Make Custom NPCs wear modded / new items

Hello everybody,

first things first: If this question has been asked before, I do apologise for the doppelgaenger and I'm happy to read through the existing thread.

I have come back to TES IV and modding after some years of absence and wanted to spice up the NPCs in a mod of mine with new equipment.

The mod itself works, the NPCs are there as well, but I cannot get them to wear customs clothes and armour.

I already have some mods and overhauls installed and will give you the complete list below, hoping you guys can help me figure it out.

1. I am playing TES IV Game of the Year Edition with Knights and Shivering isles expansion

2. The mods I have installed are:

As explained above, I would like my new NPCs from "MyMod" to wear for example the HGEC Boots. The boots itself work perfectly fine on the PC but not on NPCs. Same goes for other custom equipment that I tried to put on my NPCs. They all work fine until I try to give them to an NPC from MyMod. Funny thing is, when configuring the NPC in the contruction set, the render window shows them as desired, with the custom equipment. When I start the game and enter the cell the NPCs are still....well naked (due to Realistic Look). I tried messing around with the load order of the plugins but I could not get it to work.

Is what I am trying to do possible, if yes, how can I achieve this?

If you guys need more info, or my explanation was not comprehensible, just lmk :smile:
Thank you so much for your help!

Maybe is a conflict with some scripts. Also is your mod using HGEC boots mod as added master? Without it Oblivion can leave them naked because of uknown IDs defined on them, if this equipment wasn't defined in your mod too. For persistent NPCs already saved it can be that Oblivion simply not update their equip and old is gone, leaving them naked.

Thanks for your replies, guys! :)

Do you have a savegame where they wear another equipment?

Did you open the console ², click on them and type ressurect?

Yes I have other versions and savegames, where the NPCs wear original equipment with no issues. The ressurect command did not help, unfortunately.

Maybe is a conflict with some scripts. Also is your mod using HGEC boots mod as added master? Without it Oblivion can leave them naked because of uknown IDs defined on them, if this equipment wasn't defined in your mod too. For persistent NPCs already saved it can be that Oblivion simply not update their equip and old is gone, leaving them naked.

I created the NPCs from scratch and they are not scriptet (yet) so that should not be a problem. However, I don't think my mod is using the boots as added master, I did not set anything up to do this. Also, I cannot add the boots to my inventory via the player.additem [reference] command. How do I get my mod to use "external" items?

One problem that can happen with mod added equipment is the assigned value of that equipment (frequently set to zero value).

How are you adding this equipment to your NPCs (ie via console, using the CS or using a mod)?

One problem that can happen with mod added equipment is the assigned value of that equipment (frequently set to zero value).

How are you adding this equipment to your NPCs (ie via console, using the CS or using a mod)?

I am using the CS to edit the NPCs inventory. The value of e.g. the boots is 100.

Thanks for your replies, guys! :smile:

Do you have a savegame where they wear another equipment?

Did you open the console ², click on them and type ressurect?

Yes I have other versions and savegames, where the NPCs wear original equipment with no issues. The ressurect command did not help, unfortunately.

I created the NPCs from scratch and they are not scriptet (yet) so that should not be a problem. However, I don't think my mod is using the boots as added master, I did not set anything up to do this. Also, I cannot add the boots to my inventory via the player.additem [reference] command. How do I get my mod to use "external" items?

Standard CS doesn't support multiple masters so the only way is to define your own equipment. Even when you check multiple esps and in CS all looks OK, in reality Oblivion will see these objects as uknown and will ignore them, as only master to look at will be Oblivion.esm. Oblivion itself doesn't use editiors IDs, but their Form representative in hex format - the one you will see when you point mouse to any editor ID without selecting it and wait about 2 secs, with exception that in Oblivion the highest byte represent mod order (01 - FE, FF is reserved for dynamic objects), so you must check the actual order of your mod when typing such commands in the console. However you can try RunTimeEditorIDs OBSE plugin, which should allow you to use editor IDs at some more memory usage and longer Oblivion start.

If your NPCs are persistent, you can try to begin a new game to check this, as their status isn't baked in save yet. If you see them still naked, there's some problem with equipment definition.

Edited by RomanR

If you are using a save where they were either naked or wearing something else you may need to select them in the console (to get their refID active in the console) and then use the console command update3d.

NPCs will wear the armour offering the most protection unless their current package has the unequip armour flag set (in which case they will only go naked if you are using EngineBugFixes ... otherwise they will ignore the flag and continue wearing armour if no clothing is available for a particular body slot).