Hi Newbie here with question

mrhodes93

Hello, I heard about this site and figured I'd join to find a community and educate myself! So I really haven't done mods since my wiiU days when all you had to do was put in a mini-USB that someone already had a folder ready to go all you had to do was drag and drop. I'm fairly new to modding in general with Steam games on PC. I mainly wanted to introduce myself and ask a two-part question. First, where is a good place I can learn? I know a lot will say Google or YouTube, but are there any specific channels or forums I should look into? Secondly, I'm mainly looking here for mods for Starfield and I can understand console commands but when the instructions for something like this for example I get confused a bit and need clarification if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I feel like I'm overthinking it but that's why I wanted to ask. to me, I only have to create a folder named the starfieldcustom.ini. but what's ini.? I'm used to just writing something in note pad can I just write what is written below in a notepad document look for a converter and put it in the game folder? or am I an Idiot? I feel like I have a general grasp but need some guidance. I am just using this as an example mainly as an extent of my knowledge.

Example : https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/4115
REQUIREMENTS:
- The mod only requires a 'StarfieldCustom.ini' file in 'Documents\My Games\Starfield' folder
(if you don't have a StarfieldCustom.ini file, create one) and add the following lines:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

First, where is a good place I can learn? I know a lot will say Google or YouTube, but are there any specific channels or forums I should look into?

I too wish to learn and connect with other modders. :)

First, where is a good place I can learn? I know a lot will say Google or YouTube, but are there any specific channels or forums I should look into?

I too wish to learn and connect with other modders. :smile:

A good start would be in the forums

for the game you want to learn....

Welcome to the forums! Have a fishy stick!

Fishystick.jpg

With regard to your example, I haven't played Starfield yet, but this procedure looks very similar to how it's done in Fallout 4. You must create a new blank file (any type will work, such as a new text file) and rename it to StarfieldCustom.ini. The contents of that file need to contain the following:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

This file must be placed in your "Documents\My Games\Starfield" folder for it to work.

What the file actually does is that it allows files from mods that you install to override the default files found in the .ba2 archives within the game folder, so that you can actually see and interact with whatever changes the mod adds in-game.

I hope I was able to make this example more clear for you. In the future, you'll probably get better advice by asking these questions in the specific sub-forums for the games that you're interested in.

Good luck, and I hope you have a lot of fun here!

Welcome!

Maybe these instructions will help confuse you straight away so you figure out how to make a new page and save it correctly?

I found out that to make a file of any kind, and for this ini, I just needed to open Notepad with new page yet unnamed.

Copy and Paste to Add those lines to the blank page,

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

then click on "Save or Save File As" then in the save file window of the folder you're putting it in; paste the name of the page StarfieldCustom.ini on it

Here's a yank that confused me a lot; I learned how to correct after several other tries to make it so.

In Notepad you need to make sure that the save as "Your save INI doesn't get overwritten a bit. Notepad didn't know any better then I did. I argued with the Creator about it. Then I figured it out.

To get things perfect, When you have the name in the name space "StarfieldCustom.ini" in the upper row, look down below it, it says to the left "Save as Type". you will see what type is set up. In good ol' Notepad change it needs to be changed to All Types or it will change your INI to a Txt.

Make sure the list with "All Types" is set in that list. Then Save.