Dungeon Siege

Dark0ne

Dungeon Siege combines the immersive elements of a role-playing game with over-the-top intensity and non-stop action. Dungeon Siege plunges you into a continuous 3D fantasy world where you face off against an army of evil that has been unleashed.

You begin as a humble farmer, and as you travel through the world and gain new skills, you can gather a party of up to eight characters to aid you. Dungeon Siege impels the player into one over-the-top battle after the other as the storyline unfolds and a larger plot begins to reveal itself.

Fun game. Really good hack'n'slash. The storyline isn't too bad, either. :P

However, I found in the end it becomes somewhat pointless, especially if you go online, when someone can just hit a button, type in a six letter code, press enter, and totally max out their character instantly (you can do that offline too but in an online environment it makes being a legit high leveler utterly pointless). Takes the whole point out of leveling up, which is about 7/10ths of the game unfortunately. :P

• 2 weeks later...

ya, i agree. the whol game was pointless if you were playing against someone who had all the cheats on, including never miss arrow fire (grrrr.. i hate that cheat). It was quite good, and the graphics werent to bad either, especialy in the chamber of stars.

i thought about getting the add-on, but in the end i opted for the Morrowind GOTY edition

Ugh. This is an incredibly boring game. How they managed to do this with a hack and slash "rpg" I have no idea, but somehow they found a way. The whole game is nothing but a mindless Diablo clone, but with none of the character variety that gives Diablo2 so much replay value.

And then there's the disaster of a party system, where if you die/join late/otherwise get separated a bit in levels from the highest person, you're doomed. It was such fun joining 10 min late and getting to the point where I couldn't kill anything, so couldn't get any experience, and therefore died even faster.

All I can say is thank dog I didn't actually pay for this "game".

Microsoft sent me DS free wanting me to review it on Morrowind Chronicles (tbh...wtf?). I really enjoyed the game.

To me, "RPGs" like DS, KoToR, Diablo are really just storylines you have to play through. They're not challenging or deep, but they're fun to play for those people who want to go through an interesting storyline.

If I want story with no gameplay, I'll go watch a movie or read a book. Very, very few games can provide that kind of quality storyline.

And easy =/= boring. I've played easy games (Morrowind, for example) that were still a ton of fun from a gameplay perspective. Dungeon Seige's problem is that it's boring, almost painfully so. The gameplay isn't easy, it's a dull, repetitive chore that has to be worked through to finish the storyline. After playing for a couple hours, I was still using the exact same "one arrow, slow rate of fire" attack I'd started the game with. Except now there was a slightly higher number next to my damage. What amazing fun....

Compare that to Diablo2, where my similar character has multiple completely different attacks. All of which are much more fun... a hack and slash game needs to hack with style. It might be shallow gameplay, but tearing apart hordes of enemies with overkill attacks is FUN. Lets have huge-area attacks, wading through a knee-deep pile of bodies. Dungeon Siege only fits the "hack and slash" definition in that it doesn't have any plot.

I personally enjoyed DS, enough to get the expansion. Can't say much on the expansion because every time i try to install it says there is a error with expansion.dres and that it cant find sound gas tree or something like that.

i have DS and for some odd reason it wont work any more its in perfect condition and its happing with some other games of mine like Deus Ex and Serious sam i dont know why?

• 3 months later...