I need to quit gaming...

InDarkestNight

Yes, I do have things to lose. I have countless programs installed that I would have to re-install INCLUDING COUNTLESS PROGRAMMING TOOLS. I also have my mod organizer folder, which I would prefer to not lose. I also have countless programs I've made which I don't have backups for 99% of which.

Besides, how am I supposed to re-install windows? It came with the PC, so I don't have a disc for it. I do have Ubuntu on a disc I tried once, but apparently WINDOWS 10 DOESN'T LET YOU INSTALL ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM.

I am thinking about reseting the computer, which would uninstall all my stuff, but at least it would keep my files and folders. Of course, I may not be able to do that given that the winre thing won't let me login no matter what I do. I'm having to run the computer through a windows 10 installed I have on a usb drive, which so far isn't working out too well. I'm trying to use the DISM tool, but apparently the command prompt suddenly doesn't recognize any of the commands. Fml. I just need to throw this overpriced piece of garbage in the trash. What use do I have for it I don't game anyway? My laptop here can do anything else I need, even program. Like I said, maybe I need to just stick to laptops from now on. Let's be real, even if I did get this hunk of junk to work again, what would I use it for? Seriously? All I've been doing with it since quitting skyrim is watching youtube pretty much.

That may be what I have on the USB. It supposed to be an installer, but I don't understand how that could be when you normally have to pay for it. It does start up the installation window thing when I turn on the computer with it plugged in, but I've just been selecting the 'repair computer' option. Also, I'm not too happy running things from my usb; I've heard that destroys them really fast. I do however happen to have blank discs that can hold over 4 gb, so maybe I could use that instead? Yes, you can still buy cds in my town. You can even still buy music cds here, seriously. They have ariana grande on cds at walmart believe it or not.

Edited by InDarkestNight

On 11/21/2023 at 7:01 AM, InDarkestNight said:

All the games I enjoy have been rendered into either something I don't enjoy, or straight can't play. I quit buying games years ago because I got sick of everything I love always been torn away from me. This of course means I inevitably ran out of games. I've tried to play games I've always despised simply because I have nothing better to do. I can't find joy in any of these stupid games no matter how much I try to play these pieces of garbage.

I've been gaming for longer than I can remember, literally. My earliest memories gaming were playing super mario bros 3 on the nes, and I was already familiar with the first few levels. I really have nothing left to do with my free time other than game. I got bored with TV years ago, and I quit listening to music years ago for reasons that would take too long to explain. Gaming is all I had left, but now its been TORN AWAY FROM ME BY UTTERLY WORTHLESS BETHESDA AND EVERY OTHER GAMING COMPANY OUT THERE.

Why am I posting this? I don't know. I need to find something else to do, given that I can't game anymore AND I HAVE NO f*#@ING CHOICE IN THE MATTER. I have thought about making my own games, but honestly I don't know if I could keep those either. Even if I have the source code, how can I ever know if it'll compile on a future OS? Also, seeing what happened to flash, I don't have much faith that anything in python will last. You can't even use any code made in version 1 or 2 anymore, regarding python. Maybe I need to quit trying to make games. Everything digital simply doesn't last. I'm better off just having nothing to do with it anymore, even though I'm a certified programmer. Yeah, I really regret my degree. Dumbest decision of my life.

Seriously though, what else can I do to occupy my time? Just stare at the walls all day? Wait every day for nightfall so I can spend a few minutes pointing my telescope at something? Read books all day every single day for the rest of my life? f*#@ the gaming industry, f*#@ the music industry, f*#@ every industry. Over the past few days I'm actually starting to think that the bible has a point, in that it says that reach people stand no chance of going to heaven (I'm a religious none btw, seriously).

Anyway, I need to find something else to do other than stare at the walls. I don't know what else I can do. I can't listen to music anymore, I can't watch tv (haven't had internet service in years and years now), and now I can't game. Why am I not allowed to keep the stuff I love? Worthless greedy companies. Does bethesda seriously think anyone in their right mind is going to buy es6 after what they did to Skyrim? There's more people playing skyrim than that stupid scifi game they just released ever had, despite them DOING EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER TO STOP PEOPLE FROM PLAYING THE GAME.

I'm sorry, I'm frustrated and lost. Maybe I need to just read the bible all day long and consider returning to the faith of my youth. As I've aged, I've gradually seen the thing as more and more rational, due to what I know about the world now. Anyway, bye, and I don't even know if I'll be checking this later. I just needed to vent I think. Maybe I should just start a diary and vent there rather than to the void of the internet.

edit: Decided I need to clarify some things. I'm not a homophobe, I don't believe in young earth creationism, I don't hold anything against people of other religions, blah blah blah, and I have no intents on changing that. I doubt I could ever be a Christian opposing these things. I didn't say I agree 100% with the bible, just some its teachings such as Jesus' claim that rich people can't go to heaven that I already mentioned. Money just ruins everything, and nothing good comes of it.

