pack. Nexus that earns from website traffic, subscriptions, etc and the mod authors who eventually earn donations for their works. The mod authors would have their credits properly given, including links to their profiles and mod pages, so there's no " completely screw over mod authors" here OK. Users can still check their works and endorse them.

It's supposed to be like a collection, but with a manual installation, what's the big deal about it?

where are the mods coming from? where would your collection be stored?

I already answered that:

"The mods here in Nexus don't necessarily need Vortex/managers to be downloaded or installed, the same would be the case with this mods pack."