Modding From Start - Steam or GoG Galaxy?

EpiceneBlue

Hello all. So I'm coming back to modding Skyrim after a very long absence being ill. I was wondering, now that Skyrim SE is on GoG Galaxy and I saw some post on Reddit about it maybe being better to mod that version?

So to all those modders out there who haven't been gone forever, which version would you suggest as the easier one to mod and the one less likely to get broken all the time by updates?

It is not 'being broken all the time'.

1.6.353 was Jan'22, then 1.6.640 was in Sep '22, and no changes since.

And if Bethesda decides to update again, pretty sure update will go out to both Steam and GOG - so neither platform is 'safe' from it. At least on Steam, you can block it from updating.

And if Bethesda decides to update again, pretty sure update will go out to both Steam and GOG - so neither platform is 'safe' from it. At least on Steam, you can block it from updating.

GOG allows you to turn off auto-updates and to roll back to a previous version if you want to. So it has that advantage.

But all the tools are built for Steam and GOG needs some fussing to get some things working.

Advantages of each.

GOG

• Can make a full backup of install files and mods and restore it without internet connection.
  • No DRM layer that might change or disrupt your accessibility to the game in the future.
  • Update can be manually applied when you are ready, so if you wanted to play immediately you always can.
  • Don't need to use Galaxy or other software.

Steam:

• Most updated version is pushed so you don't need to install patches manually and can always play on the supported version.
  • Mods are better at catching up to Steam updates these days.
  • Steam achievements and integration into profile.
  • Probably the biggest advantage, Steam also has the Creation Kit available for download.

There was a small number of once-off MO2 tweaks and shortcut arguments to do with SSEEdit and the differently named My Games folder with the GOG edition.

Edited by Guest