So is it just SKSE mods that use a dll file that are broken?

EclipseShadow1

What it says on the tin.

I've been hearing around that along with the SKSE update, any SKSE mod that uses a dll file is also borked and needs an update. Just wanted to know whether or not this is true, and if so is it the only thing that's messed up the mods?

I ask because while I was fortunate to only have a few mods installed with only a couple needing an update, there's some older mods I'm hoping to install that use SKSE that don't use dll files, but also haven't been updated since around 2017-2018.

Still very new to modding and I just don't want to download a mod only for it to at best not work, or at worst completely wreck my save/game.

In a nutshell, yes.  SKE mods may need an update.  The other significant change is the expanded HEDR section of plugins.   Which is a good thing because it doubles the amount of formids used by ESL (and ESPFE) plugins.  But older versions of the exe (pre v1.6.311.0) can't read any plugin created or saved in the new updated CK.

7 hours ago, Zanderat said:

In a nutshell, yes.  SKE mods may need an update.  The other significant change is the expanded HEDR section of plugins.   Which is a good thing because it doubles the amount of formids used by ESL (and ESPFE) plugins.  But older versions of the exe (pre v1.6.311.0) can't read any plugin created or saved in the new updated CK.

So would something like the Flying Mod Beta mod work despite not being updated since it doesn't use a dll file, despite it not having been updated since 2017?

15 hours ago, EclipseShadow1 said:

So would something like the Flying Mod Beta mod work despite not being updated since it doesn't use a dll file, despite it not having been updated since 2017?

Most likely, yes.  However, it does list SKSE as a requirement, even though there is no .dll.  Best bet is to try it and see how it goes.

8 hours ago, Zanderat said:

Most likely, yes.  However, it does list SKSE as a requirement, even though there is no .dll.  Best bet is to try it and see how it goes.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Wanted to ask since it listed SKSE as a requirement, but since it doesn't use a dll I just wanted to double check with someone who's more experienced in this than I am.