Nexus Mod Manager plans, answers and if you're a coder, we want yo

Dark0ne

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like NMM. I like its simple interface. I only use it for Skyrim and only to install mods. I think it does a very good job there. Dark one you will have to excuse me here, I have been using Wrye Bash for years and years with Oblivion and OBMM as well. I have a lot of merged mods with a bashed patch that if I used NMM for would probably break them (some very touchy mods). Most of those mods were hand installed before I ever used a manager. Yes that is nuts in this day and age but back then and in Morrowind days I installed everything myself as I did not trust a manager to do it right. So for my old trusty Oblivion installs I use those 2 managers.

But for Skyrim I use NMM to install instead of bain. I just like it better for this. But I use a bashed patch (Why since so few mergable mods now and why IDK) and some mods I have do merge so need this. what I like in Wrye Bash is the BOSS integration but I usually just start BOSS from the GUI anyway.

I think NMM is very very good, yes there are some things I would love, BOSS integration, plugin merging would be nice too. I do sometimes get the server busy but I just d/l again and it is usually fine. I live in the Western US and generally find the servers to be good. I think the Seattle and San Jose ones are my favs. They seem to deliver more times than not.

For free software that helps me organize, mod and play my favorite game I am more than please. Keep up the great work and Thank you.

NMM is, in its current state, like a windows RTM (release to manufacturing)... with less bugs.

PLEASE DO NOT READ:

Disclaimer: You agree to not have any thoughts of hamburgers and/or beverages of any sort if you choose of your own free will to continue to read what is written with a shaky finger below.

On a serious note:

What I feel would add to NMM in general usage is of more "make the convenience more convenient" sort of thing.

( I might have missed this feature, correct me if I've missed it) A more convenient way of tracking what mod was last installed would be as easy as to adding a 1, 2, 3 etc.. tag in the left margin rather then using the install date since the date isn't actually of that much of an importance when all you need is a quick reference to which mod installed before/after which.

A feature that I would just love being implemented, if possible, is when you are having those "necessary" 200+ mods laying there tempting the hell out of you ( you all know what I am talking about... all those HD textures, 128k elven body texture, HAL9000 super scripted mods etc...) would be that you load your mods into a wizard and NMM is taking care of the rest by installing the mods in the correct order.

I wouldn't expect anything to be the pink shiny button of all solutions, but for some future implementation that would make modding for beginners a Kama Sutra experience complimented with some Tantric moments...

Just a couple of thoughts about NMM and what I think would make it more convenient for beginners/lazy users (NOT feeling guilty... NAHA!!)

... and... I made you read it all, didn't I... *face-palm* ... told you to not think of any burgers and/or beverages... lol, there you did it again...

To the Nexus team: Bloody well done chaps and all the best of luck to your continued efforts of making life easier for the gamers, me included.

Oh wow, if you could integrate Starbound support in NMM, you'd basically force me to give you all the heterosexual love I can give you.

No, really, Starbound support would make me smile for a week straight. Assuming in direct consequence there'd be a thriving Starbound modding community...

Okay, let's just keep it on the fact that I really, really, REALLY would love Starbound to be modded to all hell. Possibly surpassing Skyrim. And I love Skyrim to death. So that's saying something.

Edited by RJ the Shadow

When I go to the SourceForge.net page and navigate to Summary > Browse Code > CodeSVN, I get an error message:

Error 403

You don't have permission to do that. You must ask a project administrator for rights to perform this task. Please click the back button to return to the previous page.

Do we need express permission to download the source code?

In response to post #11067753. #11067778, #11069223 are all replies on the same post.

I think sovereignrune was just giving a friendly jest reply. I have no problem with anyone with anyone here at Nexus. I can't speak for the other way, but as far as I'm aware no one has a problem with me.

Other than that, what I stated above is where I'll have to leave it. To say more would just result in me being misunderstood regardless of what words I use. Frustrating for me, but there it is.

In response to post #11086867.

When you navigate to Summary > Browse Code you get a list of 6 options.
I'm curious: What motivated you to
a) try the last option first
b) try ONLY the last option...
c) ... before immediately posting here

To answer the question: NMM uses mercurial (not svn) to host the code and that is available through "Release Code" or "Dev Code" Edited by Tannin42

I'd be disappointed if NMM was *not* in a perpetual beta, considering the scope of what you want to do and how determined you are to get there. It's difficult to believe that you might be "chastised" for something as silly as not slapping a "stable release" sticker on what you know to be constantly developing software. I can see no good reason for doing that until the software reaches the point at which *you* are satisfied with its stability and you consider it to be 95% feature complete, etc. Common sense.

Wanted to add that your point about the game-developer chipping in makes perfect sense. I would think any game-developer creating modifiable games would jump on your bandwagon to whatever extent he can. By helping Nexus he does little but help himself at the same time. I think this is a viable route for you to pursue.

Edited by WaltC