[Mod creation and community knowledge] I'm getting pissed off

ArchAngelAries

Everyone I see releasing mods like texture replacers, mesh edits, and Esps says that Starfield assets/modding is completely different from previous Bethesda titles, from texture compression methods to nif structure to even Esps, but yet almost every author that has such mods released has a dozen or so comments questioning on what tools they are using to do so or how they are doing it actively refuse to give any answer as to how beyond a very brief explanation like they are somehow using Fallout CK/xedit and that there is a new compression type to save textures. I've searched everywhere on how to do things myself but can't find any mention of tools or methods, and every author being asked seems hell bent on hoarding the f*#@ing knowledge. This is f*#@ing bullshit. There used to be a f*#@ing decorum on linking the tools/methods you used to f*#@ing make mods or at least giving them a mention in a credits section on your description page. The only tool i've seen is BAE and that doesn't really help without knowing how people are editing meshes and textures properly, and every author releasing Esps doesn't even respond to questions on how they created the damn thing. Why the f*#@ is everyone keeping their methods secret??! I s#*! you not, I saw a comment on a skimpy spacesuit mesh edit that was LITERALLY A f*#@ING NIF REPLACER and the author was asked if there are tools to edit meshes and if the mod is a mesh edit and the f*#@ing author says, "Sadly not"!!! f*#@ing lying POS!!!! How the f*#@ did you edit the nif then if there aren't tools to do so??! Even if the tools aren't Starfield specific tools people should be sharing their methods! This is f*#@ing bullshit!

I'm not being a whiny entitled brat here, well maybe a little, I'm literally just pissed because I'm trying to learn the current working methods, and everyone refuses to give any real answers. This "figure it out on your own" perpetuating in the Starfield modding community is selfish and f*#@ing toxic.

If you took the time to read this, thank you for hearing me out and taking the time to read this.

Im tired of seeing pointless "mods" being uploaded just to try to scam points like I have seen so many mods that are useless like one for example cargo increase there's literally a perk for that!! I just hope all the spam uploads are dealt with people are just uploading literal sheit at this point

Everyone I see releasing mods like texture replacers, mesh edits, and Esps says that Starfield assets/modding is completely different from previous Bethesda titles, from texture compression methods to nif structure to even Esps, but yet almost every author that has such mods released has a dozen or so comments questioning on what tools they are using to do so or how they are doing it actively refuse to give any answer as to how beyond a very brief explanation like they are somehow using Fallout CK/xedit and that there is a new compression type to save textures. I've searched everywhere on how to do things myself but can't find any mention of tools or methods, and every author being asked seems hell bent on hoarding the f*#@ing knowledge. This is f*#@ing bullshit. There used to be a f*#@ing decorum on linking the tools/methods you used to f*#@ing make mods or at least giving them a mention in a credits section on your description page. The only tool i've seen is BAE and that doesn't really help without knowing how people are editing meshes and textures properly, and every author releasing Esps doesn't even respond to questions on how they created the damn thing. Why the f*#@ is everyone keeping their methods secret??! I s#*! you not, I saw a comment on a skimpy spacesuit mesh edit that was LITERALLY A f*#@ING NIF REPLACER and the author was asked if there are tools to edit meshes and if the mod is a mesh edit and the f*#@ing author says, "Sadly no, not yet"!!! f*#@ing lying POS!!!! How the f*#@ did you edit the nif then if there aren't tools to do so??! Even if the tools aren't Starfield specific tools people should be sharing their methods! This is f*#@ing bullshit!

I'm not being a whiny entitled brat here, well maybe a little, I'm literally just pissed because I'm trying to learn the current working methods, and everyone refuses to give any real answers. This "figure it out on your own" perpetuating in the Starfield modding community is selfish and f*#@ing toxic.

If you took the time to read this, thank you for hearing me out and taking the time to read this.

First of all calm down , I can understand your frustration , I am a modder myself, releaed lots of mods and I am mostly into new meshes add ons ... that said I modded long ago skyrim and fallout so now I do not remember much of the new updated stuff... yes bae should work fine for extracting, the textures can and need only to be replaced inside the folder with proper path and the ini file must be created ... starfieldCustom.ini to add the following lines in it.

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

That said this is where I stopped checking how to mod , I made a small test of texture replacement but it took so much time updating the saves from xbox ( where I play ) to pc that I gived up trying for now .

I basically only edited the patch of constellation spacesuit as a test.

I think we need a modding subsection ( for guides, help and tutorials ) in this Starfield Forum .

