SFSE for Microsoft Store / Game Pass version?

DemonwolfC6

SFSE "can" and "does" work with GamePass version if you know your way around Windows internals/permissions.

No, it doesn't. You think that it does because people have made kludges that let the plugin manager sort of work. Currently there are no mods using Papyrus or most of SFSE's features (or the current feature set of SKSE) because there's no editor. All of those would be broken if you tried using them with the hacks to make it launch on the GP build. People who enable a partially-working version of SFSE on GP now are selling you a false promise that it will continue to work. Guess who the users would complain to when that hack stopped working?

But yes it does, the windows apps folder which contains starfield just needs to get permissions changed so you can view it and modify the folder, you just drop in sfse folder in, plugins and done, there is no hacking involved and this just shows how misinformed some are. Microsoft did good job with brainwashing people.

Ianpatt is one of the guys who created the script extenders and what he is saying is that while you can make the Game Pass version load DLL plugins now when the Creation Kit comes out and people start making mods that use SFSE added script functions (the "script extender" part) they won't work on the Game Pass version. The code will be injected into the wrong places because the executables are different.

Rather than arguing over SFSE for Game Pass someone should just make a dedicated DLL loader so that players won't think that future SFSE dependent mods will work on Game Pass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It sounds like Microsoft makes it impossible to use starfield with mods.
I played starfield since release on a daily basis for hundreds of hours and after completing every achievement i wanted to start modding the game like i did with every bethesda game before.

and i am more then disapointed that the things i could do arent possible with Gamepass on pc.

I dont understand the policy behhind it but i also dont understand the stubborn SFSE creators who sure could come up with a solution but giving up much to fast IMHO.

we as just users can only support moddders ( especially financial) when we are able to use thoose mods, and to be honest i dont see any reason for me to support mods i cant use, even its not the modders fault.

But... who creates an essential mod loader for such a popular game and then maes no effort to give it to all users?

is it my fault because i use gamepass, is it my fault that MS bought Bethesda ?

alone that microsoft owns bethesda makes thar choice of the SFSE Dev more then questionable, dont make a essential piece of modding only for people who dont use the publishers own plattform, how dumb is that

so i say f*#@ it and uninstalled starfield in a whole, i am niot willing to opllay those games that the SFSE dev and MS play, so to hell with it, this game wont get me as mod user at all, and i dont think about to buy that game on steam again.+

I put a bucket over it and goodbye starfield.

i am not willing to buy i game for 60 bucks when i can play it through on gamepass for the 2 month period i needed for that for only 20 bucks.

But yes it does, the windows apps folder which contains starfield just needs to get permissions changed so you can view it and modify the folder, you just drop in sfse folder in, plugins and done, there is no hacking involved and this just shows how misinformed some are. Microsoft did good job with brainwashing people.

who said that, show me any link that leads to a description how to give the neccessary permisions to make SFSE working for the PC-Gamepass version of Starfield.

There are hundreds of users on redit claiming they found a workaround and i tried a lot of em, none of em worked, the most ridiculous one even stated that one had to use the starfield.exe from the steam version.

i only believe it with proof, means Link it or its a lie.

If you think asking the SFSE developers to break the law so that you can play the game for less cost then you have no idea what "support modders" actually means.

The script extender devs have been doing this since at least the Oblivion days (probably Morrowind). Even back then certain versions of the game from certain storefronts were not supported because THEY LITERALLY COULD NOT SUPPORT THEM.

They've been a godsend to the modding community. You, on the other hand...

It sounds like Microsoft makes it impossible to use starfield with mods.

I played starfield since release on a daily basis for hundreds of hours and after completing every achievement i wanted to start modding the game like i did with every bethesda game before.

and i am more then disapointed that the things i could do arent possible with Gamepass on pc.

I dont understand the policy behhind it but i also dont understand the stubborn SFSE creators who sure could come up with a solution but giving up much to fast IMHO.

we as just users can only support moddders ( especially financial) when we are able to use thoose mods, and to be honest i dont see any reason for me to support mods i cant use, even its not the modders fault.

But... who creates an essential mod loader for such a popular game and then maes no effort to give it to all users?

is it my fault because i use gamepass, is it my fault that MS bought Bethesda ?

alone that microsoft owns bethesda makes thar choice of the SFSE Dev more then questionable, dont make a essential piece of modding only for people who dont use the publishers own plattform, how dumb is that

so i say f*#@ it and uninstalled starfield in a whole, i am niot willing to opllay those games that the SFSE dev and MS play, so to hell with it, this game wont get me as mod user at all, and i dont think about to buy that game on steam again.+

I put a bucket over it and goodbye starfield.

i am not willing to buy i game for 60 bucks when i can play it through on gamepass for the 2 month period i needed for that for only 20 bucks.

Yes, it IS your fault you chose to play the game on gamepass. Currently, neither Beth, nor MS support modding the game, but, that will change. Beth will release the tools, and likely a patch to make modding easier, but, GamePass, and others, likely STILL will NOT support SFSE. Wanna use the script extender? Buy the game on Steam. Not like you haven't already gotten your money's worth out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL With this thread, who needs movies? I just want to sit back with a packet of crisps and a pint and watch the mayhem unfold. Somebody clearly understanding nothing about SFSE and how it works, arguing with the creator of said Loader if it works on GP or not. You really can't make this up.

And then users, complaining about the consequences of their own decisions. Just classic.

Anyway, I'll be back in the background enjoying the show.

• Like 1