Looking to get the new i8 14900KF when it comes out in 2-5 months

We dont know exactly when.

I know I will need to replace my near new LGA 1200 MB, for a LGA 1700 which is reportedly still a standard for the 14th gen chips.

But here is my current rig:

i9 10900KF mildly overclocked via XTU

very robust liquid Cooling setup.

64 GB of DDR4 RAM at 3200 mps

NVIDIA 4070

SSD running my game (modded FO4) but its not the new SSD standard but the SSD is 5 yrs old.

So..... would a i9 14900KF do me any good?

Or will it only be useful if I upgrade to DDR5 RAM, the new SSD standard and a 4090 or at least a 4080?

(I am moderatly well off, but this is adding up quickly)

My intent is to still play Fallout 4 for the next 2 years with ever more mods and with ym current rig my game is not free of stutter.

Maybe go Wabbajack.

Thoughts?

PS: Sorry about the typo in title. Do not see a way to edit title.

The 13th gen i9 would be a significant performance boost, at stock clocks, the 14th gen likely even more so. (again, at stock clocks.)

850 is the minimum for a 4090...... If you have a buncha other stuff in there as well.... It may not be enough.

The 13th gen i9 would be a significant performance boost, at stock clocks, the 14th gen likely even more so. (again, at stock clocks.)

850 is the minimum for a 4090...... If you have a buncha other stuff in there as well.... It may not be enough.

I just have the regular "peripherals".

GPU, CPU, CPU liquid cooling 320 mm with its component pump, 2 SSDs, 1 HDD (4T), plus the GPU cooler.

I am not hurting for money but I do hate waste and will retire soon, so hence the attempt to reuse what I can.

Would it make sense to add a 14th Gen Chip to my current more pedesttian hardware, w/o upgrading the GPU and perhaps the RAM to DDR5 as well?

I wonder if my GPU cooler and my CPU cooler would be compatible and/or sufficient if CPU and GPU are upgraded?

I've never really been a fan of liquid cooling. Somehow, putting WATER inside an electrical device just doesn't quite feel right. (but, submerging an electric pump in gasoline does????? hhhmmmmmm.......) I just have a mondo air cooler on mine, and temps are stable regardless of what I am doing, or temp in the room.

Is the 14th gen chip gonna use the same socket as your current one? (My guess would be "no".....) So, you would have to upgrade the system board in any event... might just as well go with DDR5, since you are changing anyway. (and may not get a choice if the 14th gen socket MB's don't come with DDR4 memory slots.....)

Proc might be overkill for the 4070..... It would become your performance choke point. Of course, vid cards are a whole lot easier to upgrade then CPU's. :D

But, from where I am sittin', going to the 14th gen chip is going to entail essentially rebuilding the whole machine anyway..... So, why not replace EVERYTHING, then sell whole the parts you aren't going to use. :D

I've never really been a fan of liquid cooling. Somehow, putting WATER inside an electrical device just doesn't quite feel right. (but, submerging an electric pump in gasoline does????? hhhmmmmmm.......) I just have a mondo air cooler on mine, and temps are stable regardless of what I am doing, or temp in the room.

The machine I am currently using has a Corsair h100i 240 mm AIO liquid cooler, but it is probably overkill for a 4790K@stock.

The only issue I have had with it is the loud fans, although this may also partially be due to the default case fans that Corsair shipped with the 750D when I built this machine in 2014.

My more recent build uses a Noctua D15S air cooler with a 5950X@stock. I had more trouble mounting that cooler than I ever did with the h100i, the sheer size of the D15S made it hard to align the cooler on the mounting bracket pins while lowering it onto the CPU.

I have never heard of mondo.

The machine I am currently using has a Corsair h100i 240 mm AIO liquid cooler, but it is probably overkill for a 4790K@stock.

The only issue I have had with it is the loud fans, although this may also partially be due to the default case fans that Corsair shipped with the 750D when I built this machine in 2014.

My more recent build uses a Noctua D15S air cooler with a 5950X@stock. I had more trouble mounting that cooler than I ever did with the h100i, the sheer size of the D15S made it hard to align the cooler on the mounting bracket pins while lowering it onto the CPU.

I have never heard of mondo.

Mondo: Slang term. Means "Big". :D

I have a Noctua air cooler as well. Two huge 'radiators' and two fans, though I only use one. No room for the second one, too much stuff in the way.

:geek: Thx for reminding me it's almost time for...

My computers jacks on pins still need an occasional pull and push to rub off some oxidation. All those little tiny jacks to all those little tiny sockets, with little wires with barely enough of a protective coat to prevent them from sharing little bits of tiny lightning shocks across any crossing over any others. Just like cables in my old car.

Cross them old wired spark plug cables after about 10,000 miles and the car gets really poor gas mileage.

Happy cleaning and refreshing your little pins and jacks.