(QUESTION) Mod Packs and Collections

marckinhos

There's no speed benefit from not having duplicate files in different mods unless you are just talking about the download speed and that would be a negligible benefit. There would be a small benefit in file storage size but unless you have multiple redundant large graphics enhancers it would also be a minor concern.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no speed benefit from not having duplicate files in different mods unless you are just talking about the download speed and that would be a negligible benefit. There would be a small benefit in file storage size but unless you have multiple redundant large graphics enhancers it would also be a minor concern.

I think its more about the 'one click download' than it is about download speed.....

where are the mods coming from? where would your collection be stored?

I already answered that:

"The mods here in Nexus don't necessarily need Vortex/managers to be downloaded or installed, the same would be the case with this mods pack."

The only way to do that, would be if you had all of the mods, their assets, etc, archive in some fashion, such that you would have ONE truly huge download. If you don't have permission from each and every mod author in that 'mod pack', you would be violating copyright... Nexus won't allow you to upload that here.

Yes, it'd be like one huge file, or zipped files for the pack. There are huge mods in Nexus, the size of DLCs or expansions, stored in Nexus, couldn't a mods pack work the same way?

About copyrights, there would be no copyright violation, but maybe some violation of Nexus rules, that's why I'm asking for clarification in the forums. The articles in Nexus explain a lot, but still I'd like to know about this more clearly you know. Although they say collections and packs are different, in essence they're the same, there are just different rules applied for each case.

Erm, yes, there would. You would be taking someone elses work, and distributing it. If you didn't have permission for EVER mod in your pack, that IS a violation of copyright. No getting around that. File size is irrelevant.

With permissions granted there'd be no copyright violations. Idk about violating the rules of Nexus though, that's why I'm asking here, if it's possible or not to upload a mods pack, instead of a collection.

Correct. If you had permission for every mod in the mod pack. Don't expect that to happen though. Fair few mod authors are opted in to donation points, which is based on the number of downloads they get. If YOU are distributing their mod, they don't get those downloads.... Even those that aren't opted in, a significant percentage of them still remember all the negative connotations of 'mod packs'.... and want no part of them.

Better plan would be to just spring for one month of premium, and then download the collection you want via vortex.

I see, I know some modders didn't like the idea of collections either, in the beginning, and I believe some even removed their mods. Some don't bother with donation points, or rely mostly on other platforms to get their donations, others don't care much about it at all.

So, back to the initial question, is it possible to add mods packs here, or is it against the rules?

When you have 300+ mods i.e. for Skyrim I'd say it'd be beneficial indeed to remove duplicates. As "HeyYou" mentioned, a one click download makes things a lot faster and I don't see it as negligible.

So, back to the initial question, is it possible to add mods packs here, or is it against the rules?

It's against the rules, the rules you were given a link to, even if you do have permission for every single mod there is still this....

• Compilations must provide functionality beyond repackaging. In other words, an acceptable compilation must be "more than the sum of its parts".

It's against the rules, the rules you were given a link to, even if you do have permission for every single mod there is still this....

• Compilations must provide functionality beyond repackaging. In other words, an acceptable compilation must be "more than the sum of its parts".

The rules in the file submission and collection guidelines are for collections "which is ultimately only a list referencing various mods" but I'm asking about a mod pack, which would have many mods in a single upload, with permissions and credits.

It's still not 100% clear to me these specific rules regarding mod packs.

Edit: nevermind, I just saw your quote regarding compilations, so no repackaging means no mod packs allowed, right?

Edited by marckinhos

What would be an "acceptable compilation", or mod pack then?

For example, if I add a UI mod, a texture mod, a character mod and add a soundtrack to the mix, or add a custom gear, perk, dialogue, or etc to the pack, is it acceptable then?

For example, if I add a UI mod, a texture mod, a character mod and add a soundtrack to the mix, or add a custom gear, perk, dialogue, or etc to the pack, is it acceptable then?

I think the major problem folks have with it, is the distribution method, as I described above. No way you are going to get around that. Authors WANT folks to visit their mod page, download/endorse their mod from there. A mod pack, as you want to implement, deprives them of all of that.

Guest deleted34304850

so, you gather all the mods for your collection from nexusmods, and presumably they all go into a single directory. you zip that up, and store it where? a google drive? a discord link? "the cloud"?

and, as i already asked - if one of those mods is updated, your collection is instantly out of date. how do you cater for that?

you've not really given any answers other than you don't want to use vortex, which, as a reason to do all this is, well, s#*!, really.

The pack would be stored in Nexus, like other DLC-sized mods are.

I already answered you about updates. It's a manual installation pack, it's for the user to manually install the pack and to eventually update a mod.

I've already explained why and although you have your opinions and you think it's s*lly, I think differently and I think it's useful.

The main reason, again, is for convenience and to facilitate installations especially for those who prefer to install mods manually. Collections works for Vortex only and works best and more automated for premium users only. Packs with manual installation would help in this regard.

There would be no need for 3rd party mod managers.

Users would download the whole pack directly.

For some, manual installation and updates are a downside, for others it isn't.

thanks for explaining. reading this has been quite the experience.

I think the major problem folks have with it, is the distribution method, as I described above. No way you are going to get around that. Authors WANT folks to visit their mod page, download/endorse their mod from there. A mod pack, as you want to implement, deprives them of all of that.

There are many mods that use other mods or mods' assets, scripts and all in their files, and even with content from authors outside Nexus, like tmp7704 from moddb, NewSea from newseasims, or Anto from coolsims, to name a few.

This is mostly the case for overhauls where other mods are included in the author's mod, or pack if you can say so, without the requirement for users to download the other mods individually "This mod does not have any known dependencies other than the base game". Folks don't even see/visit other modder's pages, since they're not even linked in the "Required" section. Users would need to check the credits section in the mod's description to help the authors they like.

(search for "overhaul", "redesigned", "redone", etc in some mod's credits or mentions)

I see no problem in this, since the authors all got the permissions and gave credits to their fellow modders. But still those mods are not seen as packs and are an "acceptable compilation". Why would a mod pack be any different and not be accepted?

After all this discussion, I believe that what Nexus mean by "mod pack" is a mod that simply adds some other mods into it and is uploaded as is, with nothing else being modified, customized or added to the whole package itself, so it's considered as "not acceptable".

On the other hand, mods like "overhauls", despite having characteristics of mod packs, with other mods/assets included, are not considered as "mod packs", because the whole pack (or the whole mod) has its own customizations.

Correct me if I'm wrong with this conclusion.