Browser hijacking warning on Nexus!

WhoGuru

I've made some personal changes to the ad network syndication. Could the people experiencing this issue please report back on whether they're still getting these nasty ads from here-on-in? I cannot replicate the problem on my end probably because the ads aren't geo-targetted to the UK where I am.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. Sadly it happened again. My browser was just jacked by a Nexus add again. I didn't get an image of the ad itself before I was redirected to this page:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/whoguru/The%20Piv%20Pile/JackedAgain.jpg

However I was on the download page for one of my houses, here:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27088

and had just tried to navigate to my profile when it happened. As per usual, I had to use the Task Manager to kill my browser altogether.

Okay. Sadly it happened again. My browser was just jacked by a Nexus add again. I didn't get an image of the ad itself before I was redirected to this page:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/whoguru/The%20Piv%20Pile/JackedAgain.jpg

However I was on the download page for one of my houses, here:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27088

and had just tried to navigate to my profile when it happened. As per usual, I had to use the Task Manager to kill my browser altogether.

I know this isn't going to be much help, but I've had that same hijacker hit me several times when on other websites. My firewall doesn't stop it, and closing Firefox is the only way to get away from it. It seems entirely random. But it has only happened to me once on the Nexus, and I leave both the Forums and the TESNexus windows open and logged in sometimes for several hours. The only time it got me on the Nexus was when I had disabled my firewall because I was reinstalling it due to another problem. I'm using Comodo Firewall Pro, if that helps.

Bumping this to make sure it doesn't get ignored. :thanks: I'm having to argue with my husband now about adding the Nexus to our list of unsafe/do not go to sites. :wallbash: I really don't want to do that so I hope you can resolve this someday soon.

Can anyone verify the problem with Chrome?
The cache feature in Google Chrome and Opera causes issues with the dynamic nature of this site. See if there is an advanced option to disable or severely limit how much the browsers cache files on this site.

For example, if something hiccups and the file not not fully uploaded or downloaded, the cache engine takes over and "keeps" that partial file as if it were the entire file and any attempt to touch that file again is pulled from the cache rather than the actual file.

The same thing happens to the menu system too. When logged in, you are given a different set of menu links which are only valid for somebody logged in. If you logout or the site logs you out due to a reboot or whatever, the browser cache in Opera and Chrome can make it look like you are still logged in even though the site is displaying "error" messages saying you need to login...which you cannot if the menu does not change from a "logout" status to a "login" status.

Well, at least those were the problems I experienced when trying out those browsers with this site.

Regarding Browser Hijacking

If your browser is re-directed (hijacked) to other sites no matter if you are on the Nexus or other sites (assuming you have someplace else to be other than the Nexus...hehehe) then I'd suggest starting a witch-hunt for a rogue trojan / spyware / adware that is running rampant on your system. Go grab a copy of MalwareBytes and run it on your system to see if you have infestations and clean them up. If so, it is usually impossible to tell where you were originally infected since they RARELY will reveal themselves while you are at the site of infection (otherwise the site would be easy to identify and shutdown).

Take a look at an article I wrote on TESNexus regarding how to protect your PC.

LHammonds

Regarding Browser Hijacking

If your browser is re-directed (hijacked) to other sites no matter if you are on the Nexus or other sites (assuming you have someplace else to be other than the Nexus...hehehe) then I'd suggest starting a witch-hunt for a rogue trojan / spyware / adware that is running rampant on your system. Go grab a copy of MalwareBytes and run it on your system to see if you have infestations and clean them up. If so, it is usually impossible to tell where you were originally infected since they RARELY will reveal themselves while you are at the site of infection (otherwise the site would be easy to identify and shutdown).

Take a look at an article I wrote on TESNexus regarding how to protect your PC.

LHammonds

Thanks LHammonds but back when this first happened that was the FIRST thing my husband did. Our PC is protected as he's a bit paranoid about Malware. We're clean. The problem as Dark0ne has told me is that some of the ads on Nexus have been hacked. Do please don't be one of those people who automatically assumes it's the users fault and then ignores the problem just because it's easier. :thumbsup:

The cache feature in Google Chrome and Opera causes issues with the dynamic nature of this site. See if there is an advanced option to disable or severely limit how much the browsers cache files on this site.

Whoa, slow down! I don't excatly know what 'cache' means, probably since English is not my native.

don't be one of those people who automatically assumes it's the users fault and then ignores the problem just because it's easier. :thumbsup:
Please do NOT automatically ASSUME I was talking directly to you. If anybody, it was more towards Herculine's experience if you cannot tell (re-read 1st sentence). And yes, Dark0ne has noted many times that ad companies get infected and he takes care of it by removing them ASAP. Since he has said this, it would be silly of me to say the same thing over again. Catch the ad, report it and Dark0ne will smit the ad. This is not something that can be "resolved" since ad companies are an extremely high profile target for hijackers...it can only be dealt with on a per attack issue. Not even Microsoft is safe from them. However, premium accounts do not display ads and therefore are not subject to that risk in case you were not aware of it...which could be viewed as a method of resolution.

Whoa, slow down! I don't excatly know what 'cache' means, probably since English is not my native.
I suggest becoming fluent in Google speak. Knowledge is a powerful ally.