I highly recommend joining SF modding Discord server. Link is in the first pinned post of this forum.

And theres no nif export tool atm, author didnt lie to you

If there's no nif tools, then how are they editing nifs? Literally deleting sections of spacesuits to make them skimpy, literal nif replacers. You can't have edited nif mods without a tool to edit nifs. Tell me again how I'm wrong, or the author isn't lying? Care to explain the screenshots proving the nif was edited and that they say there's no tools to do so, yet their mod is an edited nif replacer?

80Vfiv6.pngvWo2QEc.pngwLg4SxX.png

Everyone I see releasing mods like texture replacers, mesh edits, and Esps says that Starfield assets/modding is completely different from previous Bethesda titles, from texture compression methods to nif structure to even Esps, but yet almost every author that has such mods released has a dozen or so comments questioning on what tools they are using to do so or how they are doing it actively refuse to give any answer as to how beyond a very brief explanation like they are somehow using Fallout CK/xedit and that there is a new compression type to save textures. I've searched everywhere on how to do things myself but can't find any mention of tools or methods, and every author being asked seems hell bent on hoarding the f*#@ing knowledge. This is f*#@ing bullshit. There used to be a f*#@ing decorum on linking the tools/methods you used to f*#@ing make mods or at least giving them a mention in a credits section on your description page. The only tool i've seen is BAE and that doesn't really help without knowing how people are editing meshes and textures properly, and every author releasing Esps doesn't even respond to questions on how they created the damn thing. Why the f*#@ is everyone keeping their methods secret??! I s#*! you not, I saw a comment on a skimpy spacesuit mesh edit that was LITERALLY A f*#@ING NIF REPLACER and the author was asked if there are tools to edit meshes and if the mod is a mesh edit and the f*#@ing author says, "Sadly no, not yet"!!! f*#@ing lying POS!!!! How the f*#@ did you edit the nif then if there aren't tools to do so??! Even if the tools aren't Starfield specific tools people should be sharing their methods! This is f*#@ing bullshit!

First of all calm down , I can understand your frustration , I am a modder myself, releaed lots of mods and I am mostly into new meshes add ons ... that said I modded long ago skyrim and fallout so now I do not remember much of the new updated stuff... yes bae should work fine for extracting, the textures can and need only to be replaced inside the folder with proper path and the ini file must be created ... starfieldCustom.ini to add the following lines in it.

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

That said this is where I stopped checking how to mod , I made a small test of texture replacement but it took so much time updating the saves from xbox ( where I play ) to pc that I gived up trying for now .

I think we need a modding subsection ( for guides, help and tutorials ) in this Starfield Forum .

Not gonna calm down, I have every right to be pissed off. I already understand how to add mods to the game, that's not the issue. Not being able to create mods due to knowledge gatekeeping and authors refusing to share how to create them, and some cases straight up lying, is the issue. You mentioned you've created texture mods for Starfield, but no one, not even you, have explained what the new texture compression is or how to export it in the new format, people are editing nifs and deleting whole sections of the mesh and saving them back as nifs again, people are making ESP mods, AND ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is sharing how they are accomplishing this.

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Not gonna calm down, I have every right to be pissed off. I already understand how to add mods to the game, that's not the issue. Not being able to create mods due to knowledge gatekeeping and authors refusing to share how to create them, and some cases straight up lying, is the issue. You mentioned you've created texture mods for Starfield, but no one, not even you, have explained what the new texture compression is or how to export it in the new format, people are editing nifs and deleting whole sections of the mesh and saving them back as nifs again, people are making ESP mods, AND ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is sharing how they are accomplishing this.

There is no new texture compression , just open the dds file of bethesda after having extracted with the BSA extractor and recolor and save.

i understand the frustration, but on my side its more about modders dont answer at all

but i also met a lot nice modders helping out and sharing their knowledge

its all about perspective, u cant change people, but u can be better and learn out of others mistakes or bad habits

it will get better, knowledge cant be gatekeeped forever ^^

hope u still have a good day

Yeah, an0nym0uz, I understand your frustration, but I believe it is not so much that modders are refusing to share information, but more that none of us really know that much yet about how the game really works under the hood, so to speak, so many modders just don't have an answer when asked. So, sometimes it's best to just get up and go grab a drink or take a break when you find you blood starting to boil. Anyway, good luck! And, hopefully the tools like xEdit and the CK won't take overly long to be released - but they will require a little bit of time before they are.