I can't say that money ruins everything.  Do you remember some twinkling bells playing  Turkey in the Straw! ?

5 hours ago, InDarkestNight said:

That may be what I have on the USB. It supposed to be an installer, but I don't understand how that could be when you normally have to pay for it. It does start up the installation window thing when I turn on the computer with it plugged in, but I've just been selecting the 'repair computer' option. Also, I'm not too happy running things from my usb; I've heard that destroys them really fast. I do however happen to have blank discs that can hold over 4 gb, so maybe I could use that instead? Yes, you can still buy cds in my town. You can even still buy music cds here, seriously. They have ariana grande on cds at walmart believe it or not.

I have several USB drives at work that I use to install windows. (11, and 10, 7 was never really happy about installing from USB, and I avoided installing 8 like the plague) Reading from the drive doesn't do any harm, its write cycles that eat 'em up, but, even that is a lot less of an issue these days, as the technology has gotten a LOT better.

For windows, what you are paying for is the license key to activate it. If it has already been installed on the machine, and activated, then you no longer have to have the license key, MS knows the machine had 10, and it will activate shortly after getting online. (I usually install windows, then, once it actually gets to the desktop, run updates, and windows activates.) Have to make sure you install the correct version though. Home, or Pro.

Guest deleted34304850
19 hours ago, InDarkestNight said:

Yes, I do have things to lose. I have countless programs installed that I would have to re-install INCLUDING COUNTLESS PROGRAMMING TOOLS. I also have my mod organizer folder, which I would prefer to not lose. I also have countless programs I've made which I don't have backups for 99% of which.

Besides, how am I supposed to re-install windows? It came with the PC, so I don't have a disc for it. I do have Ubuntu on a disc I tried once, but apparently WINDOWS 10 DOESN'T LET YOU INSTALL ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM.

I am thinking about reseting the computer, which would uninstall all my stuff, but at least it would keep my files and folders. Of course, I may not be able to do that given that the winre thing won't let me login no matter what I do. I'm having to run the computer through a windows 10 installed I have on a usb drive, which so far isn't working out too well. I'm trying to use the DISM tool, but apparently the command prompt suddenly doesn't recognize any of the commands. Fml. I just need to throw this overpriced piece of garbage in the trash. What use do I have for it I don't game anyway? My laptop here can do anything else I need, even program. Like I said, maybe I need to just stick to laptops from now on. Let's be real, even if I did get this hunk of junk to work again, what would I use it for? Seriously? All I've been doing with it since quitting skyrim is watching youtube pretty much.

ever heard of backing stuff up? you should give it a go. its fun. a more fun than playing skyrim.

4 hours ago, HeyYou said:

I have several USB drives at work that I use to install windows. (11, and 10, 7 was never really happy about installing from USB, and I avoided installing 8 like the plague) Reading from the drive doesn't do any harm, its write cycles that eat 'em up, but, even that is a lot less of an issue these days, as the technology has gotten a LOT better.

For windows, what you are paying for is the license key to activate it. If it has already been installed on the machine, and activated, then you no longer have to have the license key, MS knows the machine had 10, and it will activate shortly after getting online. (I usually install windows, then, once it actually gets to the desktop, run updates, and windows activates.) Have to make sure you install the correct version though. Home, or Pro.

Is there anyway I can find what type of windows I have? Keep in mind, it won't even progress to the login screen.

That said, my usbs are a bit older. I bought them in a pack when I was starting my programming degree in 2017. They came in a pack of four, but I've only been using one. I only decided to make use of them here because I couldn't find the dvds I bought at the time (I have since located them).

If your computer was a pre-built, it should be documented somewhere.... either a sticker on the machine itself, or in the specs in the manual.

You don't want to use the DVD to install windows. That is going to be SERIOUSLY out of date, and you will spend DAYS doing updates. If you have a slow internet connection, that'll be "weeks". Use one of your USBs. Download the media creation tool from Microsoft, create your install media, install windows. That won't even scratch the lifespan of your USB stick.

It's also possible that your machine has an embedded license key for windows, in which case, it won't ask for it, it will just install the correct version.

Guest deleted34304850

i'd wager a bet those 2017 USBs wont have sufficient size. buy a new usb storage stick, they're incredibly robust, have masses of storage and are as cheap as chips.